Factory Trans Cooler

Yeah, that's the photo I was trying to take for you but I couldn't get the cameraphone to take a good enough shot. I'll try to get under there tomorrow and get you a pic.

The pump is located on the front of the transmission. The loop goes into the bottom side of the radiator on one side, and then comes out towards the other side.

The line that you have labeled at the ATF loop is where you would tap into for the external cooler. Much like the hayden that was mentioned early in the thread.

SportsOwner,
Mazda articles mentioned
"heavy-duty transmission cooler and radiator fan".
My interpretation of that phrase is that there are transmission cooler and radiator (of course) on CX9 w/o Tow package, but the CX9 with TP has the "heavy duty" ones.

Okay, here they are. Sorry it took so long, had to find the right camera to take these pics. I've included a picture of the atf pump that you requested as well as a picture proving that I have the stock towing package and a view looking up from underneath the car just behind the radiator.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• ATF Cooler.JPG
    ATF Cooler.JPG
    623 KB · Views: 370
  • Factory Hitch.JPG
    Factory Hitch.JPG
    701.1 KB · Views: 352
  • Looking up through radiator.JPG
    Looking up through radiator.JPG
    550.9 KB · Views: 375
And you already confirmed that there isn't a third cooler in front of the radiator, based on my photos, correct?

Yours looks almost exactly like mine. The connector at the left fan is different.

Can you take a photo looking at the fans from the prop rod, and straight down on the left fan, like these?:

Attachments

• Both fans from hood rod.JPG
    Both fans from hood rod.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 264
  • Left Fan.JPG
    Left Fan.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Sorry I didn't get a chance to take pics last night, had to take the little ones to a bday party. I'll try to get those to you tomorrow.

Here are the pics from above. The only difference is that I have the two "heat-sink" looking things I described way back when you first asked about this. They say Denso on them so they obviously have something to do with the NAV system somehow.

Attachments

• From Above.JPG
    From Above.JPG
    734.2 KB · Views: 310
  • Left.JPG
    Left.JPG
    501.4 KB · Views: 286
  • Right.JPG
    Right.JPG
    548 KB · Views: 277
vikefan7,
The "thing" with "heat-sink" is the "fan control module" (based on WorkShop Manual).
Denso is a big company in Japan. Their product line covers many areas.
On Tow Package, there are two fan control modules, on regular CX9 (like mine), there is only one. The WorkShop manual also mentions this. However, it only mentions that some models have dual fan control modules. From comparing yours and mine, I think it is the Tow Package which makes the difference. Strange though, mine also have two fans controlled by one module. On Tow package, there are two control modules control two fans. More efficient? "Heavy-duty"? Who knows?

I also found something interesting (I believe someone asked about this), and I quote:
"Depending on the vehicle, the cooling fan may operate suddenly even when the ignition switch is turned off. Therefore, keep hands and tools away from the cooling fan even if the cooling fan is not operating to prevent injury to personnel or damage to the cooling fan. Always disconnect the negative battery cable when servicing the cooling fan or parts near the cooling fan."

So, our beloved cooling fans do activate even when the ignition is off.
Case closed.

Last edited:
The fan control modules are definitely different. I don't even have one on the passenger side fan, so that is the difference, not the ATF cooler itself. ('heavy-duty transmission cooler and radiator fan').

I will still need to add a front cooler to get more than 1500lbs. (Or replace the internal loop with the auxiliary cooler) At least now I know, and how to hook it up. Thanks for your help, vike.

Ceric, do you have any insight on the 'revised Engine Control Module'? Is it shift points, or temp sensing?

Last edited:
> Ceric, do you have any insight on the 'revised Engine Control Module'? Is it shift points, or temp sensing?

From what I have read before I bought CX9, the "programming revision" was about
- modifying shift points
- preventing trailer swaying under hard braking

It will be a while, since right now I don't need the 3500lb rating yet.

If anyone else out there installs one, go ahead and post your photos for anyone else interested.

When I do, I was thinking of bypassing the internal cooler by disconnecting and extending the lines on the bottom reservoir to go to the new cooler. Then cap off the original connections so the whole thing can be reversed.

Is the extra fan control module identifies that the CX-9 has the Towing Package? Does this tells me that my CX-9 got a Towing package?

Back