Protege Garage Turbo Inlet Installed

TheDoc

:
2008 Mazda Speed 3
Well, I had a chance to install Protege Garage's new stainless steel turbo inlet over the weekend.

First things first: the inlet is made of 304 stainless, and has a really nice polished finished. I believe they'll also be offering powdercoating options in a variety of colors.

18617489.jpg

Forgive the crappy pictures- cell phone camera sorta sucks, but you can get the idea.

The installation was fairly straightforward; I wrote up a how to here: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123744441

So, I got it thrown in and I've gotta say... I can't believe the difference this thing makes.

The fitment was perfect. My LTFT and STFT's are perfect, coupled with my Cp-e intake. My BOV recirc hose finally friggin' fits. But the best part, is how much it smooth everything out. The car is silkly smooth through the powerband... I absolutely love it.

IAT's with just my intake were between 6 and 10 degrees above ambient. After installing the inlet and driving hard around for a the evening, I was running between 2 and 4 degrees above ambient... that is a HUGE difference.

78847709.jpg

Looking at the two side-by-side, I can't believe that anyone would spend $200-300+ on an intake only to have it run to such a piece of s*** pipe. The Protege Garage piece is 2.5" all the way around, and manages to not interfere with the battery box, or anything else along the way- something that not all of the other options on the market can say. It also mounts up to the stock mounting points, which means that once its in- its in. Not going anywhere.

The difference in material is interesting- seeing as the stock piece is plastic. I've heard people say that the induction sound becomes more muted, but I disagree. I found that the induction noise is actually louder, however, the sound of the BOV into the stainless inlet became more of a "popping" sound instead of the "woosh" that it was. It's a much more endearing noise.

49373415.jpg

I never looked at an inlet as a "required" mod- just something that'd be nice to have... but for the price of the Protege Garage piece combined with the benefits of power and unbelievable driveability-- it's really something you have to have.

I'd like to thank Ken for supplying me with this awesome piece... its definitely something to check out.

Last edited:
thanks for this write up. i'm still a lil on the fence about this. but at such a reasonable price i guess ya cant go wrong.

yeah not bashin either but medieval's looks incomplete like its missing a bend. this one looks more like the HTP, which is the one i actually wanted. but not at that price.
its tough to spend nearly 2 hundred bucks on a pipe. Naw mean!!!!!!

I have one on order from Ken and a CPE CAI to go on at the same time. This should give a nice sotp gain. SW catted DP shipping today also and will be installed asap. Would like to get a before and after dyno number, will look around for this. I expect somewhere around 50 whp from these 3 items.

50 hp! i dunno, maybe with a tune. do you have some sort of engine management? you'd have to be able to turn up the boost a nudge and massage those a/f's to get that sort of gain out of and intake and dp.

I have one on order from Ken and a CPE CAI to go on at the same time. This should give a nice sotp gain. SW catted DP shipping today also and will be installed asap. Would like to get a before and after dyno number, will look around for this. I expect somewhere around 50 whp from these 3 items.

50 hp! i dunno, maybe with a tune. do you have some sort of engine management? you'd have to be able to turn up the boost a nudge and massage those a/f's to get that sort of gain out of and intake and dp.

1 way to find out....do the before/after dyno. this should be interesting. subscribing. (thumb)

DSPORT magazine just did a test and tune on a ms3. intake and tbe. all from cpe. IIRC, they freed up 33 hp. very impressive IMO. consider the cat back prolly did very little and the bulk of the gains were prolly made with the intake and downpipe.

i'd love to think we'd get fitty ponies outta the turbo mzr with those mods but it just seems a bit lofty to me.

the stock intercooler, 2nd cat are still restrictions. i dont believe that with my mods in my sig plus a dp would net 50 solid. you gotta have some EMU with a good tune to take advantage of the good flow.

I never looked at an inlet as a "required" mod- just something that'd be nice to have... but for the price of the Protege Garage piece combined with the benefits of power and unbelievable driveability-- it's really something you have to have.

Well, I blame you for pushing me over the edge and pulling the trigger on this (thanks!).

Last edited:
I'm going to get a turbo sticker and I should get around 80 more hp out of that one. If I get a red one, I should get 90 hp... as we all know, red is the fastest! J/K

Nice piece... I think I'm going have to get one after I saw the stock piece.

hmmm...the PG is stainless whereas CPE & cobbs are silicone...i imagine the silicone is better temp wise. is it a substantial difference (other than the price)?

hmmm...the PG is stainless whereas CPE & cobbs are silicone...i imagine the silicone is better temp wise. is it a substantial difference (other than the price)?

honestly, in practice, it makes no difference. we datalogged temps of 6 or more degrees cooler with our inlet. frankly for an inlet of any kind thats impressive. you are not going to see a substantial difference with a silicone inlet.

I`ve always thought this was mostly a pretty piece. All you guys that are claiming smoother response, if not actual gains, had better not be suffering from a placebo effect.

Back