Rear Wheel Camber is Eating Tires

:
2006 Mazda5 Touring
I need some help with my rear suspension. My wife's 2006 MZ5 has worn thru two sets of tires in 18k miles. Tire rotations were done every 3-4k miles and has had four alignments. The first 3 alignments done by a Goodyear shop adjusted the front passenger side toe twice probably due to her curbing the tire and the rear cross toe was out of spec each time.

I emailed Mazda recently who responded they were not aware of a rear tire issue and I should have my local dealer look at the car. My local dealer said they have seen a few Mazdas that wore the inner edge of rear tires but there is no fix available thru Mazda. I asked if I could have 2009 rear suspension parts installed since their rear wheels are visible more vertical than mine. He said he couldn't because it is not authorized by Mazda. However, they did a free complimentary alignment (again having to adjust the rear cross toe), but said the rear camber was "within 2006 factory specs" and the only thing I can do is to keep rotating the tires every 3k miles. He took some up close pics of bald inner edges of rear tires and of the car from a distance to show how much the tires lean inward. I don't know the details but apparently Mazda told the dealer that if everything was within 2006 specs that they were done... Thanks Mazda!

So I have decided to fix my excessive rear camber issue myself. Which of these options do you all think is best before buying another set of tires?
-Install whatever 2009 factory parts that are different, (maybe too expesive if many pieces are required).
-Install the red Mazdaspeed camber arms.
-Install the adjustable SPC camber arms.

Last edited:
I need some help with my rear suspension. My wife's 2006 MZ5 has worn thru two sets of tires in 18k miles. Tire rotations were done every 3-4k miles and has had four alignments. The first 3 alignments done by a Goodyear shop adjusted the front passenger side toe twice probably due to her curbing the tire and the rear cross toe was out of spec each time.

I emailed Mazda recently who responded they were not aware of a rear tire issue and I should have my local dealer look at the car. My local dealer said they have seen a few Mazdas that wore the inner edge of rear tires but there is no fix available thru Mazda. I asked if I could have 2009 rear suspension parts installed since their rear wheels are visible more vertical than mine. He said he couldn't because it is not authorized by Mazda. However, they did a free complimentary alignment (again having to adjust the rear cross toe), but said the rear camber was "within 2006 factory specs" and the only thing I can do is to keep rotating the tires every 3k miles. He took some up close pics of bald inner edges of rear tires and of the car from a distance to show how much the tires lean inward. I don't know the details but apparently Mazda told the dealer that if everything was within 2006 specs that they were done... Thanks Mazda!

So I have decided to fix my excessive rear camber issue myself. Which of these options do you all think is best before buying another set of tires?
-Install whatever 2009 factory parts that are different, (maybe will too expesive).
-Install the red Mazdaspeed camber arms.
-Install the adjustable SPC camber arms.

I have the MazdaSpeed camber adjustment plates on my 2006 and haven't had any problems...mine is also lowered. I do have a friend who has to same problem you reported. he got fed up and traded his '5' because (like you) the dealer was totally helpless.

Yeah my stockies got eaten up fast, especially on the inside, I have an 07, but just recently replaced the wheels, I also lowered mine and installed the SPC adjustable camber arms...now my camber has been adjusted so my wheels look fairly upright. Not sure the measurements...but the camber looks better than stock...

Hey, I just read thru the entire The Tire Wear Problem Thread and saw that Mazda fixed a 2006 Touring (just like mine) with control arms from a MS3. The more I read the more I realize how simple the fix is.
I'm not looking for perfectly vertical wheels, it's just that rotating tires every 3k miles on "van with racing camber" was not what my owner manual says I purchased.

Were they stock MS3 arms? Or the red aftermarket ones? Honestly, those should be enough, my friend who did my alignment and adjusted my camber for me said the SPCs were poorly designed because the adjustments were in a bad location making it difficult to adjust.

...I emailed Mazda recently who responded they were not aware of a rear tire issue and I should have my local dealer look at the car....
That's complete bulls**t, Mazda is very well aware of the problem - tires wearing too quickly on the '06/'07 models is, I would say, the biggest problem they've had with Mazda5's. And if camber wasn't a problem, why else would they have fixed the problems for '08/'09?

But I'm not sure what the solution is. And yes, the camber is noticably different in the '06/'07 vs '08/'09 models.

I can tell you that our stock M5 had a slight rear camber problem when purchased brand new in Feb. 09.

But then we lowered it with stock MazdaSpeed3 springs (see my other thread), and the camber was totally messed up. Wheels looked like //.\\ from the rear(sad2).

So we installed the SPC rear camber arms (adjustable). Yes, they are PITA to adjust... but you only need to adjust them once!... ever!

The red MazdaSpeed3 rear camber arms are not adjustable (more $$ than SPC) and might not be enough depending on your ride height.

Last edited:
That's true, you do only need to adjust the SPCs once...unless somehow they go out again, or you mess with your suspension...at least it's the alignment guy who need s to do it and not you....they should have the tools to adjust the camber anyways....haha....but since my friend was doing me a favor, he told me how much of a pain in the ass it was...haha(flame2)

Has anybody installed SPC rear camber arms on a stock (not lowered) Mazda5?

I have a 2008 model, and would like to fix the still-excessive camber before replacing the first set of tires.

As with all other problems, the dealer is useless.

Hey, I just read thru the entire The Tire Wear Problem Thread and saw that Mazda fixed a 2006 Touring (just like mine) with control arms from a MS3. The more I read the more I realize how simple the fix is.
I'm not looking for perfectly vertical wheels, it's just that rotating tires every 3k miles on "van with racing camber" was not what my owner manual says I purchased.

Was your 5 lowered?

Was your 5 lowered?

No, still stock. My wife even complained about the ride firmness for a few months when I first installed a set of 19's on her van.
After she wore out the first set of tires I installed a set 19" Work XSA 02C wheels with a tire diameter smaller than stock; about the same diameter and width as a set of 215/50/17 tires.

Check this (apples to orange) comparison: I bought my daughter a brand new 2004 Honda Civic five years ago. It now has 105K miles and has NEVER had an alignment and it still tracks perfectly straight with even tire wear. The original tires were replaced at 65K miles and neither these or the original tire were ever re-balanced, all I have done is rotated the tires every 7-10 miles when she to visits.
I've already spent more on tires, rotations, and alignments than she will the entire life of this Civic.

Last edited:
Has anybody installed SPC rear camber arms on a stock (not lowered) Mazda5?
-I will be installing them on my stock MZ5 later this week.

Sorry to but in but is this issue more with the 17" or the 16" rubber..or both?
-I suspect those that have excessive camber from the factory will still have it with 10" or 26" tires.

-I will be installing them on my stock MZ5 later this week.

I'll be interested in your results, and what camber numbers you opt for.

At ~7k miles, on my 2008, I rotated the tires. The rear tires could not stand on their own with the wear difference inside to out.

I've never gotten good wear from four-wheel fully-independent suspension vehicles. Of course the Mazda 5 is as bad as I've experienced it. Just because it's set to factory tolerances doesn't make it right.

On the plus side, I've never had a station wagon that cornered like the Mazda 5 can either.

Generally speaking, camber does not induce premature wear on any particular portion of the tire unless it's extreme. From my experience, toe is the most critical factor on tire wear.

If you have excessive toe out, you will tend to wear the inside edges prematurely. Excessive toe in, will wear the outside edges.

Does anyone know what the factory alignment specs are? I have a DIY alignment setup that I use on my 928, but I could easily adapt it to work with the Mazda 5.

I have a lowered 5 using the ms3 springs.. ive known for a while that i would eat up my tires pretty quick.. has changing the camber on the rear changed how it corners? The SPC kit, how long does it take to install? any estimates?

Generally speaking, camber does not induce premature wear on any particular portion of the tire unless it's extreme. From my experience, toe is the most critical factor on tire wear.

If you have excessive toe out, you will tend to wear the inside edges prematurely. Excessive toe in, will wear the outside edges.

Yes, that is correct. Unadjustable "excessive camber" is the problem we have. I believe the max factory camber is -2.3. Print out of my three alignments were -2.4, -2.1, -2.4, and the dealer did not tell me what is was on my fourth alignment.

I installed the SPC adjustable arms last night. It took 3+ hours, the exhaust hanger is in the way and I had to use an open end wrench to remove and re-install the inner bolt. One thing we noticed immediately on our 5 mile test was that the rear end didn't seem as jittery going over unever patchy roads. Before if felt like the back end was jumping side-to-side and now it feels more stable. We didn't test corning speed since that not a needed criteria for my wife but I expect I will have slow it down a bit due to running less rear camber. I'm going to give it a few days to settle before an alignment this weekend.

I also used an 18" level float to compare the front and rear camber and I am actually running less rear camber that the front now. Not ideal, but it should drop some more while the bushings stretch and settle.

I just spoke to Mazda Canada representative Jason about the camber problem. He said that they will investigate that and let me know the result within the next couple of days.
I will keep you guys updated.

Dima

Last edited:
Can't wait to hear what they have to say. I just opened a case with Mazda USA. I have 13.5k miles on our 08 and the inside of the rear tires are almost bald.

I will be taking our 5 in to get the tires changed by the dealer and have them check the Camber/Toe issue.

I have found in the past with other manufacturers that if I created a case prior to having a dealer looking at it an issue, the dealer usually is more open to working with you. Of course I let the service adviser know that case has been opened and provide him with the case number.

Back