Hints wanted: Interesting places in NYC / Long Island

isbre

Contributor
:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Proteg
Hi

Planning a east coast roadtrip this summer (more info in the Eastern US General section.) If anyone want to join me, definitely let me know!

I have almost 2 days prior to my roadtrip and 2 days afterwards to check out the city before I will fly across the Atantic again and I wonder what to see. This will be my second time in NY. The first time (a day and a half) I visited Empire state, Statue of Liberty, Little Italy, SoHo, financial district, Ground Zero, TImes Square and the southern half of central park. (I basicly bought a hop on, hop pff ticket the first day)

I read CitizenPro's thread and got some nice tips on where to eat, what I'm really after are nice places in NYC / Long Island that the normal tourist don't know about, any hints?

[EDIT] Going back to the US in March 2011 and will stay in New York between March 24th and 26th, anything I can't miss in that period?

Last edited:
i always tell people not to make a too busy schedule. take your time. walk around a bit, then sit down, take a break and watch people. take the staten island ferry to the island and back (free). take the train to brooklyn/queens and check out the manhattan skyline from there. looks nice from hoboken as well. there's also a lot of bars etc. or go to a yankees game at their new ballpark and enjoy a beer and some peanuts.

just a few ideas :)

Very nice to get ideas, exactly why I posted this thread!

Is there any yankees games on the 9th,10th, 26th or 27th of July?

What is the best way to get to and from the Newark airport?

thanks

Time of arrival is drawing near, less than two days now! :)

Still it would be nice to know the best cheap way of getting between Newark airport and Manhattan is?

Anybody got any hints?

Time of arrival is drawing near, less than two days now! :)

Still it would be nice to know the best cheap way of getting between Newark airport and Manhattan is?

Anybody got any hints?

hitch a ride with someone. lol otherwise really no cheap way. I am not sure if there is a train that goes between. I live out on the island so anything NJ is foreign to me...

hope you have a good time in NY...

hitch a ride with someone. lol otherwise really no cheap way. I am not sure if there is a train that goes between. I live out on the island so anything NJ is foreign to me...

hope you have a good time in NY...

Hi I bought a two way ticket on the bus. Probably not the best choice because I was delayed bacuse of a cancelled flight. I looked at the watch after I bought the ticket and realized that it's rush hour now - isn't it. It took a while.

Yesterday I was a bet beat and now I'm stuggeling a bit with jet lag, but I hope I'll have a nice time today before I start my roadtrip on saturday.

My day in NYC

Hi guys

For those interested, this is what I did on my day before the roadtrip. (short version)
First took the cable car to Roosevelt Island:
cablecar.jpg

cablecar2.jpg

Then I walk around the Island. Signs said I was on the historic walk with landmarks galore, and example I guess:
rooseveltisland.jpg

Then I took the subway to Queens, but didn't find anything interesting enough to use my camera.
Next I used the subway again down to Brooklyn and walk across the Brooklyn Bridge:
brooklyndbridge.jpg

Brooklynbridge2.jpg

Next I took the Stanton Island ferry both ways:
stanton1.jpg

stanton2.jpg

I ended my day walking towards Times Square but figured that could wait until I return from my roadtrip

Now it's time for breakfast and then get my rental to get pick up my rental

Almost back again now. I'll return for a two day stay in just two days. I read in a tourist guide in a norwegian newspaper that the cooles bars and discos in NYC does not advertise themselves, you have to know where they are. Naturally the newspapers didn't say anything else like where to find theese, anybode got any hints here?

big easy on 92nd n 2nd is a good bar, McDougal street downtown has a bunch o bars that are pretty good...

Sorry about the late update, there was a lot of stuff waiting for me when I got back home

My second stay on the trip was more of a normal tourist paste, but I did get to see something interesting still.
Magnolia Bakery:
magnolia.jpg

Hard Rock Cafe:
hardrock.jpg

Top of the Rock:
top1.jpg
top2.jpg

(I have some more top of the rock pics that I can upload if you guys want.)

Thanks for all the hints.
Let's keep this thread alive, even though it might be a while until my next trip to New York I hope it may be helpful to others.

As I wrote in the first post I'm going back to the US now in March. I'll be in the US between March 4th and March 26th and will stay in New York between 24th and 26th.

I have ordered a Statue of Liberty Crown ticket for March 25th but apart from that I don't have many plans, anything fun going on in that period that I just can't miss??

well i see youve been to roosevelt island but have you gone to the long island city piers? thats another nice place to view the city from.

well i see youve been to roosevelt island but have you gone to the long island city piers? thats another nice place to view the city from.

No Haven't been there, only visited the Piers on the west side, was a bit dissapointed that the Interpid museum was closed on the day I was there back in 09.

I'll check that out when I'm in NY, is there any good river cruises leaving from there?
When I first arrive March 4th I'll just use New York as a starting point, but I'll be in NYC between March 24th and 26th, do let me know if you will be in NYC and want to meet up somewhere

i know the water taxi is a couple of blocks away... i think its a party boat not sure since i havent been on it. try going b4 sunset since the view is nicer and the park is still opened. There is also a huge coca cola sign near it. I havent really explored my way over there but i know you can get to it and take a couple of pictures with it.

there is also a restaurant in the financial district that i would recommend for breakfast on a sunday, if you get to stay on a sunday. i dont remember the name and location but i will find out for you. Once you leave there you there is a nice little path that made out of stones, kind of looks like those old movies but with the missing carrages and horses lol.

Back