Engine Removal/ tierod end removal

schumann1913

:
Titanium 3.5 MSP, silver 03.5 mazdaspeed(Old)
Im in the process of pulling my motor to rebuild it. Ive been for days now trying every which way to pop out the tie rod ends and ball joint to get the drive shaft out. I even got one of those forks to hit it out with a hammer and still no luck. Any thoughts?

take the nut off the bottom of it. then take and turn the wheel where you cak knock the **** out of it with hammer. get a 5lb sledge hammer and hit hit the metal it it goes down in. and hit it hard as you can (within reason) this will cause the metal to swell up. then if it still dont come out put the nut back on a few threads and tap it with the hammer and see if it comes out.

you don't have to take the ball joint off. Just pop out the outer tie rod end and unbolt the back of the lower control arm. That should give you just enough room to push the spindle all the way down and pop the axle shaft out of the spindle. I had to do the same thing when I yanked out my trans to get it rebuilt.

I've always had luck using something like a very large flat head screwdriver or small prybar to spread the part of the a-arm that clamps around the balljoint stud. Might take you two pairs of hands though.

I attempted to unbolt the lower control arm but one of the bolts wouldnt come out, even with an impact gun. and i banged the s*** hitting up on the bolt with the nut attached and on the metal and then with the tie rod end puller( some metal fork thing) and none of that seemed to work out either. do i need to remove the engine with the trans connected? thats what mazda told me, but its been puttin me back on my build because ive spent 3 weekends now on just trying to pop this tie rod end off. would i be able to disconnect the tie rod from the other end where it connects to the steering? Im going tp have to replace the one tie rod because the fork ended up tearing up the rubber boot

Back