VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear Wheel Camber is Eating Tires

Registered Member

2006 Mazda5 Touring

Rear Wheel Camber is Eating Tires

I need some help with my rear suspension. My wife's 2006 MZ5 has worn thru two sets of tires in 18k miles. Tire rotations were done every 3-4k miles and has had four alignments. The first 3 alignments done by a Goodyear shop adjusted the front passenger side toe twice probably due to her curbing the tire and the rear cross toe was out of spec each time.

I emailed Mazda recently who responded they were not aware of a rear tire issue and I should have my local dealer look at the car. My local dealer said they have seen a few Mazdas that wore the inner edge of rear tires but there is no fix available thru Mazda. I asked if I could have 2009 rear suspension parts installed since their rear wheels are visible more vertical than mine. He said he couldn't because it is not authorized by Mazda. However, they did a free complimentary alignment (again having to adjust the rear cross toe), but said the rear camber was "within 2006 factory specs" and the only thing I can do is to keep rotating the tires every 3k miles. He took some up close pics of bald inner edges of rear tires and of the car from a distance to show how much the tires lean inward. I don't know the details but apparently Mazda told the dealer that if everything was within 2006 specs that they were done... Thanks Mazda!

So I have decided to fix my excessive rear camber issue myself. Which of these options do you all think is best before buying another set of tires?
    -Install whatever 2009 factory parts that are different, (maybe too expesive if many pieces are required).
    -Install the red Mazdaspeed camber arms.
    -Install the adjustable SPC camber arms.
    Last edited by WhitewaterPearl; 04-26-2009 at 12:59 AM. Reason: incomplete sentence

2006 Mazda5 - GT

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterPearl View Post
    I need some help with my rear suspension. My wife's 2006 MZ5 has worn thru two sets of tires in 18k miles. Tire rotations were done every 3-4k miles and has had four alignments. The first 3 alignments done by a Goodyear shop adjusted the front passenger side toe twice probably due to her curbing the tire and the rear cross toe was out of spec each time.

I emailed Mazda recently who responded they were not aware of a rear tire issue and I should have my local dealer look at the car. My local dealer said they have seen a few Mazdas that wore the inner edge of rear tires but there is no fix available thru Mazda. I asked if I could have 2009 rear suspension parts installed since their rear wheels are visible more vertical than mine. He said he couldn't because it is not authorized by Mazda. However, they did a free complimentary alignment (again having to adjust the rear cross toe), but said the rear camber was "within 2006 factory specs" and the only thing I can do is to keep rotating the tires every 3k miles. He took some up close pics of bald inner edges of rear tires and of the car from a distance to show how much the tires lean inward. I don't know the details but apparently Mazda told the dealer that if everything was within 2006 specs that they were done... Thanks Mazda!

So I have decided to fix my excessive rear camber issue myself. Which of these options do you all think is best before buying another set of tires?
    -Install whatever 2009 factory parts that are different, (maybe will too expesive).
    -Install the red Mazdaspeed camber arms.
    -Install the adjustable SPC camber arms.
    I have the MazdaSpeed camber adjustment plates on my 2006 and haven't had any problems...mine is also lowered. I do have a friend who has to same problem you reported. he got fed up and traded his '5' because (like you) the dealer was totally helpless.

2000 Protege LX Touring - H&Rs, 16" MIata wheels
    1997 Protege SE - H&Rs, 15" MSWs

Donated: $5

Mazda5

Yeah my stockies got eaten up fast, especially on the inside, I have an 07, but just recently replaced the wheels, I also lowered mine and installed the SPC adjustable camber arms...now my camber has been adjusted so my wheels look fairly upright. Not sure the measurements...but the camber looks better than stock...

Registered Member

2006 Mazda5 Touring

Hey, I just read thru the entire The Tire Wear Problem Thread and saw that Mazda fixed a 2006 Touring (just like mine) with control arms from a MS3. The more I read the more I realize how simple the fix is.
    I'm not looking for perfectly vertical wheels, it's just that rotating tires every 3k miles on "van with racing camber" was not what my owner manual says I purchased.

Mazda5

Were they stock MS3 arms? Or the red aftermarket ones? Honestly, those should be enough, my friend who did my alignment and adjusted my camber for me said the SPCs were poorly designed because the adjustments were in a bad location making it difficult to adjust.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

...I emailed Mazda recently who responded they were not aware of a rear tire issue and I should have my local dealer look at the car....
    That's complete bulls**t, Mazda is very well aware of the problem - tires wearing too quickly on the '06/'07 models is, I would say, the biggest problem they've had with Mazda5's. And if camber wasn't a problem, why else would they have fixed the problems for '08/'09?

But I'm not sure what the solution is. And yes, the camber is noticably different in the '06/'07 vs '08/'09 models.

Mazda5 GT

I can tell you that our stock M5 had a slight rear camber problem when purchased brand new in Feb. 09.

But then we lowered it with stock MazdaSpeed3 springs (see my other thread), and the camber was totally messed up. Wheels looked like //.\\ from the rear.

So we installed the SPC rear camber arms (adjustable). Yes, they are PITA to adjust... but you only need to adjust them once!... ever!

The red MazdaSpeed3 rear camber arms are not adjustable (more $$ than SPC) and might not be enough depending on your ride height.
    Last edited by red headz; 04-26-2009 at 05:16 PM.
    '08 Mazda5 GT, Brilliant Black, fog light jumper, MS3 springs, 35% tint, 18" RX8, 16" Protege5

'00 VW Golf TDI, Satin Silver w/ some real zoom-zoom & burning biodiesel!

Mazda5

That's true, you do only need to adjust the SPCs once...unless somehow they go out again, or you mess with your suspension...at least it's the alignment guy who need s to do it and not you....they should have the tools to adjust the camber anyways....haha....but since my friend was doing me a favor, he told me how much of a pain in the ass it was...haha(flame2)
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Has anybody installed SPC rear camber arms on a stock (not lowered) Mazda5?

I have a 2008 model, and would like to fix the still-excessive camber before replacing the first set of tires.

As with all other problems, the dealer is useless.

Mazda 5 GS 5MT

Sorry to but in but is this issue more with the 17" or the 16" rubber..or both?
    Cheers
    Zoom5Zoom

2006 Mazda 5 GS 5MT ACC (SOLD)
    Cheap Mods
    - Cruise Control - Tweeters - Trailer Hitch - Tint
    - Mirror Covers body colored - Soft Liner
    - Rear Bumper Step Plate - Bug Deflector
    - Motegi MR7 16 x 7 Gunmetal
    2005 Mazda 6 GS I4 Sport Package Auto 91000 KM and going
    2001 B4000 5MT 2WD 193000 KM and going
    2000 626 LX 2.0L 5MT 182500 KM SOLD

Registered Member

2007 Mazda 5

Hey, I just read thru the entire The Tire Wear Problem Thread and saw that Mazda fixed a 2006 Touring (just like mine) with control arms from a MS3. The more I read the more I realize how simple the fix is.
    I'm not looking for perfectly vertical wheels, it's just that rotating tires every 3k miles on "van with racing camber" was not what my owner manual says I purchased.
    Was your 5 lowered?
    2007 5 Sport AT

Registered Member

2006 Mazda5 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by 07MZ5SA View Post
    Was your 5 lowered?
    No, still stock. My wife even complained about the ride firmness for a few months when I first installed a set of 19's on her van.
    After she wore out the first set of tires I installed a set 19" Work XSA 02C wheels with a tire diameter smaller than stock; about the same diameter and width as a set of 215/50/17 tires.

Check this (apples to orange) comparison: I bought my daughter a brand new 2004 Honda Civic five years ago. It now has 105K miles and has NEVER had an alignment and it still tracks perfectly straight with even tire wear. The original tires were replaced at 65K miles and neither these or the original tire were ever re-balanced, all I have done is rotated the tires every 7-10 miles when she to visits.
    I've already spent more on tires, rotations, and alignments than she will the entire life of this Civic.
    Last edited by WhitewaterPearl; 04-27-2009 at 12:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Registered Member

2006 Mazda5 Touring

Has anybody installed SPC rear camber arms on a stock (not lowered) Mazda5?
    -I will be installing them on my stock MZ5 later this week.

Sorry to but in but is this issue more with the 17" or the 16" rubber..or both?
    -I suspect those that have excessive camber from the factory will still have it with 10" or 26" tires.

Registered Member

Any issues on the 2009's?

Registered Member

-I will be installing them on my stock MZ5 later this week.
    I'll be interested in your results, and what camber numbers you opt for.

At ~7k miles, on my 2008, I rotated the tires. The rear tires could not stand on their own with the wear difference inside to out.

I've never gotten good wear from four-wheel fully-independent suspension vehicles. Of course the Mazda 5 is as bad as I've experienced it. Just because it's set to factory tolerances doesn't make it right.

On the plus side, I've never had a station wagon that cornered like the Mazda 5 can either.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast