Transfer Case - 4WD Issues

Well, I registered here because I lost AWD in the 2010 CX-9 GT @ 113,000 miles. I have front wheel drive only now. The t case has had new oil every 30k, the shop (not mazda affiliated) did it the first few times then I purchased the oil pump and started doing it myself from the youtube vids from here. I was using royal purple and always made sure I pumped out and replaced the fluid and made sure it was full, I'm a farm guy so I'm very used to pulling fluid and replacing in odd positions, this wasn't a big deal. The AWD went out, there was no howling, grinding or clunking it just went away. The only relevant thing is the right wheel bearing is going out as well, so some of the t-case noise could have been attributed to that, my wife drives it.

Some other issues:
Both front wheel bearings have been replaced already.
The right rear wheel bearing is going out.
The lift gate ram wallowed out a big hole in the tailgate where the ram connects, not cool. The little arm came loose, wife very upset she can't use the back door as I pulled the fuse after finding the hole. At least the ram won't try to shove through the window though.

So I guess I'm looking for a walk through on replacing the tcase, where to source it and whatnot then I'll address the other issues.

Thanks

it should be the same i beleive.

when you pull it out, make sure it is not the teeth in the transmission that are toast. Although i beleive only 2007 had the differential teeth go out like that. Since you replaced the fluid, it is surprising it still went out.

Do you have a flashing 4wd light when it is slipping or do you have a light that is always on?

yes, I was surprised it went out too. I've been using Royal Purple.

The light is only on while it's slipping, although my wife told me two amber lights came on in slippery conditions when we got a heavy snowfall.

I know the TCS light comes on frequently; but she said when she was climbing a longer snowy hill with constant slippage the 4WD light came on which would indicate high differential temp or something wrong in the AWD system...yes?

I will be installing a drain plug. I'm thinking about putting in a fumoto drain valve and changing it every oil change. I have one on my 16 Colorado and like it a lot.

Last edited:
ok because a constant 4wd light on means a problem with the rear diff, if it's flashing, it's probably the transfer case or the differential teeth,

The dealer wanted to replace my t case at 1700. I took the invoice that he gave me and checked at tasca and the parts come out to around 650 delivered. I think that the only other thing you need is the install kit which is 30 dollars which would bring up the total to 700 in parts. The dealers price for the parts was almost 1100. I will try to find the invoice and post the parts list here.

Well, I registered here because I lost AWD in the 2010 CX-9 GT @ 113,000 miles. I have front wheel drive only now. The t case has had new oil every 30k, the shop (not mazda affiliated) did it the first few times then I purchased the oil pump and started doing it myself from the youtube vids from here. I was using royal purple and always made sure I pumped out and replaced the fluid and made sure it was full, I'm a farm guy so I'm very used to pulling fluid and replacing in odd positions, this wasn't a big deal. The AWD went out, there was no howling, grinding or clunking it just went away. The only relevant thing is the right wheel bearing is going out as well, so some of the t-case noise could have been attributed to that, my wife drives it.

Some other issues:
Both front wheel bearings have been replaced already.
The right rear wheel bearing is going out.
The lift gate ram wallowed out a big hole in the tailgate where the ram connects, not cool. The little arm came loose, wife very upset she can't use the back door as I pulled the fuse after finding the hole. At least the ram won't try to shove through the window though.

So I guess I'm looking for a walk through on replacing the tcase, where to source it and whatnot then I'll address the other issues.

Thanks

There are walk through guides on youtube for a Ford Edge (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFtk6Ok1llk). The CX-9 should be very similar.

Here is the list of parts that was on the invoice the dealer gave to me

- AW21-27-500R-9U Transfer Unit 950.07
- AJ17-40-305 Gasket 11.11
- CY01-40-305A Gasket 13.00
- CY01-40--306 Gasket, EXH 6.72
- CY01-40-450 Gasket, CON 18.10
- CA01-40-581 RING, SEAL 24.85
-HO10-25-421A CLIP 1.16

Hope that this info helps. Sorry for the delay. Tasca has all of these parts and delivery at less than 700 dollars.

2008 Mazda CX-9 AWD - 132,000 Miles NO AWD Light on, no warning lights at all

Well the dreaded rocks in the front has hit me & burning oil smell from front. From reading this it says I could continue to drive, and at some point it will just be front wheel drive. I was just quoted $1,700 for a new TC case and thats before any "other" stuff needs to be done too.

*****MY QUESTION*****
What happens if I just keep driving? Will the TC lock up? Will it just get sooooo loud that it sounds like a garbage truck?

The car is only worth about $6,500-7,000 on craigslist, so putting more then $1,000 or so into just doesn't make sense. But on the other hand, newer everything else - Tires, rotors, calipers, pads, 4 wheel bearings.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
That is what the dealer charges. See if you can find someone other than the dealer that can do the work. If you price all of the parts and the transfer case it comes out to about 700. If you can get the labor done for about 3 to 4 hundred it would be a lot better than 1700 hundred. Mazda has the labor listed as 2.3 hrs while the dealer estimate was 5, more than double. If the rest of your car is in great shape you may or may not want to invest the money. I also have ripped leather on my drivers seat and a cracked side interior panel on the back, which is why I haven't invested the money in mine.

if it is not going to see snow often, leave it like that.

I personnaly took mine out so at least i removed around 100lbs from the car with the driveshaft.

Well - on way to dealership at 65mph, it cut loose and almost stopped making any sounds. For a minute I thought, here's my chance, no sounds, wipe up grease. and sell it. I drove around a parking lot by the dealership and made all kinds of turns and no sounds :)

On way out, at 25mph, there's a "hmmm" something there. No way anybody going to buy it with it making sounds, so I dropped it off and let them repair it. $1700 + Tax. I asked about water pump issues and he said not really a problem. Maybe just wanting me to come back for that repair when needed.

I might still sell it for the $7500 I can get, or keep it for one of the kids. But for me, I think its done.

I called local guy and he said $1200 for a used unit, NO WAY. Then asked for a new one $400 more, and he could not guarantee the core would be taken back so it could be another $300 if core was bad.

Mazda did not say anything about any core returns!

Can you let us know if that is all that they replace or if they find something else? I really would like to know. I don't want to take it to them and later they will tell me that it will need something else and make it more expensive.

Nothing but Transfer Case

Can you let us know if that is all that they replace or if they find something else? I really would like to know. I don't want to take it to them and later they will tell me that it will need something else and make it more expensive.

Only replaced transfer case, no issues with transmission or anything else. $1,920 all in! at least it runs now.....

just curious, any confirmed Gen1 kodo PTU failures here? or they still lack the mileage of the older Gen 1s?

Hi, I have the same problem with worn splines on my CX9, what outcome did you had with Mazda about this problem?

I consider this to be a design failure because there is no way an improper use can cause this damage and even more considering this car is FWD 90% of the time so this splined joint is not subject to excessive stress.

Greetings

Jesus

Just got the same problem on my 2010 CX-9, 120k. I bought this car in 2013 with 103k to a Mazda dealer. Maintenance (oil change and tire rotation) were done as per the book at the same place.
Transfer case spline is completely worn out (See pictures attached) and I just learned form the mechanics that the transmission arbor needs to be replaced as well, since it is damaged on the coupling female spline.

View attachment 209779View attachment 209780View attachment 209778

Mazda is hiding behind warranty considerations for the TC, and I am awaiting their feedback now that the transmission shaft is dead as well. These should not be life limited parts, or they just should drop designing and manufacturing cars.
Clearly reading the posts this is a design flaw that Mazda is not willing to address in a serious manner.

Hello All

I have read through the posts here and thought I would jump in with my own situation and see what the advice of the board is. I just purchased a 2015 CX-9 Grand Touring AWD. Everything about the car is quite nice except for one issue. On the 2nd day of ownership, I noticed a couple of drops of oil in my garage floor. Then I noticed some out on the driveway. I checked underneath and sure enough there was oil on the underside of the vehicle leaking from some unknown location. I took the vehicle out to my parents house where I could put it up on ramps and get a really good look at it. When I got to my parents house, I noticed a burning oil smell. I climbed underneath and took a closer look and decided it might be the transfer case that is leaking. After searching the internet for clues and answers, I found my way to this forum and this post. The car only has 23k miles on it. What should I do? Call my local Mazda dealership and check the warranty status? Call Mazda's customer service? I really like the vehicle but I'm quite concerned about this leak after reading through this post. I called the dealership the day after I bought the car and they said it's not their problem anymore. Quite the frustrating situation to be in. Any help is greatly appreciated.

If I remember correctly mazda extended the warranty to 7 yrs or 90k whichever comes first. Based on your model yr you are under both the yr and mileage of the warranty. Go to another dealer.

Back