Unusually High RPMs On Protege 5?

Ksychic

:
2002 Protege 5 AT
Guys, just a quick question..

When I am cruising on the highway at say 65-70 MPH, this car is already at 3500 RPMs I believe.

I feel this is bad for the car, and the engine is stressing..

People here are constantly driving 75-80, and I feel if I take my protege 5 that high, it will just break down on me!

I have an 02 Automatic with 23k miles on it

Should I be worried, or does this happen to everyone and is this normal?

Also, would adding a few additions like a CAI or Exhaust help this?

I believe it would add 10-15 HP??

i think its normal...at 120 km/h i am at 3500 rpm.

A cold air and exhaust will not do anything to your rpm. As for the horsepower you will get, maybe between 5 and 10 to the wheels but not more. If you want a little more power, just go with that, but our car just doesnt respond well to mods. Turbo is the way to go if you want a fast car.

That actually is a little high - I am at about 2900 RPM at 65mph, and just over 3100 RPM at 70mph.

Even though your car only has 23k miles on it, after 7 years, things like spark plugs, air filter, etc. may have to be replaced. Try doing basic tune up items to your car and see if that improves things.

none of the things listed in this thread will make your rpms lower. i run about 3300 at 70 so its normal. only way to lower them would be to get a taller sized tire

Probably not - our automatics run a little high RPM-wise at high speeds because of the 4-speed tranny.

You could get a compression check done to assess the condition of the engine, but I think it should be fine.

none of the things listed in this thread will make your rpms lower. i run about 3300 at 70 so its normal. only way to lower them would be to get a taller sized tire

3300 RPM at 70 is normal, but IMHO, 3500 RPM at 65 is a tad bit high.

I talked to boostdprotegelx, and he mentioned overdrive, something I have not been using.

I can't wait to see how much this helps!!

I hate that our cars run high rpms on the highway. it's always been an issue with me. But i'm going to check in to that 5th gear swap. Thx for the info.

Anyone here that has an auto P5

Could you post your RPM when cruising around 70-75 using overdrive??

I wonder how big a difference it makes

I have an automatic and the 70 mph rpm is around 3100, I have stock size tires.

Clifton

I have an automatic and the 70 mph rpm is around 3100, I have stock size tires.

Clifton

Remember that tire size will not affect RPM at indicated MPH. And also the automatic uses a taller (lower numerically) final drive ratio, 3.90:1 vrs 4.10:1, so automatics will turn a lower RPM than manuals.

Back