How-To replace the Micron air cabin filter

DKaz

:
2007 Mazda 5 GT 5MT
Does anyone know how to change it? My 5's constantly getting dusty and it's bugging me. I changed my Corolla's cabin filter every 16,000km which is accessible from the glove box and never had problem with dust, I'm suspecting that the previous owner of my 5 never changed it. I couldn't find anything in the owners manual. Thanks.

Apparently the part # is CC29-61-J6X so now I just have to purchase one first.

Replace cabin air filters in 2008 Mazda5

Here are some pictures of how to replace the cabin air filter in a 2008 MAZDA5. It is very easy to change the filters and should take about 20 minutes including gathering the tools (a short phillips screwdriver). The pictures do not show removal of the black under glovebox panel. This is easy to remove - permanently. It is a decorative piece no one can see unless your working under the dash / below the glovebox. It just snaps on / off. Pitch it or use it to mount your 12v inverter to power your laptop. Cheers!

Attachments

• A1.jpg
    A1.jpg
    502.8 KB · Views: 14,669
  • A2.jpg
    A2.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 14,227
  • A3.JPG
    A3.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 8,790
  • A4.jpg
    A4.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 8,223
  • A5.JPG
    A5.JPG
    451.2 KB · Views: 11,011
Here are some pictures of how to replace the cabin air filter in a 2008 MAZDA5. It is very easy to change the filters and should take about 20 minutes including gathering the tools (a short phillips screwdriver). The pictures do not show removal of the black under glovebox panel. This is easy to remove - permanently. It is a decorative piece no one can see unless your working under the dash / below the glovebox. It just snaps on / off. Pitch it or use it to mount your 12v inverter to power your laptop. Cheers!

Thanks delsherif...just changed mine on our '08 Sport...somewhat of a pain in the arse, but got it done. Purchased the filters at http://www.freshcabinair.com/

Does anyone know if the 08 and later models use a different cabin filter. When I called the stealer, they asked me if I had "rear ventilation." I told him that I did(all 08's and later have rear fans). I called another dealer and they asked me the same question. When I called Napa, Kragen, went online to the freshcabinair.com, no one said/indicated there was a difference/asked me about rear ventilation. Anyway, I don't want to take out the old one until I know I've got the right part. I know the filter comes as two pieces.

Thanks.

does anyone know if the 08 and later models use a different cabin filter. When i called the stealer, they asked me if i had "rear ventilation." i told him that i did(all 08's and later have rear fans). I called another dealer and they asked me the same question. When i called napa, kragen, went online to the freshcabinair.com, no one said/indicated there was a difference/asked me about rear ventilation. Anyway, i don't want to take out the old one until i know i've got the right part. I know the filter comes as two pieces.

Thanks.

x2

Oy....just finished replacing my cabin filters. I should've just paid mazda $100 to change it for me. Did anybody else have trouble removing the 6th screw? I ended up breaking that last screw off. Putting the filters in wasn't as bad as I thought but i think i just got lucky. I ended up leaving one of the screws off (too much of a pain to screw it back in).

Oy....just finished replacing my cabin filters. I should've just paid mazda $100 to change it for me. Did anybody else have trouble removing the 6th screw? I ended up breaking that last screw off. Putting the filters in wasn't as bad as I thought but i think i just got lucky. I ended up leaving one of the screws off (too much of a pain to screw it back in).

The top screw closest to the firewall was the most difficult to remove. I had to use a stubby screwdriver instead of a regular one. The next hardest was putting the filters back because one is stack on top the other and there was not must space to work. It is a DIY project that should not take more than an hour.

With the new car market being what it is right now, I would imagine there are some of incentives on new Mazda5s which would lower the price delta between new and off rental. Based on a quick search on hertzcarsales.com seems like the savings are about $5,000, which is significant but you are already what, 75% through the warranty? Not sure that, given the interest rates in new sales, that it is worth it. For me, I dont think it is.

Nice!! Was just thinking of this the other day!

me too, I am having a problem changing my filters. Just recently I ordered an acc cabin filter from an online store. I'll be waiting for it because they said that delivery will about at most two weeks! I hope they have manuals there on how to install it. I will be updating everyone soon.

Dude, you must be a spammer. WTF is up with linking s*** in all your posts to racepages?

It's a DIY project, just be prepared to be cursing the designers. Ours is an 08 with rear air and trying to get both filters in is a challenge. I've had other cars with cabin filters and none were as oddly packaged as the 5! It can be done, but be prepared for it to take an hour.

FYI - I changed my cabin filters when I did my last oil change @ 19k. The car was on ramps, so there was not nearly as much contorting to do to get to the screws. I was dreading this based on everyone's expression of discomfort involved. But, I can tell you that the front end being on ramps made it very simple. A stubby philips head screwdriver is a must for the top screw.

Pay attention to how the old ones come out. Basically put the top one in first (foam gasket side up, finger tab facing you), slide it up to the top of the housing and hold it in place with your right hand, then slide the lower one in with your left hand, making sure the grooves of the two filters slide into each other.

Seariously, it took no longer than 5 minutes for my first time doing it.

FYI - I changed my cabin filters when I did my last oil change @ 19k. The car was on ramps, so there was not nearly as much contorting to do to get to the screws. I was dreading this based on everyone's expression of discomfort involved. But, I can tell you that the front end being on ramps made it very simple. A stubby philips head screwdriver is a must for the top screw.

Pay attention to how the old ones come out. Basically put the top one in first (foam gasket side up, finger tab facing you), slide it up to the top of the housing and hold it in place with your right hand, then slide the lower one in with your left hand, making sure the grooves of the two filters slide into each other.

Seariously, it took no longer than 5 minutes for my first time doing it.

Ah, ramps! That's what I'll do the next time.

Thanks Delsherif! Pictures were very helpful. Got a little confused b/c I only had to remove 4 screws rather than 6. Took about 20 minutes. As stated repeatedly, the screw closest to the firewall is a bi$%h! Maybe it was totally mental but it seemed like it was easier to remove if it wasn't the last one out. I couldn't get it to budge until I reinserted the bottom screw closest to the firewall. In my mind that took some pressure off the top one. Who knows? You are going to need a Phillips head screwdriver that is shorter than approx. 4" for the top one closest to the firewall. Other 3 can (and should) be accessed with a drill and bit. I like the plastic adornment (hey it's the wife's car!) so I replaced the plastic cover...although it seemed a bit floppy and I hate rattles more than I like adornment, so it may be gone soon. Didn't seem to follow the answers above so I will ask again...is the twin filter design part of the rear air set-up? I have an '08 Grand Touring (although I think the rear vents were standard). I assume that there is not a separate rear air filter as well.

All things being equal, still not sure why they could not make these more accessible, other than sinister profit motives aimed at supporting the dealer body.

Last edited:
Here are my cabin filters after 31,500 miles. Pretty nasty really. By the way, these are a far cry from micron filters. They're more like dryer sheets. LOL!

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

Last edited:
Beard,
The 2-filter design is on my '06 with manual climate control (and we don't have rear-air in '06) so I'm thinking that this is just the design for all filters, and not specific to the rear air... I haven't heard anything about an additional filter for rear air out here, though, so I think these 2 filters cover all of it...(?)

holy crap this looks way easier than on other mazda's...on my 3 I have to pull the glove box...all of the wiring has to be disconnected from the fuse panel...and even then there are still one or two bolts that are blind....and a huge pita to get out and back in

Beard,
The 2-filter design is on my '06 with manual climate control (and we don't have rear-air in '06) so I'm thinking that this is just the design for all filters, and not specific to the rear air... I haven't heard anything about an additional filter for rear air out here, though, so I think these 2 filters cover all of it...(?)

found these part numbers which may help

CC2961J6X FILTER,COOLING UNIT W/O R. VENTILATOR (Required: 001)
CE4961J6X FILTER,COOLING UNIT W/R. VENTILATOR (Required: 001)

I am not sure what the difference is between the elements but there does appear to be two different filters you could get depending on if you have the rear vents or not.

Incorrect. It is very difficult to change this filter.

NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! This is not easy to change. Delsherif posted early so this comes up first. Read the rest of the posts in this thread and decide if you are up to this. Getting to that uppermost screw is nearly impossible. This video gives you a quick view of how a professional would do it. Once you take of the first panel you will see just how hard it is to do this. If you have tiny and strong fingers maybe you can do this, but the rest of us are going to have to suffer with the Mazda we got stuck with. I wish I would have bought the Toyota.

Back