Strange A/C Behavior

illini97

Hey guys,
The weather here in Chicago is starting to get warm so I decided to turn on the A/C this afternoon for a bit in my 04 Mazda3. After letting it run for a few minutes, I noticed something very strange. Out of the two seperate vents in the center of the dash. The vent closer to the driver side was blowing hot air while the one closer to the passenger side was blowing cool air. I find that very strange as I've always thought they are connected. Has anyone had this similar problem? Do I need to recharge it somehow?

By the way, I tried both recycle and fresh air settings and result was the same (hot air one side and cool air coming out from the other). Even the cool air wasn't cold enough but definitely a noticeable difference from the vent that was blowing out hot air.

illini97

have you ever get the A/C lack of cooling TSB done or installed a cabin filter?

Hi TheMAN, I'm not aware of any TSB for the A/C lack of cooling. Do you have additional information on that? To my understanding, there's no cabin filter for the '04 Mazda 3. I asked the dealer last time and he pointed out that the filter is only available on the Mazda6. Is he yanking my chain?

illini97

wow, it only pays .4 so......see if they will, if they dont ask if u can just buy the parts, if u follow the tsb its a pretty simple job.

tsb is not a recall its a bulliten to the service dept about common problems so they are all on the same page. a recall is a different animal entirely. no they won't do it for free but if it says only .4hours so thats probably only 45$ or so as most hourly rates are around 80-90. plus the parts of course.

You can buy the kit and install it yourself,it only cost $7.95,just be careful when you put back the PJB connectors (Blue,Green,Orange)

Last edited:

Would installing a cabin filter reduce A/C cooling or increase it? While at the dealer the other day it was recommended that I get a cabin filter installed even though my OEM 2005 3 never came with it. My thinking is that cabin filter will reduce A/C cooling but the service advisor doesn't "believe" that'll happen.

Back