CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Camber is Eating Tires

5'08

'08 Mazda5

Quote Originally Posted by 07MZ5SA View Post
    Wow. That' pretty brave driving with inner structure exposed.
    Honestly, my wife drives the 5 more than I do. I knew they were worn down, but did not really notice it until I pulled up behind it earlier this week and saw how bad they really were. I was on pins and needles for the last 2 days.

5'08

'08 Mazda5

Just got off the phone with MazdaUSA and they are going to reimburse me for the Alignment and send me $75 gift card to be used at Mazda...I can use it towards parts or labor for something.

The rep said that had I bought the tires from the dealer, she could have helped out with the cost as well. I am sure that buying a new set of Toyo's from the dealer...even with MazdaUSA covering part of the cost...would still have been way more than what I paid for 4 Kuhmo ASX's...wishful thinking at least.

So, if your rear tires are getting eaten up, have the rear toe checked. If mine was setup incorrectly from the factory, then there has to be others!!!

Registered Member

2006 Mazda5 Touring

That the same type wear I was experiencing but I replaced mine before they wore that far.
    Strange...my toe was never that far off as yours but I still had the same wear pattern. In my case it wasn't toe I had really bad excessing camber.

Since installing the SPC arms my tire finally wear "normal", I suspect I can go 7-10K miles before needing another alignment.

Registered Member

Ok, WhitewaterPearl and brarsandeep, how are your tires wearing now after a few months? Whitewater put on the SPC arms for the camber and brars only changed the toe. I have a stock 08 with the original Toyos at about 24k miles, rotated every 7k. Never had the alignment checked. Noticing definite wear on the insides of rear tires. Terrible road noise and ready to get new tires pretty soon. So what's the best permanent fix? Get the SPCs and new alignment with new tires? Or just new alignment to hopefully fix toe issue that has (maybe?) caused wear on this set?

Many people have said the Mazda alignment specs are wrong for good tire wear. What alignment specs do people recommend for the rear then?
    Last edited by schokie; 08-19-2009 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Added new text

Registered Member

2006 Mazda5 Touring

Mine is a MY06. The tire wear is still even across the threads, no sign of needing another alignment check for a long time.
    What seems to be working for me is whatever toe setting the Mazda dealer last dialed in along with the SPC arms which I installed myself. As far as I'm concerned my 5 is fixed.

5'08

'08 Mazda5

My wife dirves the 5 most of the time...she has probably only put on 500 miles on it since the toe was corrected. I still think the camber is going to cause wear on the inside of the tires, but probably will not be able to tell until we get a couple thousand miles on the new set of tires. I think the SPC adjustable arms are the way to go, unless you plan on racing your 5. I would probably do this is the 5 if it was our primary family hauler, but our Odyssey handles that chore.

Registered Member

Thanks for the quick follow-ups. I was leaning towards getting the SPCs and fixing the issue once and for all. At about $165 for a pair of the SPCs and a few hours of labor, it will be worth it in the long run to have the tires last and not keep replacing them every 20-30k.

So it seems like the SPCs plus an alignment with slightly negative toe and camber should do the trick.

Registered Member

2008 Mazda5 Sport

This is an issue. I;ve seen a fleet with many Mazda 5 in it and EVERY one has tire wear issues related to rear camber.

2007 Mazda5

I'm going to dig up an old thread because there's lots of great info in this one related to my question.

I picked up a used '07. Brand new tires on it. I never noticed it in the test drive but I rode in the back esterday and I could feel a vibration in the back. Taking a walk around the car paying a little more attention to it, I can visibly eyeball large amount of toe in on the rear. The passenger side more so then the driver side, which gives me some circumstantial evidence of why I may be feeling vibration I think is coming from the rear passenger side.

I see some of you mention zeroing the toe. I know usually a tiny bit of toe in is good to keep the bearings loaded properly. What number are you guys shooting for with respect to toe in? I'd rather go into the shop and tell them "Give me xxx toe in on the rear" instead of taking in there and having them tell me "Your toe in is within specs"

mazda5

It might be the tires off rounded from sitting in the lot. I have an 07, No issue whatsoever with uneven tire wear. Early tire wear yes because of the crappy Toyo's only 2.5 yrs. this is while I'm using winter tires almost 5 months in a year.
    Jess

2008 Mazda5

Quote Originally Posted by DeoreDX View Post
    I'm going to dig up an old thread because there's lots of great info in this one related to my question.

I picked up a used '07. Brand new tires on it. I never noticed it in the test drive but I rode in the back esterday and I could feel a vibration in the back. Taking a walk around the car paying a little more attention to it, I can visibly eyeball large amount of toe in on the rear. The passenger side more so then the driver side, which gives me some circumstantial evidence of why I may be feeling vibration I think is coming from the rear passenger side.

I see some of you mention zeroing the toe. I know usually a tiny bit of toe in is good to keep the bearings loaded properly. What number are you guys shooting for with respect to toe in? I'd rather go into the shop and tell them "Give me xxx toe in on the rear" instead of taking in there and having them tell me "Your toe in is within specs"
    I agree the vibration can be from the tires sitting. After a few hundred miles of regular driving that should go away (based on my experience)

As for toe, the inside wear on the tires would be casue by toe out or negative toe. This kind of setting will scrub your tires pretty good and fast.

I don;t recall the rear specs, but I would guess you'd want between 15' and 30' (quarter to a half degree).
    2008 Mazda 5 Touring Ed. - Brillant Black
    1991 Porsche 928 GT - Guards Red - Supercharged

2006 Mazda5 Auto Sport w/the works

I was wonderin if you remember who you talked to at Mazda USA about the factory allignment (especially rear) being off and getting some compensation...I am dealing with the same on my wife's daily driver (2006) which is in the process of eating its second set of tires... Ours is out of warranty, but if not changed since new maybe they would accept some responsibility. A name would be a big help.
    Thanks! Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by brarsandeep View Post
    Just got off the phone with MazdaUSA and they are going to reimburse me for the Alignment and send me $75 gift card to be used at Mazda...I can use it towards parts or labor for something.

The rep said that had I bought the tires from the dealer, she could have helped out with the cost as well. I am sure that buying a new set of Toyo's from the dealer...even with MazdaUSA covering part of the cost...would still have been way more than what I paid for 4 Kuhmo ASX's...wishful thinking at least.

So, if your rear tires are getting eaten up, have the rear toe checked. If mine was setup incorrectly from the factory, then there has to be others!!!

Registered Member

2006 Mazda5

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterPearl View Post
    Yes, that is correct. Unadjustable "excessive camber" is the problem we have. I believe the max factory camber is -2.3. Print out of my three alignments were -2.4, -2.1, -2.4, and the dealer did not tell me what is was on my fourth alignment.

I installed the SPC adjustable arms last night. It took 3+ hours, the exhaust hanger is in the way and I had to use an open end wrench to remove and re-install the inner bolt. One thing we noticed immediately on our 5 mile test was that the rear end didn't seem as jittery going over unever patchy roads. Before if felt like the back end was jumping side-to-side and now it feels more stable. We didn't test corning speed since that not a needed criteria for my wife but I expect I will have slow it down a bit due to running less rear camber. I'm going to give it a few days to settle before an alignment this weekend.

I also used an 18" level float to compare the front and rear camber and I am actually running less rear camber that the front now. Not ideal, but it should drop some more while the bushings stretch and settle.
    How did you end up getting the bolt passed the exhaust hanger?

Registered Member

2006 Mazda5 Touring

I used an open end wrench using small 1/4 turns till it finally backed out.

Update: Its been over two years since installing the SPC arms and the rear tires are still wearing evenly.

****My latest problem: since the "freezing sliding door recall" was performed the rear passenger sliding door will not open with the remote or from the driver's control switch. We are only able to open the door by first manually unlocking it from the inside. I've been to the dealer twice who says they can't repliate the problem but was authorized by Mazda to redo the recall which still did not fix the problem. Mazda says they don't know of any issues with the '06 sliding door locks and if the problem presists to take it back to the dealer. After reading a few posts from others with the same problem it seem to be the actuators are faulty but I'm just tired of dealing with Mazda and the dealer regarding documented problems that they are "unaware of".

Registered Member

2006 Mazda5

I can't get mine past the exhaust hanger to save my life.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast