P0304 Cel

Ok my car has about 30k on it and a few days ago i started getting this error code. I thought it was my forge bpv b/c i had it about a week then the car started giving this error code which is cylinder 4 misfire. I put my stock bpv back on and the car still gave this code. Whenever i hit the gas hard it goes but its like its stuttering. Has anyone else run into this problem? Right now im looking at the spark plugs and one of them looks extremely red compared to the others.

is it the cylinder 4 plug...

Change plugs and switch the cylinder 4 coil with a different one like cylinder 3 and see if the code changes to the other cylinder (if swapped with 3 then it will throw p0303) and still throws the code (p0303) then its the coil gone bad.

Ok my car has about 30k on it and a few days ago i started getting this error code. I thought it was my forge bpv b/c i had it about a week then the car started giving this error code which is cylinder 4 misfire. I put my stock bpv back on and the car still gave this code. Whenever i hit the gas hard it goes but its like its stuttering. Has anyone else run into this problem? Right now im looking at the spark plugs and one of them looks extremely red compared to the others.

Check your coil. Look at the base of the coil for a bubble where it appears to be melted and pushed out. You may be losing a coil, also check the wires coming from the coil where they go into the harness. Check to ensure the wires are not damaged or melted.

Fixed!

ok so i changed all the spark plugs and bam the thing is back alive agian! Is that normal on this car only after 30k? I think it has been bad for awhile actually bc it has been idling funny for a long time now. I put some IR fusion bosh spark plugs in and wow it helped alot i think i have been being robbed of power for a long time.

"Regular" cars today run much longer on their plugs. But our engine is nothing like regular. We run high boost AND high compression. On top of that our ECU is running the AFR very pig rich as a safety factor. All of these factors shorten plug life. I'll bet that when you pulled the plugs they all were very black, sooty looking from the rich fuel mixture.

Heck, I used to run a carbureted small block MOPAR musclecar in my younger days, making probably around 475 horses with a pretty radical cam and 700 cfm carb. Jetted for WOT flow, it would foul plugs like crazy if driven around town very much at slower speeds and lower RPM, I would have to clean the spark plugs or replace them at least every 1,000 miles. If we got tired of pulling them and cleaning them by hand, we'd just run the engine in high gear at or near redline for a few miles to clear the carbon out. Of course that will attract law enforcement if done in the wrong place at the wrong time!

Thank goodness that electronic ignition and direct fuel injection have ended the need for that.

I suspect that on our engines 30K miles for plugs is probably all we should expect and that may be good.

Last edited:
"Regular" cars today run much longer on their plugs. But our engine is nothing like regular. We run high boost AND high compression. On top of that our ECU is running the AFR very pig rich as a safety factor. All of these factors shorten plug life. I'll bet that when you pulled the plugs they all were very black, sooty looking from the rich fuel mixture.

Heck, I used to run a carbureted small block MOPAR musclecar in my younger days, making probably around 475 horses with a pretty radical cam and 700 cfm carb. Jetted for WOT flow, it would foul plugs like crazy if driven around town very much at slower speeds and lower RPM, I would have to clean the spark plugs or replace them at least every 1,000 miles. If we got tired of pulling them and cleaning them by hand, we'd just run the engine in high gear at or near redline for a few miles to clear the carbon out. Of course that will attract law enforcement if done in the wrong place at the wrong time!

Thank goodness that electronic ignition and direct fuel injection have ended the need for that.

I suspect that on our engines 30K miles for plugs is probably all we should expect and that may be good.

Wow i couldnt imagine replacing spark plugs that much that would get annoying as all hell. But i do suppose your right in which case someone should put up a little reminder or thing to do for people who have over 30k on the car. Im sure they will probably get better gas mileage and improved power by doing so.

We run high boost AND high compression. On top of that our ECU is running the AFR very pig rich as a safety factor. All of these factors shorten plug life. I'll bet that when you pulled the plugs they all were very black, sooty looking from the rich fuel mixture.

The compression ratio is relatively low at 9.5:1.

There is absolutely no reason for the plugs to be "very black, sooty looking" unless something is broken. The A/F ratio is rich only at WOT and high boost. For most driving conditions, the A/F will be stoich (it has to be because it is a ULEV vehicle).

The compression ratio is relatively low at 9.5:1.

There is absolutely no reason for the plugs to be "very black, sooty looking" unless something is broken. The A/F ratio is rich only at WOT and high boost. For most driving conditions, the A/F will be stoich (it has to be because it is a ULEV vehicle).

9.5:1 AND 15.7 pounds of boost AND pig rich AFR under many different driving conditions, not merely WOT. Of course, I'm running with mods that probably would not qualify my car as ULEV - especially the catless DP/RP and belching particulate out the tail pipe on the floor of my garage when I fire her up in the mornings!

Agreed however, the plugs should not look black and sooty, but that is what they will probably look like at 30k miles if you engage in what I would call "spirited driving" on a regular basis, especially around the base of the plug. That's how my stock plugs looked when I pulled them at only around 10,000 miles and replaced them with NGK step colder ones. They were not to the point of interfering with either the condition of the center electrode or the ground tip, but they sure were very black around the base.

Last edited:

+1 I'm going to hook up a scantool tomorrow and monitor afrs on a couple runs and i'm going to record a "movie" while I drive around the block.

Back