Recording of Engine Knock / Rattle Noise in new CX-9: Help Needed

These things were the BOMB back in the Day!
1990-98-mazda-mpv-91807121990502.jpg

trust me, i said exactly that to them. i said, "you mean to tell me every brand new cx9 sitting on your lot ticks like mine? i know you can't honestly believe that..."

he didn't have much of a response to that.

Good luck and keep us posted. I also have the knocking sound when the engine is warm. I can even hear it under light acceleration. I got it occur while holding 2nd gear in manual mode and keeping the engine at about 2500 RPMs. I've tried 93 octane and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I can hear the knock as the engine spins up when I accelerate from a stop light. I can hear it in 1st, 2nd and 3rd until road noise drowns it out.

My engine also seems rather loud and buzzy which I didn't notice when I first got the car. I only have 5k on the odometer. Other than that the car runs just fine. I did go for a ride with the tech at my last oil change and he didn't hear it but I think I will need to bring it in again. I am not too keen on the idea of having them replace and engine.

trust me, i said exactly that to them. i said, "you mean to tell me every brand new cx9 sitting on your lot ticks like mine? i know you can't honestly believe that..."

he didn't have much of a response to that.

Well sometimes Mazda does eventually do the right thing: my Mazdaspeed 3 just had its warranty extended to 84 months for the turbo, and 84 months for the Variable valve timing/timing chain; people had clicking issues.

So the CX-9 probably hasn't had enough problems yet to warrant a recall. Heck, the MS3 came out in 2007 if I am correct, so 5 years later the letter comes out...

latest update is not good news. basically i got to the end of the road with the dealer, so i called the regional number and opened a complaint. got a call back yesterday that said essentially they have reviewed the case and determined the noise is normal and they will not be replacing the engine. needless to say i am pissed, and haven't had a chance to get back ahold of this guy to talk about this "decision" and what else they are willing to do about it. they think it's closed, but i'm not done with them yet.

still no news to report. i got back ahold of the customer service guy but he was no help, he claims to be powerless against the advice of the master tech who diagnosed the problem and says it's normal. however, i was able to get a time next week with this tech to sit down and hopefully discuss why he feels it's normal and go on a test drive specifically with him. the dealer service manager appears willing to help at least, so we'll see where this goes.

still no news to report. i got back ahold of the customer service guy but he was no help, he claims to be powerless against the advice of the master tech who diagnosed the problem and says it's normal. however, i was able to get a time next week with this tech to sit down and hopefully discuss why he feels it's normal and go on a test drive specifically with him. the dealer service manager appears willing to help at least, so we'll see where this goes.

Sorry to hear this. I hope that you get somewhere with this issue. Please keep us posted.

well i was slightly mistaken, appt wasn't with the tech but i met with the regional customer service guy on friday. we test drove my car with him and two other guys from the dealer and they all heard the noise loud and clear. we then took out a very similar 2011 with similar miles, and all three of the mazda guys claimed they could faintly hear a similar noise at a much lower frequency. i didn't hear a damn thing out of that car, that is the honest truth, and i said as much but i didn't figure they believed me. the crux of their argument now is that every cx9 makes this noise, which i think is complete BS. every loaner they've given me doesn't make a hint of this noise, including the one we test drove....but they have at least admitted that mine ticks much louder or higher pitch.

anyway, they called me back in yesterday to leave the car with them to run some more tests. i think they were going to hook up the computer some more and try to isolate which cylinder is ticking. more to come......

you certainly have something wrong. btw, what oil & filter are you using? just curious, as different oil & filters sometimes can make engine sound slightly different (thicker vs thinner etc)

i was using manufacturer recommended oil weight (forgot what it is off the top of my head) and a purolator pureone filter. but the first few thousand miles the stuff was OEM, including after the first change by the dealer after i bought it. plus, they changed the oil again when they had it last month, back to OEM again now. has made no difference in this case.

the persistence paid off! just got a call from the dealer, they are going to order a new engine. they are still sticking to their semi story of this being a normal noise and cautioning me that if the new motor makes it, basically i am going to be out of luck for any further fixes...but to be honest i am more than willing to take that chance. depreciation might be a hit but if i do a trade in down the road it won't matter. glad the dealer guys came through when regional mazda was initially resistant.

Hate to bring this thread back from the dead over 6 years later...but our '13 CX-9 just started making this exact noise (under the exact conditions - pressing the gas, warm engine, usually when going uphill, etc). Hard to really tell from reading this thread if the issue was ever resolved other than by replacing the engine? We've taken it to our local mechanic twice now and he thought he had it fixed but the noise is still there. It is over 120k miles so well out of warranty.

Mine never got fixed.
Ecm update may have helped slightly, but
I have 100k, 2008 model and it has never gotten any worse. Every once in a while I run a bottle of seafoam into a 3/4 full gas tank, and run a few tanks of 89 octane. That keeps it at bay. I also have a second airbox and swiss cheesed the bottom and bottom sides not facing the engine. Effective cold air intake. It makes intake noise that drowns out any pinging anyhow.
I put my stock box back in occaisonally.

Back