Transfer Case - 4WD Issues

Hi,

My 4WD light flash everytime the car is slipping, is that mean something wrong with the AWD system?

Thanks

Hi,

My 4WD light flash everytime the car is slipping, is that mean something wrong with the AWD system?

Thanks

That's what mine did before I needed the transfer case replaced. at first I thought the light was normal, but then I tried whipping it out of a right hand turn and kept going straight. Then I knew something had to be wrong. The light is a warning light that something is wrong and not working right.

Basically what the Owners' Manual says is that when the 4WD light flashes, the system
detects large discrepancy of rotation between the front wheels and rear ones.
If this is temporary (once or twice) it should be OK if it goes away.
If it stays on or flashes very often, this could indicate a problem in the transfer case.
Better have it looked at (at least report the issue to dealer to keep a record) before
5yr/60K hits.

Consider changing out the lousy OE tires.

My 2010 with 34K mi. started leaking oil from the transfer/PTO box up front (drips on the driveway-90wt gear oil smell)
Took it to the dealership yesterday to confirm issue. Part (transfer case) to be ordered and replaced under original factory warr. within a month?

Up to now everything was running fine. No Towing.

Will update when replacement is done.

Keep an eye out for drip spots where you park!!

Last edited:
My 2008 AWD Sport had/has the same issue. At 36K there was a noise and the dealership said it was a bad transfer case. After waiting a week and a half they were finally able to replace it. Shortly afterwards I noticed some strange happenings especially trying to get up my driveway when it was wet the front tire(s) would spin sometimes, the TC light would blink and sometimes the 4WD light would flash, it wasn't until the first snowfall this year (I live in CNY) when I couldn't even get up my driveway. I took it back to the dealer with 45K miles and they said I had another bad transfer case, the bad news continued with there is a nationwide backorder and I am 149 in the queue to receive one, that was two and half months ago. Yesterday they called and said we just received your transfer case, I took my car in today and they called me this afternoon saying that it looks like because of the bad transfer case it has damaged my transmission and they need to replace that now. Now I am waiting on word of how long this will take, fortunately they said the transmission isn't on back order.

I like my Mazda, (it's basically going to have a new drivetrain soon), but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't part ways with this car I'm unsure what I should do.

In thw early days when Acura's SH-AWD came out initially. There were many issues.
After some investigation by Acura, they discovered that the technicians had put in the
wrong fluid into the SH-AWD system, causing it to seize up after a while.
I am beginning to wonder that if the high rate of transfer-case issue is related to wrong fluid
by some dealers. You know that all kinds of fluid need to be checked when a dealer receives a
new vehicle, and top off all the fluid. At this point, if wrong fluid was put/mixed in, things get "interesting"...
Just my guess since I have zero issues with my powertrain. After 45K, it still runs like day #1.
That is something I can't say about the Honda/Toyota I owned. They developed all kinds of rattles after a few years.
Anyway, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

BAR,
You have to be specific about "drain & replace" vs "flushing" the transmission.
The latter obviously costs a whole lot more due to labor.
For the former, as low as $120 is possible. I did that at 30K and will do every 15K thereafter.
Drain & replace is a dilution process, you have to get the rest of dirty fluid out by
subsequent shorter interval.

Some here are scared of "flushing" transmission to kick off the debris lodged inside the transmission
causing even more issues soon after. This has happened often. IMHO, this happens because
the transmission fluid was not replaced for a long time. Fluid flushing might cause debris to be
kicked off. If one maintains the transmission like clockwork, I doubt flushing will harm the transmission.
At least that was what I learned from BMW forum a while back when I owned my 540iA.
Those guys did flushing themselves all the times. Nothing bad happened to their transmissions.
However, that is just my view. Others might disagree.

BTW, do we know who made the transfer case on CX9?
We know the transmission is from Aisin (who supplies to Lexus/Toyota/Volvo, and others - Aisin is owned by Toyota).
Likely the transfer case is also since it is attached to the transmission, but I am not sure. Can you find that out?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Scheduled to drop off the Vehicle at the dealership tomorrow 2/17 for the new transfer case.
A two week wait for the part.

In a somewhat related issue, how many of you guys have the tranmission fluid flushed at ~30k mi. intervals (like what I'm hearing from several local dealerships) Price ranges from a coupon special of $148.99 to $239.00

I find it strange that the 30k tranny flush maintenance schedule is NOT listed in any of the CX-9 documentation or online??

This is the so-called "life-time" fluid. Very common in MB and BMW.
And, it is getting more popular.

Mazda's standpoint is:
there is no need to change anything unless something feels wrong. :cool:
Believe it at your own risk.

So my transfer case needs to be replaced. Was backing out of a driveway Saturday and the CX 9 lurched and made some frightening noises. Was able to make it home after letting it sit for a while. But on Sunday I tried to drive it and it sounded like nails were being crushed in the tranny. To be safe i called Mazda roadside assistance to have it towed. Dealer called today and confirmed that the transfer case was failing. Luckily I caught it early. Unfortunately part is back ordered for 2-3 weeks.

Fwiw Mazda roadside assistance was EXCELLENT. They worked with me on a time that worked with my schedule. They only needed a half hour window and got to my home 10 minutes early. This is a PITA but dealer and Mazda handled it perfectly.

Supposedly it's a Ford part, however the same part is used on Fords (believe it's the same Haldex system that came from Volvo) and has supposedly not failed (at least failed at the same frequency). I guess the failures are spread across model years and lots of parts. Could be a supplier issue, maybe a second tier supplier part that isn't built to spec. Who knows. I just hope it doesn't happen again. Thank goodness there's a 5/60 drivetrain warranty. The part alone is pretty expensive and I don't think the labor charge is low either since it seems like the job is realtively complicated.

Ford parts have caused lots of headaches for Mazda.
(throttle body, bearing, struts, now transfer case)
Luckily Mazda did not choose to use Ford's transmissions.

Mazda just ranked No.2 in ConsumersReports' brand ranking
behind Subaru with Toyota trailing as the 3rd.

According to Marklines, an automotive research site, the MY2011 PTU was supplied by Linamar. They are the former Ford driveline group. A company like Haldex makes the hydraulic torque transfer device at rear axle. In this case, JTEKT makes the TT device for the CX9. JTEKT usually has a quality product. I can't speak for Linamar.

Last edited:
Transfer Case replaced- everything good

Got our 9 back with a new transfer case. Running perfect, just took some time due to backorder. I guess I caught it early. Another 9 needed a new tranny because the transfer case caused splines to break in the tranny. Drove a 5 for 2 weeks, didn't realize how much we missed the 9 until today. BTW this actually cost less than I expected. It was covered by Mazda warranty but I got a peak at the cost breakdown. About $1400. Case alone was about $800. I thought it woud've been more.

I also had a transfer case replaced on my 2010 cx9. Had many issues with this vehicle being extremely unsafe in the snow. Had it looked at by two mazda dealers, once after the first winter and again just after a holiday snow storm in Maine. Both times I was told it was ok and no issues with car. After some persistence I went to another dealer who would listen to me after some more snow and he said the transfer case needed to be replaced. Had one in stock and drove out with a new vehicle. Completely different than what we had for 2.5 years. We were ready to trade it in towards a new pathfinder. Works awesome now so I think we will keep it. My advice to anyone is if you know something is wrong, stay on top of the dealers. We were lucky with it still being under warranty.

The last 2 posts are extremely helpful Thanks guys.

Antonio, did you drive the new Sky-active 5? I'd be interested in your opinion - if you don't mind highlighting what you liked/didn't like.

Back