Hello Mazda Community

ajrockr

Hi, I'm posting here because I wanted to introduce myself being as how I'm sure I'll be visiting and posting on these forums from time to time.

My name is Anthony and I just bought a MS6 the other day, first one; however this is also my first car that is stick. While I am here I might as well ask if any one has any pointers in some one who is new to manual, I would appreciate any and all advice I can get; so far I stopped stalling on first and stopped bucking real hard, I still kind of bounce a little bit but that will come in time. I'm still really slow at moving from first gear but this is still only my second day driving stick. Down shifting I can do but I am a little unclear at what speeds I should pop it into fourth, or third, and so on and I know never to down shift into first. Either way, even with the severe learning curve I'm having a blast and the more I'm getting used to it the more I'm starting to pay attention to whats in my car, like this morning on my way to work I found the SAT button on the radio :) lol. Hey, I even backed into my parking spot today which I couldnt do yesterday lol.

Anyway, with every hour I'm enjoying this car more and more and loving manual more and more and I'm sure I'll be visiting this forum to ask for advice on modifications once I'm completely comfortable driving stick.

Welcome to the Neighborhood

Poor, poor clutch....(bike)

It just comes with time...I give you mad props for having this car as your first stick shift. I learned how to drive on a 95 Civic DX 5 speed, which was stupid easy compared to this car, then went to an SRT-4 which is yet again another SUPER easy to drive car. It then took me a solid 2 months to actually get this car down packed to the point where I didn't shudder at all. (After 2 years of stick shift)

As far as your questions go, they really can't be answered. Manual driving is all about the relationship between the driver and the car. It just takes time, stick with it and you'll be alright. Yet again though, ridiculous props on learning to drive stick on this car (kissass)

now that you said that, it makes sense. i drove my friends civic si meugen (or however you spell it) and the thing was a breeze. I was starting up hill and everything

Welcome to the forums, hopefully you'll gain a lot of knowledge through it.

This is not an easy car to drive. Going from 5 years of stick shift driving, this took me a bit of time to learn. Not the most friendly clutch in the world. Fun to drive once you get past that though.

I hear Mazda's have sturdy clutches, is that correct? They can take some abuse? I also understand that its a Stage2 stock? Does that make it even harder to damage or no?

I hear Mazda's have sturdy clutches, is that correct? They can take some abuse? I also understand that its a Stage2 stock? Does that make it even harder to damage or no?

I wouldn't call them sturdy and they're definitely not a 'Stage 2' stock clutch. With most bolt-ons you'll be fine, but if you go big turbo you're gonna probably want to upgrade the clutch.

What are your plans for this car overall?

Just enjoying it for now, the previous owner put an hks bov and a CAI on but I want to either put a breather or a short ram intake on just as a reassurance I'm not going to water log my engine when I hit a big puddle (which happened to my very first car, not a fun night when that happened). I have another 2 years power train warranty on the car and I dont plan on doing anything bigger than cosmetic until that date hits.

Really this is just a daily driver for right now as well as a hobby for week ends, keeping it clean and doing minor little tweaks and stuff.

welcome to the forums!

and do u kno if the hks is running recirc or vta? these cars thend to run like crap vta

Welcome! where you from?

Funny thing is, my speed was also my first stick shift car. Even though ive learned to drive in my cuzins dsm and mkv gti.. this was still a challenge. I mean i dont really know if anyone can give you any pointers over the Internet on how to drive. LIke Autreyu said, its going to come to you. Lets us know if you got any questions. There are lots of helpful people on this forum

you can always sell your CAI and get an SRI their cheap compared to the CAI

From Caldwell, NJ (Essex County). If any one is in the area, I bought my car from Lincoln Mercury Wayne right on 23

and do u kno if the hks is running recirc or vta?

Have no clue, this is my first turbo as well. Until I get the hang of driving stick I'm not bothering fussing around with anything else; but I did reverse into my parking spot at work today for the first time, I couldnt do that yesterday lol, and I just happened to figure out why I'm bouncing while up shifting and am currently paying attention to myself while I up shift, apparently I'm letting go of the clutch to fast.

you can always sell your CAI and get an SRI their cheap compared to the CAI

That is an option, I was also thinking just now of buying a breather or what ever you call it so that if water does get stuck up the vents open and air is sucked through their as opposed the bottom of the tube and just cutting the intake pipe some where to install it, but just selling this CAI and buying something new is probably a better option.

Last edited:
Not yet, its all black and the previous owner put on tints to dark for me to see out of at night, a chrome gas tank lid and a set of rims that are actually growing on me. as soon as it gets nice out again I'll snap a few pictures

welcome to NJ MS6 club, we will find you, and most likely want to drive right next to you taking up many lanes. i'm in passaic county also near 23. this was my first stick car as well, save up your money, have at least a $4000 emergency fund lol. you'll know when you see me, i beleive im the only speed 6 with a roof generator.

What? (freak)

"spikey haircut" you can find them on Evos, STis, BMWs (around the sunroof) a form of aerodynamics.

speedrear09.jpg

Last edited:
welcome ajrockr!! i live about an hour north of you in the poughkeepsie ny area. i usually hangout with another silver ms6 and a red ms3. trying to find more mazda people to get up with tho

i like the spikey hair cut shredder!!!

I believe these "roof generators" are called wind diffusers

diffusers iirc are for usually for the undercarriage. these are called generators because they increase the velocity of wind streaming over the car, they dont diffuse it. the thing at the front of a Bimmer sunroof is a diffuser because it cancels the air attempting to breeze over the top (making no wind enter the car)

Back