How-To replace the Micron air cabin filter

NO NO NO NO NO - this is very hard to replace. Getting to that uppermost screw is nearly impossible. Read the rest of the people who wrote and how much trouble they've had.

Very hard is a bit extreme but if you are handy with tools, there's no reason one can't DIY (unless you have back problems). Some info that may help.

-The OEM filter has a foam seal on the outer edge. The two filter are stacked on top of each other and the foam will help create a tighter seal. The cheap filters do NOT have this outter seal and uses a cheaper filter media. Regrettably, I am using the cheap filter right now thinking I can save a few bucks but it is NOT worth it -IMHO. Don't be cheap and buy a Mazda filter from one of the online vendors.
-There's a tool for every job. A stubby screw driver will help but it can still be a bit difficult to turn the tight screw as you have no leverage or space to work with. You can try using a socket wrench and a socket (6mm?) that fits a short Phillips bit. Hold the socket steady with one hand and turn with the other, this shoukd give you more leverage. I have not tried it for this but have used this method in other tight spaces.

Last edited:
LOL!! Look at my photos above! I guess Photobucket has gone haywire because I did not post pics of one of my watches and lead buildup on the end of a handgun. Whatever.

On topic, I thought that screw that Oren is having a heart attack over was not at all difficult to deal with. Use a quality screw driver with a magnetized head. Done in 10 seconds.

Bought the filter and a small stanley screwdriver ($5).

Looked at photos for 1 min, no ramps.

Took about 20 mins from start to finish. Probably the hardest part was getting the "top" filter seated so the "bottom" filter could slide in.

Spent $23 on filter and $5 on screwdriver. Dealership wanted $100. Thanks to original poster of photos.

I found sliding in with back on floor was easiest position.

Bought the filter and a small stanley screwdriver ($5).

Looked at photos for 1 min, no ramps.

Took about 20 mins from start to finish. Probably the hardest part was getting the "top" filter seated so the "bottom" filter could slide in.

Spent $23 on filter and $5 on screwdriver. Dealership wanted $100. Thanks to original poster of photos.

I found sliding in with back on floor was easiest position.

Once you figure out how to do it with the right tools, it will only take 5-10 minutes next time.

One note about that panel that was suggested to be tossed out: it's a kick panel to keep you from cutting your feet/shoes on stuff inside the dash. Keep it.

BTW, 20 minutes to change the filters, stubby screwdriver and some flexibility helps.

Last edited:
NO NO NO NO NO - this is very hard to replace. Getting to that uppermost screw is nearly impossible. Read the rest of the people who wrote and how much trouble they've had.

You reckoned you could not say "NO" too many times, you had to repeat the post. Next time if you don't have ideas for solving problems, please don't post. Folks come here to save money, because they enjoy working on their cars. And this forum was created partly to help and support them. Not to discourage them. I did this today and like most folks have said here, it took about 20 minutes.

If you can lie on your back, you can get to all the screws you need using a short Philips screw driver. So, Oren, let me say this in your language:

REPLACING THE CABIN AIR FILTER IN A MAZDA 5 IS VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY EAST. GETTING TO THE UPPERMOST PART IS AS EASY AS LYING ON YOUR BACK. READ THE PEOPLE WHO'VE DONE IT, LEARN FROM THEIR EXPERIENCE AND MAKE YOURS EVEN BETTER.

That last screw is a real pain. I recently bought an angled bit tool called a skewdriver for tight spaces.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_180SPK...red.html?showAll=N&search=skewdriver&skipvs=T

I had already replaced my air filters the hard way by that point, but I imagine it would have come in handy. Its a nice addition to my collection of trick tools when I get into a jam like that. A stubby screwdriver might work just as well too.

Thanks for that link. You're right, one of those are needed for the tool box.

I'm having second thoughts about how mine's in there; can someone please say how the filters are supposed to be in there, on top of the other, or side by side. And which goes in first, please.

Cheers

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
This works pretty darn good too and costs a small fraction. Skil tools suck so don't try to torque it too tight, like I did, and break the internal ratcheting mechanism.

Pay attention to how they come out and put them back in the same way. smaller one stacks ontop of the other and the pull tab face outward.

I previously used as cheap as you can find filter but now using as expensive as you can find filter. ATP makes replacements that is charcoal lined to help eliminate odor. Air filtration is pretty important in this family.

Just did mine at 53K. Used the Wix filter since I had a gift card for O'Reilly

Used this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyK_-uLvtCM

You don't need a stubby screwdriver for the hard to reach screw. Just slide a regular one above the metal and it should work

Guessing by the pictures the previous owner never did this

First 3 are the bottom. Last one was the top
IMG_20140101_130300.jpg
IMG_20140101_130114.jpg
IMG_20140101_130151.jpg
IMG_20140101_130059.jpg

Last edited:
I know this thread is old, but I'd like to add my 2 cents. I have a 2014 Mazda 5 and the directions given here apply to the second generation as well, though the part number is supposedly different. I found that putting the car on ramps was what I needed to do because I am 66, not very flexible and somewhat overweight. I couldn't fit between the passenger seat and the door pillar on my back, so I had to find another way. A stubby phillips is helpful in removing the top two screws. I found that if I held the top filter to the left, (rearward), I could slide the bottom filter in easier. My microvan has 44K miles in three years and the filters were quite dirty. By the way, I love my 6 speed manual trans., got one of the last ones!

Mark

Back