Dealership claims repeated P0300 is "normal" on "turbo cars" LOL

brianguild

:
2006 MazdaSpeed6
Dealership claims repeated P0300 is a normal CEL on the MazdaSpeed6

Guys, please help me out here. I'm getting the run around from my dealerships and senior techs on an issue they can't seem to figure out.

I purchased my MS6 back in January 09, so I've been driving it for about 6 months now. During that time, I'd say I have put on about 6k miles. I work at home, don't drive much, but when I do it's highway trips to Long Island, New York, New Jersey, etc. or 10 mile rides to pick up the kids from daycare.

Generally, this car has been a blast. Very capable auto. Fun to drive.

But, this CEL is killing me. It has come back 3 times since I've owned it, and the dealer can't figure out what the problem is.

The first occurance the dealership said "we can't detect anything wrong". The second occurance, the dealership replaced all the plugs. The most recent occurance (just this week), the dealership said "we can't detect anything wrong".

So, I'm leaning on my much more knowledgable mazdaforums members here. See attached PDF. Includes complete diags, IDS output etc.

What are your thoughts?

Last thing I need is this engine blowing up while I am on a business trip. Trust me, I do not flog this car at all. Those days are over for me. Also, this car is bone stock. The first time I got the CEL, it was low RPM cruising in sixth on the highway at 70mph. Most recent time, it was high RPMs coming out of first gear. I am particularly concerned that I am seeing misfires on all cylinder banks. I know the count isn't high, but I'd like your feedback on if this is actually normal, or if the dealership is pulling the wool.

Thanks guys.

-Brian

Attachments

• mazda6_scan_062009.pdf
    601 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:
um... if it was normal their wouldnt be a CEL in the first place for any CEL that comes on. They are trying to take you for a ride...

lol. i have the same problem. ive tried everything to make the code go away. new plugs, new coils, new injectors. new fuel pump. and 7 months later still comes on and off. the thing that frustrates me is that you would think eventualy it would change to a p0301-4. im just going to get a dynotune and c if that helps me somewhat

I would keep fighting it too. A CEL is not 'normal". As mentioned, if it was a normal occurence, it wouldn't throw a warning. If it is a normal occurence, Master Techs at Mazda should get off their ass and fix it. Until MNAO recognizes such a normal occurence, in writing, keep fighting it. It may be a common occurence and common code for that platform, but that doesn't mean it's normal.

I would keep fighting it too. A CEL is not 'normal". As mentioned, if it was a normal occurence, it wouldn't throw a warning. If it is a normal occurence, Master Techs at Mazda should get off their ass and fix it. Until MNAO recognizes such a normal occurence, in writing, keep fighting it. It may be a common occurence and common code for that platform, but that doesn't mean it's normal.

+1 Couldn't of said it better myself!

I had the same P0300 CEL. I also had violent hesitation from the engine when the CEL came on. It turned out to be incorrect spark plug gapping. Mine are now gapped to about .025 (.024-.028) is the recommended gapping. I have not had this CEL since.

I would assume the OP had a new set of OEM plugs replaced that second time through with the code, right? It wouldn't hurt to try a different plug, since they are cheap anyways. Not exactly sure what plugs come stock in the MS6, but I know it's typical to go a stage colder with turbo applications. Wouldn't hurt to try a new set like jkunze.

see if this helps.... sorry Mitchell wont let me copy and paste so i printed the screen..try zooming in and it will help to make the text more clear... and htere is jsut so much more that i cant copy and paste so if u have any questions jsut keep in touch about this...there is also 26 steps for the diagnostic procedure so if u have questions ill try to answer them

Diagnostics
http://tinypic.com/r/9rhsa0/5

Possible Causes
http://tinypic.com/r/2pyq5b9/5

Last edited:
Fellas, they did the new plugs, after the 2nd time this occurred. I am worried about this car. I am concerned this is something that could lead to permanent engine failure.

I read the part where they did the plugs, but I would try a new brand and a different range too. It could be something as simple as that, though at the same time, there's so many different things that could cause a misfire. It could be absolutely anything along the line in the fuel system or electrical system.

I had the same P0300 CEL. I also had violent hesitation from the engine when the CEL came on. It turned out to be incorrect spark plug gapping. Mine are now gapped to about .025 (.024-.028) is the recommended gapping. I have not had this CEL since.

i thought corrct gapping was .028-.032?

and get densos and try those. they come pre gapped and u can pick em all up for like 40$

Guys - does anyone have any more thoughts on this? I am still experiencing this problem, and the dealership still hasn't figured it out despite multiple visits and occurances.

I get p0304...cylinder 4 misfire about every 2 months.
Dealership can't figure it out, have tried different plugs, moved plugs around, moved coils around. no matter what it keeps popping up cylinder 4. I keep turning off the cel with my dashhawk and keep hoping for the best.

This is all stuff you can check. Pull your plugs, check the gap, make sure they're not fouled, and go on. If one dealer can't fix the issue, take it somewhere else. My bet is probably a bad plug or a bad coil pack.

Back