Obama's New Auto-Emissions Standards

Doodsmack

:
2002 Protege ES
Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section - the "Automotive News..." seemed to be Mazda-only.

I'm sure people have heard the news that by 2016 the "US auto fleet will be transformed" due to Obama's new auto-emissions requirements. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, because I really only took a passing glance at the news article, but does it mean that there will be no passenger cars with less than ~40 mpg?

From what I can read from Norwegian newspapers, it doesen't. They report a goal of 35,5 mpg average for cars and smaller trucks. But this number might be calculated using the 2nd gen imperial system used in the UK.

Still I think thats' less of a goal than the 120g/km in Europe.

i thought they were talking about all cars that were bought new by then to be over the 35.5mpg mark.....so only newly purchased vehicles would have to meet that standard. I hope anyways.

I thought the manufacturers had to average 35mpg over their entire line.. So you can still have trucks, but you need efficient vehicles to balance out the 20mpg trucks.

Last edited:
That's what I got from it too - you need some high mpg vehicles to help bump up the average for the low mpg vehicles.

i thought they were talking about all cars that were bought new by then to be over the 35.5mpg mark.....so only newly purchased vehicles would have to meet that standard. I hope anyways.

I thought the manufacturers had to average 35mpg over their entire line.. So you can still have trucks, but you need efficient vehicles to balance out the 20mpg trucks.

I thought people would look online and find an actual article.(scratch)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090520/ts_nm/us_obama_emissions_11

Under the new standards, U.S. passenger vehicles and light trucks must average 35.5 miles per gallon (6.62 litres/100km) by 2016. The current law, approved by the Bush administration, requires a similar gain by 2020.

The proposal is aimed at cutting climate-warming carbon emissions, which would fall by 900 million metric tons or more than 30 percent over the life of the program.

Back