Spark plug replacement

bman2033

:
2007 Mazdaspeed 3
Hi all,

I know how to replace spark plugs because I have replaced them on other cars. I have never done this job on the Mazdaspeed 3. So I am asking, do you just take off the stock top mount intercooler, and then there are the spark plugs on top? And then after that take the coil packs off and then boom uninstall the old and in with the new? Is there anything i should know before installing these, I was going to get the Denso ITV 22's since they are the spark plug choice among others on the forums. Let me know anything please, and thanks in advance.

+1 and where does everyone get their Denso plugs? A google search just leads to a bunch of forums. Imagine that? (uhm)

will that model fit our car or do we have to be specific on buying it for a Mazda. I looked at Denzo's website and it says 0.44 gap which is what we need right?

i went by the service manual 0.028in-0.031 in or 0.7mm-0.8mm

i think a lot of places shows the non turbo mzr gap size which is 0.050in-0.053 or 1.25mm-1.35mm

i just changed my plugs out today to 1 step colder and so far so good, i haven't really floored it yet seems smooth so far.

what brand spark plugs did you use, because now i'm reading that the iridium may foul after a few months and a turbo car should use copper plugs instead of iridium. Is this correct can anyone else say yay or nay on this. And if so what copper sparks should be used for upgrade and replacement?

I had problems with Iridiums fouling on my Prelude, I just switched back to Platinums for good.

The Denso IVT22's come pre-gapped to factory spec. Thats what I went with on my Speed3

I had problems with Iridiums fouling on my Prelude, I just switched back to Platinums for good.

The Denso IVT22's come pre-gapped to factory spec. Thats what I went with on my Speed3

were you getting knock retard? i have similar mods and am on the fence going one step colder. do you feel better running the 22s?

The MS3 seems to have a smoother acceleration now that I went with the IVT22's, but I do tend to get backfires at WOT. Maybe I should go with 2 step colder?

I just ordered the ITV22's .. Got them on eBay for 40.30 shipped .. Installing this week as soon as they come in .. As far as I know and have read from other people, the stock plugs are eroding away after a couple thousand miles ..

The stock exact replacement is the ITV20's, one step is 22's, two step is 24's but was said that unless you have a decent amount of mod's to the car you shouldn't go with 2 step colder. I dont know the correct answer though, just going on what other people have said. Im going one step colder because I'm starting to upgrade intake and exhaust and eventually TMIC.

ok, I thank you for letting me understand what plugs I should get. Still a little confused about what material we should get and it would be ideal to get copper, but we dont have that option for our car. So with that i will be getting the IVT22's as well. SO back to my original post, what do you have to do to get to the spark plugs and change them? just want to know before i get into doing the change, i want to know what the steps are to getting to them, thanks.

oh and when i buy the IVT22's they dont make them for different cars for that model. For Example IVT22's for mazdaspeed 3 and IVT22's for like a toyota and i woul dneed to be specific on what car they are for. Or is that model plug fit our car? i hope im making sense lol

Just check the appropriate gapping on the plugs when you get them .. I dont remember what was said in a previous post about the proper gap, but Im almost positive it's located in the owners manual.

As for install, it should just be to unbolt the TMIC, and you should be able to access the plugs as normally with any motor. Just remember which order the plug wires go in! And from previous plug changes, you should make sure you have a spark plug socket to remover the plugs, not just a deepwell and 6 inch extension for your ratchet. Ill probably do a write-up of the install when I get mine for everyone!

Buy them from SU. I did, and you will be sure to get the right ones. I have zero Knock Retard using IVT22's and 93 octane.

Back