Factory Trans Cooler

Why not buy the OE one? Cost?
Any concern about voiding the OE warranty on your tranny?

Coolers are added all the time and will not void the warranty unless the cooler or install directly caused the problem. Another reason I want to match the factory cooler as close as possible.

The real problem is that noone with the towing package is sharing.

Can't help you there, Sports.
No tow package on my CX9.
I would be intested in an aftermarket tranny cooler to prolong the life of transmission.

Hayden has plenty of oil coolers for various applications. A simple $30-$40 will do a much better job than the factory tow package coolers. If memory serves me correctly, the tow package coolers are nothing more than a single oil return line with fins on it. This was the case in our 07' Odyssey with the Tow Package and my parent's S500 as well.

If memory serves me correctly, the tow package coolers are nothing more than a single oil return line with fins on it. This was the case in our 07' Odyssey with the Tow Package and my parent's S500 as well.

Well if that's the case then maybe it's been staring back at me the whole time I've been looking for something that looks like a mini radiator.

What's throwing me is the fact the the ATF capacity isn't listed twice, one for no cooler and one for with a cooler. You suppose they all have it standard, and Mazda used "trans cooler" to sell more tow packages?

This is why I'm hoping someone with a tow package can ID the cooler and it's location. Then I can compare my car to theirs. If nothing else, I can see what it looks like and match or exceed it.

Ive been looking at random cx-9's when I see them in the parking lot and have still to see one with the tow package.

I'd help, but I've been under my car a few times and still have no idea where it is. NExt oil change in 1000kms and I'll be more inquisitive.

be nice if other people on here were more helpful

Well at this point, the only thing I can do is crawl under my 9 to see but you can do that since it is your vehicle. (dunno) If you still need an answer when I get my manuals, I will be more the happy to see what they read and let you know. (2thumbs)

^^He doesn't have the tow package w/ tranny cooler so crawling under his car would not help him :)

I took a closer look and there is some kind of cooling on the trans. The loop goes into the bottom radiator reservoir, and comes back out. It also passes through what looks like a pump driven by a separate coolant loop.
What I need to look at now is if a CX9 with the towing package matches this. Mazda says the TP includes a heavy-duty transmission cooler and radiator fan. I don't know if that's what I have, or they add something beyond it.

Did you climb under the car to get a look at it? Can you take a picture of where it's located and I can see about getting under mine to see if they match up.

The pump is located on the front of the transmission. The loop goes into the bottom side of the radiator on one side, and then comes out towards the other side.

Attachments

• Both fans from hood rod.JPG
    Both fans from hood rod.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 415
  • Left Fan.JPG
    Left Fan.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 382
  • Right Fan.JPG
    Right Fan.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 374
  • Trans Pump.JPG
    Trans Pump.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 414
I'm pretty sure that all looks the same. I had a mechanic buddy come over and take a look and he says there isn't your typical external cooler anywhere, just a bunch of coolant lines coming out. Two that head to the radiator, one that heads back and one that goes up to the front somewheres

Also, I don't understand how you get these great photos. I was trying to get you a pic, but my SLR is a little too big to take under the car, so I was trying to take a pic with my phone camera and it just wasn't working.

In my supercharged accord V6, I had a 14"x8" Perma Cool oil cooler attached to the ATF return line from the radiator. Also had a temp probe connected to the return line to monitor fluid temp. Never had any issues with the tranny at a time when Hondas were notorious for tranny failures. At that time, the Accord was putting down 280WHP. The tranny ran with boost for 50K miles before I parted out the vehicle.

I'm pretty sure that all looks the same. I had a mechanic buddy come over and take a look and he says there isn't your typical external cooler anywhere, just a bunch of coolant lines coming out. Two that head to the radiator, one that heads back and one that goes up to the front somewheres

Also, I don't understand how you get these great photos. I was trying to get you a pic, but my SLR is a little too big to take under the car, so I was trying to take a pic with my phone camera and it just wasn't working.

I just have a regular digital camera I stick up in there. The other line doesn't go to the front. It goes up into a priming loop, then comes back down and into that round pump.

If yours looks like mine, then all CX9s have trans cooling standard.
If true, I'm not sure what increases the capacity from 2000 to 3500 pounds. Altering the shift points alone wouldn't make that difference.
Maybe someone more versed in modern adaptive transmissions can answer that.

The first photo with the labels was taken from below the car pointed at the pump. Can you get a photo like that?

Back