Transfer Case - 4WD Issues

I just pulled out my transfer case, it's fine though. It's the output spline from the transmission that is shot. rusted and sheared off. I need to pull my tranny now. NICE

celicanutt, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about this. I don't have any awd experience on any car i've ever owned, but it sounds like at least in the CX-9, it is a nightmare. I don't understand why after this many years they can't put a good transfer case on it?

Looks like the problem also affects the 2012 CX-9. Just got ours in Dec. '12 it has 3K miles on it and we got the gear oil smell (garlic) in side the car. I also noticed whining, poor shifting and downshifting as well as binding. Transfer case (PTO) is being replaced under warranty. Dealer says they have replaced them before but never on a vehicle with mileage as low as ours. Dealer says it could also affect gas mileage as we were not getting that great MPG. Hope this takes care of the problem!

another cold weather failure...

I got an invitation in the mail to go test drive the 2013 CX9. They'll give me a $25 gift card. Better make it $2500 and then maybe I'll think about it.

I had read before that the TC was mainly a 2007 issue prior to a certain build date. I happened to have an early model that was affected, but luckily my TC is so far perfectly fine with 120kms (70000 miles) on it.

But really, it seems like all the TC's have potential issues.

I'm having a similar issue with my CX-5, if I take it offroad in soft sand it's only good for about 300 metres of sand and then the 4WD light starts flashing and drops to FWD. Trying to get it sorted with the dealership but seems to have gone cold on me.

I have a 2010 CX-9 AWD with 74k miles and noticed the burning oil, sulfur type smell after driving and coming to a stop (but only when the heat was on). The dealership confirmed the transfer case fluid had turned to sludge and the unit needed to be replaced. I called the Mazda customer experience center, the dealership followed up, and Mazda is covering the parts under warranty, I'm paying the labor, with no hassle even though I have done all the routine maintenance myself. I'd say that is better than most would do in the same situation beyond the warranty period, definitely worth the 5 minute call to Mazda.

I have an 08 GT and noticed I couldn't get up my driveway (slight incline) if there was snow or ice and if I stopped and started back into garage and same thing if I was stopped and a light or stop sign and the roads were slick. Just seemed like only the front wheels were spinning. The 4WD light would flash for a couple of mins and then go out. Long story short, I had it diagnosed at a Mazda dealership and they stated I needed a transfer case ($1000). Upon installing it, I received a call from them and they said the mechanic realized that the spline connecting the transmission to the transfer case was "sheared" and he couldn't promise that my AWD would work 100%. My options were to then purchase a new tranny ($3500) or used tranny ($2500) with 59k on it. I opted for the less expensive route. Disappointed and almost a week later, I'm hoping that when I get it back that it'll work fine and hopefully have no more issues with the AWD functionality. I asked the rep at the dealership what the root cause could've been and he stated that based on what the mechanic told him, the transfer case more than likely locked up and broke the transmission spline. :(

Last edited:
I have an 08 GT and noticed I couldn't get up my driveway (slight incline) if there was snow or ice and if I stopped and started back into garage and same thing if I was stopped and a light or stop sign and the roads were slick. Just seemed like only the front wheels were spinning. The 4WD light would flash for a couple of mins and then go out. Long story short, I had it diagnosed at a Mazda dealership and they stated I needed a transfer case ($1000). Upon installing it, I received a call from them and they said the mechanic realized that the spline connecting the transmission to the transfer case was "sheared" and he couldn't promise that my AWD would work 100%. My options were to then purchase a new tranny ($3500) or used tranny ($2500) with 59k on it. I opted for the less expensive route. Disappointed and almost a week later, I'm hoping that when I get it back that it'll work fine and hopefully have no more issues with the AWD functionality. I asked the rep at the dealership what the root cause could've been and he stated that based on what the mechanic told him, the transfer case more than likely locked up and broke the transmission spline. :(

I had exactly the same issue a few weeks ago.....2008 CX-9 Grand Touring. What initially seemed to be a bad transfer case grew into a new transmission since the splines were worn away. I opted for new (or reconditioned) parts, and my bill was not far off $8K (note that I am in Canada, with a likely 25% premium over the US). Good times.

We bought a 2013 Mazda, CX-9, around July 2014. It's now Jan. 2015 and the vehicle has about 29,000 miles on it. Bad transfer case, will be replaced under warranty.

We noticed a burning smell but didn't know what it was. Last week the drive train had some major issues, sounded like loud grinding gears sound going 1-2 mph in 1st gear. All gears seemed to have a problem. I drove it right away to the dealer, luckily it made it there. Just having the tech. drive it from the parking space to the garage, he heard the terrible sound. So far they have confirmed that the transfer case has gone bad and needs to be replaced. They say it will be under warranty.

Many forums say that the burning smell is caused by leaking transfer case fluid, that leaks on the exhaust and causes the smell. Possibly due to overheating of fluid that turns to sludge (for some reason?)

He said some of the vehicles they've seen that have come in with this issue have damaged transmission "splines" that mean the transmission would need to be replaced also.

Got a free loaner vehicle while I'm waiting.

If you google this you will find aerticles on edmunds.com forum and reddit.com forums mentioning this an an issue dating back several years.

You wouldn't expect a vehicle that is 14 months old with < 29k miles to have a transfer case / transmission problem!

This doesn't inspire much confidence in the Mazda brand.

Last edited:
Dead transmission on 2010 CX9

Just got the same problem on my 2010 CX-9, 120k. I bought this car in 2013 with 103k to a Mazda dealer. Maintenance (oil change and tire rotation) were done as per the book at the same place.
Transfer case spline is completely worn out (See pictures attached) and I just learned form the mechanics that the transmission arbor needs to be replaced as well, since it is damaged on the coupling female spline.

IMG_20150110_110115.jpgIMG_20150110_110124.jpgIMG_20150110_110108.jpg

Mazda is hiding behind warranty considerations for the TC, and I am awaiting their feedback now that the transmission shaft is dead as well. These should not be life limited parts, or they just should drop designing and manufacturing cars.
Clearly reading the posts this is a design flaw that Mazda is not willing to address in a serious manner.

Last edited:
The only fix is to put a transfer case in there that's actually built by Mazda or Aisian or someone other than Ford. So, so glad I went FWD. Feel bad for all of you.

We bought a 2013 Mazda, CX-9, around July 2014. It's now Jan. 2015 and the vehicle has about 29,000 miles on it. Bad transfer case, will be replaced under warranty.

We noticed a burning smell but didn't know what it was. Last week the drive train had some major issues, sounded like loud grinding gears sound going 1-2 mph in 1st gear. All gears seemed to have a problem. I drove it right away to the dealer, luckily it made it there. Just having the tech. drive it from the parking space to the garage, he heard the terrible sound. So far they have confirmed that the transfer case has gone bad and needs to be replaced. They say it will be under warranty.

Many forums say that the burning smell is caused by leaking transfer case fluid, that leaks on the exhaust and causes the smell. Possibly due to overheating of fluid that turns to sludge (for some reason?)

He said some of the vehicles they've seen that have come in with this issue have damaged transmission "splines" that mean the transmission would need to be replaced also.

Got a free loaner vehicle while I'm waiting.

If you google this you will find aerticles on edmunds.com forum and reddit.com forums mentioning this an an issue dating back several years.

You wouldn't expect a vehicle that is 14 months old with < 29k miles to have a transfer case / transmission problem!

This doesn't inspire much confidence in the Mazda brand.

I've said before this is happening during cold temperatures. There's only a pint of oil in that Transfer Case (PTO) and it just doesn't cut it. It gets cold, doesn't lub as much as it should and the TC starts burning up.

The dealer by me is doing TC service. They suck out the old fluid and fill with new. I better get in there. (freak)

I will add my experience.

I had the same problem, odor, oil was a lot and went out at the top.

sprayed on the exhaust. drilled a hole down to the PTO (PTU). Rinsed and put new oil. So far, everything is fine.

from repairs mileage 5000 km

Attachments

• WP_20140904_005.jpg
    WP_20140904_005.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 440
  • WP_20140904_016.jpg
    WP_20140904_016.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 459
Had the TC service done today. After about 20k the guys at the dealer said the oil was very black and sludgy. They filled it a couple times to flush it out.
this is a must do maintenance item.

The only thing we didn't get on our 2013GT is AWD. We wanted it badly because we don't get snow we get ice and we also travel to Colorado a lot. I am so glad the dealer couldn't find one at the right price.

Sorry all you guys are having such troubles!

Had the TC service done today. After about 20k the guys at the dealer said the oil was very black and sludgy. They filled it a couple times to flush it out.
this is a must do maintenance item.

How many miles on the clock of your 07?

Latest posts

Back