coil packs

are you looking for a 'yes' or 'no' answer? or did you have a specific question? Yes, ppl have had to replace the coil packs. they do go bad on all cars and with ours right on top of the valve cover it's an inefficient design due to heat transfer. I keep backups of items like that in case it happens.

I wasn't aware that this was a big deal on our cars too? I heard they are big time PITA's on VW's. Infact, I test drove a 08 VW R32 with 40k on the dial and it was misfiring like crazy and had CEL's left and right. They had to replace the coil pack and spark plugs.

it's not a huge deal and its rare they go bad. However, as you described the problems with a bad coil pack, it'll just frustrate you more if it does go bad and you have to run around getting one without a ride if this is your only car. I use to work at an autoparts store and people coming in for coil packs are common, especially during summer time. If you've seen a 4g63 for example, theirs is located higher with a plug wire going to the spark plugs which gives them alittle better of a safety net for heat. Ours is right on the plug and with a TMIC you are keeping heat in between the valve cover and TMIC.

hot motor != running motor. plus i dont see an intercooler upgrade so i'm assuming you took time to remove the tmic and for it to cool. there is no way you would be able to work on a motor at operating temp. Plastic and metal absorb/dispense heat differently.

also why would you work on a hot motor. that's how you mess up threads.

hot motor != running motor. plus i dont see an intercooler upgrade so i'm assuming you took time to remove the tmic and for it to cool. there is no way you would be able to work on a motor at operating temp. Plastic and metal absorb/dispense heat differently.

also why would you work on a hot motor. that's how you mess up threads.

yeah, i replaced the plugs w/ the motor running. got a couple cel misfire codes but it's all good.

i changed my plugs on a hot motor and the coil packs were suprisingly cool.

i said hot motor. she (motor) was still hot 30 minutes after driving which is when i swapped out the plugs. the tmic was warm and the coil packs were suprisingly cool. newton's law of cooling in action.

i'll get exact temps and not use confusing adjectives next time i make an observation. mea culpa, pennsyltucky.

i don't understand why you are arguing with this. i'll note again, coil packs go bad on rare occasions. too much heat can cause this. this occurs in occasion like sitting in a traffic jam. this also causes heatsoak and why your fans turn on. it's not when it stopped running after 3 mins or 30 mins. if i come off as a dick then i'm sorry but i'm just telling it like it is. do what you need to.

think we're in violent agreement.

moredetails.aspx

Back