Protege5 Electric (EV) Conversion

neat Ill have to check that out. Damn it! You have to register to veiw the pics.

Edit: I wounder how much electric that thing uses to charge up.

Last edited:
HE's using a 140V system of LiIon packs, 40 cells...so I'd guess around $2.00 for a "fill up". Just an FYI, his battery pack is probably $8-10k. Using LiFePO4 batteries would have allowed him to shave about $4k off his battery costs but at the expense of about an extra 100lbs.

If they're willing to spend 10k on battery packs that will last at most a few years until they begin to lose their efficiency... I doubt they're concerned with the 2 dollar fill up. According to my calculations, they will save about $500 a year in gas. Which means it will take them about 20 years to break even.

Lucky for him, proteges last 30 years until they... (blowup)

EDIT: Nevermind, to break even with $17k it will take 34 years. I guess he better find a new car :X

one thing that kills me is that they never calculate what it takes to "fill up" those batteries from a wall socket. How much juice it takes and where that fossil fuel comes from. The electrical plants don't run on solar so the ultimate source remains the same. Well, maybe not from the middle east which is good.

Back