4 Lug Rear Drums to 5 Lug Rear Disc Brakes Conversion

xDJ DUBx

:
Slammed Thread President
As most of you know, I have a wrecked p5 in my possession and plan on doing the 5lug swap.

I would like to get a list of the parts of the p5 I need, that way during install I don't skip anything. D-rock and Damian, feel free to chime in.

I need to replace a bent lateral link and the driver side "A-arm"? is bent as well, do I need that?

All help is appreciated, thanks!

which A-arm ar you talking about/???

honestly.. the EASIEST thing in the world to do, is to unbolt the suspension from the p5(struts off of the spindles) and unbolt the P5 rear subframe with everything connected..

then, do the same with your stuff on your car, and bolt the p5 stuff, to yours.. SUPER easy.. total of like..16ish bolts! IF THAT

I think that's what its called. Its the lowest thick metal arm on the bottom behind the rotor and hub.

Basically, your saying to take the whole rear axle piece down there instead of doing piece by piece?

drivers side front? you can use the one you have on your car currently.

and yes, i mean the whole thing. do it how you want, but it's just easier to keep it all in tact. just a bit heavier. nothing a jack can't deal with.

Yeah, driver front. I thought so but I didn't know if they were different in some way, like how I can't use of my rear lateral links to replace the bent one. lol.

I wasn't questioning your way, I was just making sure that exactly what you meant. Sounds easier that way actually.

What about the front and brake lines?

Yeah, driver front. I thought so but I didn't know if they were different in some way, like how I can't use of my rear lateral links to replace the bent one. lol.

I wasn't questioning your way, I was just making sure that exactly what you meant. Sounds easier that way actually.

What about the front and brake lines?

what about the front?

the rear lat links are different sizes. that's why you can't re-use them. you'll have a s*** ton of positive camber i think.

Is the front pretty straight forward? I heard something about having to change the brake line or e-brake line or something like that.

Is the front pretty straight forward? I heard something about having to change the brake line or e-brake line or something like that.

you most def have to change the ebrake cables.. you pull out your console, unhook the ones already there, and put the new cables in there. easy

the front I would replace as little as possible.. probably just the spindle assembly.. including brakes. the rear, as he said, I would just drop the subframe and swap it all as an assembly... just get like 4 friends to help.

ebrake will probably have to be replaced from a certian point back (maybe the whole thing?), as I'd guess they've got different terminations for the actual actuator on the hub...

gottcha you are doing a FULL front and rear 5 lug swap..

You will need in the rear:
spindles, hubs, brake disc, pads, calipers (not sure about suspension)

In the front you will need:
hubs, brake disc, pads, calipers (good time for a MSP front brake upgrade)

should be a strait forward swap..

gottcha you are doing a FULL front and rear 5 lug swap..

You will need in the rear:
spindles, hubs, brake disc, pads, calipers (not sure about suspension)

In the front you will need:
hubs, brake disc, pads, calipers (good time for a MSP front brake upgrade)

should be a strait forward swap..

the p5 brakes will be plenty for his power level.. lol

sure would be HOWEVER if he is buying new brakes it don't cost any more (but the price of the calipers) to swap to bigger brakes...

ALOT of people do the MSP brakes on non msp cars (pro, pro5 etc)

sure would be HOWEVER if he is buying new brakes it don't cost any more (but the price of the calipers) to swap to bigger brakes...

ALOT of people do the MSP brakes on non msp cars (pro, pro5 etc)
my understanding is that they're shared with the mz6? this would make sourcing them used a lot easier, but idk if its 100% true. also, what about the proportioning valve?

About the rear lateral Links.

I did the 5 bolt conversion and i have some crazy negative Camber in the back.

Now if im not mistaken i used to P5 R.R.Ls. I have a 2001 Mazda protege.

So what is the difference between the R.Rl.s off a 2001 Protege and a Protege5.

Why did they have to be changed

thanks

Back