"This" close to buying a 5 - questions.

Hello! I'm new here so thanks to everyone for your help. I am very close to getting a Mazda5. I noticed last night when looking at the car that the back panels (where the 3rd row is) where the cupholders are seem very flimsy. I was just pushing on them and they seemed like they could pop right off. I know that the car has good safety ratings, but that still was worrisome.

Does anyone else notice that with those panels? Any problems?

Also, how comfortable is the driver's seat? I test drove it but didn't play around with the seat much so I know it wasn't optimal testing.
My husband is also worried about getting into the 3rd row with 2 carseats in the 2nd row. Can the seats still be moved slightly without having to take out the carseats totally? Should we try to get the storage area cover-is it worth the $140?

Thanks for your help! I am so excited to be joinging the Mazda family again (hubby had a Protege)

IMO you should tint your windows instead of the cargo cover, you have to remove it when you put your third seat row ...

Hello! I'm new here so thanks to everyone for your help. I am very close to getting a Mazda5. I noticed last night when looking at the car that the back panels (where the 3rd row is) where the cupholders are seem very flimsy. I was just pushing on them and they seemed like they could pop right off. I know that the car has good safety ratings, but that still was worrisome.

Does anyone else notice that with those panels? Any problems?

Also, how comfortable is the driver's seat? I test drove it but didn't play around with the seat much so I know it wasn't optimal testing.
My husband is also worried about getting into the 3rd row with 2 carseats in the 2nd row. Can the seats still be moved slightly without having to take out the carseats totally? Should we try to get the storage area cover-is it worth the $140?

Thanks for your help! I am so excited to be joinging the Mazda family again (hubby had a Protege)

What back panels are you talking about? I don't recall the Mazda5 having any panels in the back besides the panel that lifts up to hide the small storage space in the very back. I don't think it is any more flimsy than most other cars.... or are you talking about the actually 3rd row seat themselves?

As for your question about 3rd row access. It depends on how large your car seats are. The second row seats do slide back and forward but I'd suggest you bring your seat to the dealer and actually put it on the Mazda5 seat and see how the access is. The one good thing is the sliding doors which helps with entrance to the 3rd row either from the front or back of the 2nd row.

Again, I'd suggest bringing your seats to the dealer and giving it a full-test run.

back panels clarification

Thanks for the input. I was actually talking about the plastic piece that holds the cupholders for the 3rd row. If you are sitting in the 3rd row seats, and turn to the "wall" to put your cup there. That side panel seemed very loose to me. I don't think it is a big issue because I haven't seen any comments or mention of it, but I thought I'd ask the experts here. :)

Thanks again!

We don't seem to have any issues with the panels at the 3rd row. They give a little when pushed on, but not excessively. Maybe have the dealer check them against another to see if there is a difference.

Access to the 3rd row is easiest when releasing the second row - it moves forward and the seat back releases forward as well. With car seats installed, they most likely couldn't release as such. However, a child could most likely gain access to the third by going around the 2nd row. Anyway, kids only stay in car seats for 2-4 years.

By the way, welcome to the club, I don't think you will be disappointed!

I have 2 infant carriers (2nd row) and 2 highback boosters (3rd row) and have no issues with moving around the rear cabin if needed. My 2 six year olds get in and out of the car with the 2 infant carriers installed everyday. The mazda5 in my opinion is the perfect car for a family of 4, and a great economy or second car for a family of up to 6. We did just fine for 11 months with 4 kids in seats and a dual frame stroller in the Mazda5. We always found room for groceries and such. We only bought a full sized mini van to avoid switching cars all the time and for trips with extra passenger or larger cargo and passangers.

Never had a problem with the rear panels, and my boys beat on the interior pretty good.

No issue with back panels. We have 2 car seats in 2nd row. When the grandparents come to town, we make them drive and sit up front, kids in middle row and us (parents) in the 3rd row. As previously mentioned, you can't use the traditional way of getting to the 3rd row because the 2nd row won't tilt forward with the toddler seats. You need to be a bit of a contortionist to get to the 3rd row with the 2 car seats in the middle. We typically move a 2nd row seat all the way back and 1 front row seat all the way forward and that gives a good amount of room to get in and then straddle through the middle of the 2nd row to get back to the 3rd row.

Good luck! We only have to do this about 4 times a year and the fuel economy and driveability of the 5 are well worth it.

Yes you are right, the plastic panels on the interior are very flexible, and give quite easily. However there are several reasons for this, (1) The plastic is made to be easily recycleable. (2) Thinner plastic is lighter, and therefore conserves fuel. (3) Flexible plastics are much easier on the human body in the event of collision. (4) ...and most important to the manufacturer, it is cheaper to produce.(blah)

The drivers seat is very adjustable, with height, fore/aft, rake, and 3 position lumbar it should be easy to find a comfortable position. The seat is well cushioned and supportive as well, very good for long trips. What also helps, is the tilt/telescoping steering wheel. As far as the drivers position, the only thing that I wish I had more of, is knee room, but that is subjective to drivers proportions.

For me, one of the most important, and rarely discussed advantages of the Mazda5 is the seat height relative to ground height. The seat height makes it so easy to get in and out of the vehicle. I do not have to step up, and I do not have to crouch down.

In reference to the cargo cover, I have one also, but it is most often in the way, and ends up sitting on the shelf in the garage. I use it mainly for trips to the Costco/Sam's Club stores, when I don't want the sun baking my groceries during my 45 minute trip home. If you are not flipping and folding seats around often to switch between cargo and people, the cargo cover is very handy, keeps your cargo private, and it even cuts a little bit of roadnoise from the rear of the car.

Good luck finding another car that does all of the things the Mazda5 does, without compromising too much, I still haven't found another. This is the first time I have wanted to buy a duplicate vehicle, not for parts car purposes, but simply for the reason that I would like another for me to use when my wife is out using ours.

It is my swiss-army knife of cars, from hauling 6 people, to filling it with amazing amounts of cargo, to being a cruiser when I want to relax, and even being sporty when I am enjoying the curves and feel like zooming around.

It really is a good time to pick up a used 5. The Mazda5 is still not a very well known model, and used examples in good condition seem to be over-depreciated. For example my Mazda5, has lost ~50% value in just 3yrs, while the Protege5 I had previously owned has only lost ~50% in 7 years.

Last edited:
The Mazda5 is a terrible car, I don't recommend it

Now see my car list in my sig below, LOL (glare). One of the few things that wife and I have zero disagreements on, love our cars...

The part I thought was a little flimsy was the headliner around the lights - that area is just begging for a built-in sunglass holder.

From looking at the repair manual, that area holds the sensor for the alarm if I remember right - but since I have a sport I don't have the alarm, so maybe I can transplant something into that spot from a different car (like an Accord). I may have the headliner off by this summer anyway (looking at putting in a ceiling mounted flip-down DVD player), I will take a closer look at the sunglass holder idea then.

Back