Boost Sensor aka map/baro sensor

mesa3

I can't believe how many names there are for this part. I think some of the aftermarket suppliers also call it just a MAP sensor. Seems kind of strange how it is attached to the top of the air box without penetratating the air box. I bought this 2005 Mazda 3 2.0 at an insurance auction, and the air box and related parts were crushed and loose in the engine bay.

Three questions:
1. Would anyone be willing to take a digital pix of the pigtail that connects to this sensor? Again, due to the collision, the three wires for this pigtail were severed.
2. Is this sensor supposed to have a vacuum hose attached to the bottom of it?
3. Which Mazda 3 trim line has this sensor?

Thanks.

it should be a maf sensor and barometer. the vac line should be a breather line going from the valve cover to the intake should be connected to a nipple on the intake housing. some one probably had an aftermarket intake in there and took it out and just tossed the oem one in.

Thanks for the name clarification. When you say "intake", do you mean the intake manifold or the intake hose of the air box leading to the throttle body?

mazda320006.jpg

mazda320005.jpg

I see the hose you are referring to that connects the valve cover to the air box hose. What I was actually asking about is the baro sensor. Does the bottom of the sensor that has a nipple connect to anything. Attached is a pix of the sensor to which I am referring. The nipple on the underside was broken off, so you can't see it in my pix.

And I am still looking for a pix of the electrical pigtail. In this pix, my three wires are loosely inserted into the pigtail, as I didn't know the order.

Last edited:
wow that sucks. no the "boot" is just there as a protector to the barometer itself looking at that pic i would say you need a new barometer.

Question. Do I really need to replace that baro sensor just because that hollow tube broke off? I mean it will still monitor the atmosphere through the hole in the bottom of the sensor. What do you think?

it might. since no one else seems to be steppin up i will see if i cant snap a pic for you today of the baro sensor wiring.

Thanks, Tsunami. I plan on ordering from an internet parts dealer the following parts before I can start replacing damaged components:

Intake manifold
air box assembly (low emission)
Right motor mount
Left transaxle mount
Power steering resevoir
Radiator Support
Set of headlights
Hood
Bumper Cover
Right Fender
Clock Spring

I already picked up a driver's air bag locally; I will have to send my air bag module to a company who does the resetting of the module. Sounds like a lot of parts, but the car will look really good after replacing such parts.

eh doesn't sound that bad. headlights are crazy money. there are a couple of guys that are sponsers here on the forum that sell discount oem parts. ken at protege garage is a great guy and jason at onlinemazdaparts.com is as well. i have dealt with both and their prices are fair and service is top notch.

Back