Help Please!!!!!! Problems With 2003 P5

:
2003 mazda protege dx/2003 mazda protege5
ok so i have a problem with my 2003 protege5. i've noticed a strange noise that has been comin from the interior underneath the glove compartment. the noise sounds like a strange whining/air leak but i cannot figure out where exactly it is comin from. the cel is on and i had it read at a local auto zone. the codes that popped up were p0103 bbmaf sensor high inout and p0102 bbmaf sensor low input signal. now i'm pretty sure that my maf is screwed and i have one on the way. but i need to know what the sound could be. u can only hear it inside the car at idle and when accelarating from a stop. the car started running with less power and when you get up to about 4500-5000rpm it'll jerk and not accelarate any more i'm sure that this issue is caused due to my maf being faulty. but what is the noise i am hearing? what is located underneath the glove box i know it is a/c componants but could that be the noise? it does it wether or not the a/c is on or off. what should i be lookin for or anyone ever have this problem? any and all info would be greatly appreciated. the car has about 120k miles on it and gets regular maintenance and is completely stock and never driven hard. other then that if i keep the car under 5000rpm the car drives pretty normal with no noticable problems. (help) i need to figure this out so i can drive it back home to new mex which is a 8r drive!!! SOMEONE HELP!!

Last edited:
Have you checked under your hood to see if there are any disconnected hoses/tubing? That's the first thing I'd do.

Get your MAF sensor replaced first - sometimes a car with an f-ed up MAF sensor will make lots of weird noises, and can sound like s***. Otherwise, check the intake hose for cracks - a common problem on our cars.

Finally, not to be an ass, but post in the right forum next time - there is a separate forum for P5s, and you'll get ten times the number of responses that you'll get here.

Yes i have been under the hood checking everything i even pulled out the glove box and everything tryna figure out what it is. all hose are in place and all are in good condition. i do have a maf comin in on tuesday thanx to a fellow member so i guess i'll find out if the noise is caused by that. and i'm well aware there is a seperate p5 forum but there isn't a engine/performance section so i posted here as this car is a 3rd gen protege... but thanx for the info guys i'll be sure to post up when i get the new one on and let yawl know whatt happened. (rockon)

ok changed out the MAF and put a new air filter in and no Cel and the car is running like a champ thanks to P5SurchJunkE (nana)

Back