Msp and high mileage

Ashkon

I am really interesting into buying an msp. I really want one but i am also currently dealing with a 337 gti. Any opinions on how they do with a lot of miles? like 100k miles.

As it is with any car .. it all depends on how well things have been maintained. If you look at a MSP with 100K miles, that's been kept by a meticulous and anal owner -- that's one story. But if you're looking at a MSP that's gone from owner to owner to owner, and God only knows how these different owners have been treating the car -- that's a completely different story, and a bad idea.

It's all about doing your research. If you find a MSP with high mileage that's had one owner, and is either stock or has tasteful mods, and that has been well maintained consistently throughout its life -- it should be alright. But as with any high mileage automobile, there's no promises.

I have 117k miles, runs perfect :) Just my motor mounts are bad LOL I have replacements though.

knock on wood* mines approaching 80k and runs great! surprised its holding up considering it was running 10psi unmodded and untuned for the first 35k miles I owned it without my knowledge =x

i'm the 3rd owner of my msp and the car runs perfect only thing i had to change was the thermastat.

hit 100k couple days ago and runs better than ever! lol. if you take care of the car it will take care of you

i agree with Rush, I bought mine as the 4th owner I believe, with 59,000 miles, and without properly educating myself on the car. Once I started learning and working on the MSP, it was obvious that previous owners tried to modify it and I spent the last year trying to rectify previous owners carelessness. I have had it exactly one year now and it has 77,000 miles and has seen the top of a tow truck three times. But I can say with all honesty, now that I went through a year of hell getting the car to where it should be, constantly doing my homework, and showing it the utmost TLC, the car is running strong, feels great, and I finally feel the way I should have when it was purchased.

i agree with Rush, I bought mine as the 4th owner I believe, with 59,000 miles, and without properly educating myself on the car. Once I started learning and working on the MSP, it was obvious that previous owners tried to modify it and I spent the last year trying to rectify previous owners carelessness. I have had it exactly one year now and it has 77,000 miles and has seen the top of a tow truck three times. But I can say with all honesty, now that I went through a year of hell getting the car to where it should be, constantly doing my homework, and showing it the utmost TLC, the car is running strong, feels great, and I finally feel the way I should have when it was purchased.

glad things are finally working out for you brother, we gotta meet back up soon!

as far as the topic goes, i just hit 116k and i've had almost no problems with my MSP. i keep the boost under 10psi and the ECU's stock maps flood the motor with rediculous amounts of fuel (last time i got dyno'd, car flatlined at 10.1 AFR @ 4k) so i don't have to worry about detonation. keeping consistent on oil changes is a must.

I've got 202k+ miles on my MSP, and it just recently warranted replacing the turbo due to the original stock one starting to leak oil. Also changed the motor mounts, SMIC, and piping, but really, everything has been running fine, it's just preventative maintainice.

Then again I don't drive my MSP like an asshole, so the real risk you run with buying a high mileage car of ANY kind, but especially something sporty like an MSP, is how it was driven/treated by the previous owner(s).

Increadible! One more reason I love Mazda! That is very inspiring to keep my spicy! I love this car, and it seems to have everything I could want and nothing that I dont, but I am always worried about when it will break down and when I should sell. I baby my car and now that I see that they can last for as long as I want to have it around; Its nice to know that I can have a track car for my daily. My MSP has everything already done to it right out of the box, so I can leave the modding to my race cars and enjoy a high performance daily driver without the worry of something going wrong

Back