Anyone Seen the 2010 CX-9? Yikes!!

vinsuz

My lease is up in about a year and WAS planning to get the exact same CX-9 (GT w/GT Assist Package + Moonroof in Brilliant Black/Black Mica), but I'm not sure what I'll do now that I've seen the '10 redesign.

I can't tell you how much I HATE the smiley face! It makes my beloved CX-9 look like a minivan!!!

Attachments

• 2010-mazda-cx-9-facelift.jpg
    2010-mazda-cx-9-facelift.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,056
the smiling face seems to be a trend with the mazda's

I was behind a Acura TL and i swear its ass end was grinning at me to take catch up and blow past him haha, btw the new TL's are fugly.

Totally agree with the smiley face. Why do they always have to mess with a good thing? The same thing happened to me when I bought my 04 Sentra Spec V. They had just changed the front and added this stupid bucktooth emblem and totally destroyed the cleaner look of the '03's.

I'm willing to bet the smiley face, esp on the Mazda 3 will be well received by most reviewers. Current owners, usually are a bit more critical and bias since they have the older look model. At least it lets its presence known, like the CTS for example in a good way, unlike the new TSX, TL, RL and MDX. Same when Audi went with the new corp grill in 05 or 06.

For small car right now, Civic no doubt is the big seller. The new Mazda 3 is going to sway a lot of Civic buying folks, unless they are blind to Honda. The smiley face makes it look a lot sportier and classier than the price would seem to indicate.

I will reserve judgment until I see them in person.

Actually I'm hoping I will be less offended when I see it in person and without a front license plate mount. If worse comes to worse, I'll just take a spray gun and black-out the chrome in the lower grill.

I do like the new fog lights and side mirrors though!

For 3 row SUVs (ok Crossovers if you must), CX-9 is still the best looking one. Though styling is subjective, it's hard to find another one in the same price range that looks better.

Highlander is quite bland (and smallist interior as well).
Pilot is outright atrocious unless you are into boxy look.
Ford Flex is a different animal (though Lincoln MKT might be in a different class).
MDX is in a different class costing at least $7-8k (compared to the GT with all the incentives though MSRP to MSRP, they are very competitive).

GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook are fine looking vehicle, but with the trouble GM is in right now, esp Saturn, why take the chance for a hit in resale value.

Chevy Traverse rear end doesn't look right and I bet visibility isn't that great either.

Buick Enclave is probably the closest competitor more on the plush side. Good looks and nicely appointed. Priced competitively with the CX-9 as well.

You do realize that Chevy and Buick are also GM owned and the Acadia, Outlook, Traverse and Enclave are all essentially the same vehicle?

Of course I know. I'm in the metro Detroit area. Same hardware, but vastly different styling.

Outlook/Acadia is very similar. Enclave the better looking of all of them. Traverse, coming late to the party seem to have an ill-designed rear look esp the narrow glass on the liftgate.

I agree with what you said. It was just that the way you worded it made it sound like the Chevy and Buick were not GM. Just clarifying.

I see ... but GM already said they are keeping Chevy, Buick and Cadillac. I presume GMC as well. Since Buick is their top seller in China, there's no way Buick is going away.

Yeah Buick is definitely popular in China. That is why Pontiac got shut down before Buick. This whole GM will be "temporarily government owned" deal has me worried about the future of all the GM brands.

Anyway, sorry for thread hijacking.....

Someone posted the Cars pic in another post. Doesn't get any less funnier seeing it again. I noticed on my '08 that the smiley face did exist on my model year, but it's not as pronounced and there's a piece that crosses it where the license plate is attached. Looks like Mazda just decided to exaggerate the smile a little more.

Well, in comparison, I would take the smiley face of Mazda than the sad face of Highlander or the goldfish look of Pilot any day.
Maybe, it is just me.

Well, in comparison, I would take the smiley face of Mazda than the sad face of Highlander or the goldfish look of Pilot any day.
Maybe, it is just me.

So the only other crossover that I think matches the CX-9 in design and styling is the Audi Q7, so I did a little MSRP comparison of comparably equipped vehicles. The result is probably not surprising; CX-9 GT with every major option except the DVD player was around $40,500. A comparable V-6 Q7 was over $55,000. For $15k I guess I can deal with a little smiley face! :)

Too bad VW doesn't currently make a VW version of the Q7. Toureg is only 2 rows unfortunately.

Don't think you can take a premium brand like the Audi and compare it with the Mazda. Besides free maintenance (I still they still offer that), Audi has been known to have the best interior quality, longer warranty (4/50 - don't know what Mazda has since this is my first Mazda) and better service (this I question since I have an A4 before and the dealership was the worst).

How about comparing it to the MDX (again you can argue both ways whether Acura is premium or not) or Buick Enclave? Buick may be slightly ranked higher than Mazda in terms of brand prestige. Besides Q7 is a bit long in the tooth already. The smaller 2 row Q5 just won the recent C&D comparo and I'm sure the re-designed Q7 will be much better, and more $$.

I got better service from my local Mazda dealer than from Acura dealer when I owned an Acura. Other than fancy dealership, my Mazda dealer offers service no less than Lexus at 1/3 of the price. Do you know how much is the 5,000 service for a Lexus? $200. That is just oil change + tire rotation + N-points inspection. You don't even get a loaner since it is not considered as a "major service". My local dealer would probably do it for $50-60 while you wait in dealership drinking coffee and having cookies.

I owned a BMW 540iA for 10 years. BMW is a nightmare to own once the warranty ran out. Same goes for Audi.
My brother owns a Q7 diesel abroad. There isn't Mazda CX9 in the country he is in (only CX7).

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, but the Audi dealership in metro Detroit (Bill Cook Audi) was hard to deal with. I guess one look at me, they realized I probably won't be upgrading to a $50k next from them (which is true). Even under warranty repair (coilpack, camshaft, autoclimate control sensor), I have to fight tooth and nail to get a loaner. That's right, a loaner from Enterprise.

The Acura dealership we didn't buy the car from was actually much nicer than the one we bought ours from. The one we actually bought from, from warranty work to services, refuses to give us any type of loaner, even if we call early (Acura of Troy). Acura in Farmington Hills was very nice and courteous each time. Loaner. No problem. Happy to oblige.

Since then I do all maintenance work on my own. Haven't step foot in the service area for almost 7 years now. Don't intend to with the CX-9 unless it is warranty related.

Back