Rattle coming from the trunk area

mario8402

:
2004 Mazda3i
My wife has 07 3i and she recently developed a rattle from the trunk area. at first I thought it was the back dash moving up and down but I actually got into the trunk when she was driving and its coming from the jack area.
I removed the jack and it still does it. I stuck my hand in the jack hole and there is nothing down there. it isnt the little flaps either.
The car is not pulling and it seems to start around 60ish and is constant and gets louder over bumps.

I dont like posting things like this because it could be ANYTHING but I just wanted to see if anyone else had this issue. I had an 04 and never had any rattles like this one. I am going to rip out the trunk area and fender well plastic to see if I can find something

Did you check in the spare tire area?

My wife has 07 3i and she recently developed a rattle from the trunk area. at first I thought it was the back dash moving up and down but I actually got into the trunk when she was driving and its coming from the jack area.
I removed the jack and it still does it. I stuck my hand in the jack hole and there is nothing down there. it isnt the little flaps either.
The car is not pulling and it seems to start around 60ish and is constant and gets louder over bumps.

I dont like posting things like this because it could be ANYTHING but I just wanted to see if anyone else had this issue. I had an 04 and never had any rattles like this one. I am going to rip out the trunk area and fender well plastic to see if I can find something

Cars are natural noise transmitters, so what may sound like it's coming from the "jack area" could be anywhere in the trunk since metal vibrates and the trunk cavity resonates causing the sound to reflect everywhere. For example the other day I could have sworn a buzz was coming from the Passenger side B pillar in our Mz5 but it turned out the metal headrest legs weren't secure in one of the detents. Did you check the speakers? Did you check the area where the spare sits? The lug wrench sits in that area along with the tow-hook adaptor. They could be sliding around or under the spare.

If those areas are clean then I would take it to the dealer and have them put it on the lift. Could be a harness or a exhaust hanger came loose.

Last edited:
this is an older thread...but if the problem is still there...check the endlinks...I had that same noise and could have sworn it was the jack...but ended up being one of my endlinks

I ended up figureing this out.. I will have to take pics as its hard to explain, but where the sheetmetal meets and is spot welded the weld broke and it was rubbing. I will try to get some pics

i would check exhaust hangers, we have lots of padding under the body of the car by exhaust area, could be something loose, since exhaust goes right under the place where ur jack stand is (rounting)

Back