Considering Flip Down overhead DVD player

Even minor bumps generate a LOT of force. That's why it's impossible for a person to hang onto a baby even in a minor crash. Also why I never stack cargo above the seat backs other than jackets.

I definately agree that flip downs are probably just as dangerous and the one i had strapped between the 2 headrests was even worse. I did not want to do a flip down for only that reason, but for also it obstructing the view of the driver.

I guess when you talk about spending $1000+ on headrest dvd's it is a small price to pay for safety.

I agree for pure safety the headrest type would be best.

You could do monitors for all 4 headrests a lot cheaper and tie them into any portable video source, even a laptop.

Something like these:

http://www.overstock.com/Electronic...2-inch-Headrests-Screens/3657538/product.html

http://www.overstock.com/Electronic...rest-Monitor-with-Pillow/3171653/product.html

http://www.overstock.com/Electronic...rest-Monitor-with-Pillow/3358352/product.html

Or even something like this:

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Pyle-PLD7HB-Car-Video-Player/3383297/product.html

The 9.2 inch Pyles are nice because they have the zippered cover to make them look like normal headrests when not in use and support IR headsets.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion, those look perfect for what I need. Just hope the black leather matches or comes close from the headrest to the seat. I have seen some on ebay, but I am a little skeptical of the ones that seem like to good of a deal. I saw some on ebay from a company called Onfair...price seems good, but I worry about quality.

Trey169, the only worry I have on headrest DVD is that it is an invitation for thievery.
Headrests can be taken off in seconds.
You might want to consider some headrest covers to go with that.

Good point. i have seen some headrest dvd's that have a zippered flap incorporated into the headrest. That or I can tint the hell out of the rear windows.

Did you see the first link? They have covers.

Attachments

• Pyle 9 Monitors with cover.jpg
    Pyle 9 Monitors with cover.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:
I did, and I do like those. I was hoping to get headrests with the dvd player incorporated into each headrest...I know I cant have it all at a reasonable price, but I just got my car so I will be patient for now and deal with the kids screaming in the car. I am sure they will eventually drive me nuts to the point I will pay whatever it costs to get it done.

Just wanted to say thanks for everyone for the great advice and help.

I 'm going against the grain and getting an overhead flip down installed next week. We do not have a sunroof and I'm hoping that it does not block my wifes view that much.

I found this for 630 shipped.

Audiovox-VOD10PS2-PlayStation-2-Rear-seat-System.jpg

It has a 10.2" screen, built in ps2, 2 wireless dualshock controllers, 2 wireless headsets, 2 ps2 games, wireless remote conrtol for DVD, built in wireless 16 channel fm modulator, and comes with 2 or 3 different color plastic bezels to match interior, 2 dome lights....plus 3 year warranty! Other that the way it loads a disc......I think its a good deal (scratch)

hopefully, if you have BSM, that will save you from a few crashes. Headrest DVDs would have costed you ~$300-400 online shipped with another $100 or so to install professionally (or DIY for free). they also have all the game features, wireless headphones, yada yada....and if you have 2 kids they won't fight over who gets to watch what first.

hopefully, if you have BSM, that will save you from a few crashes. Headrest DVDs would have costed you ~$300-400 online shipped with another $100 or so to install professionally (or DIY for free). they also have all the game features, wireless headphones, yada yada....and if you have 2 kids they won't fight over who gets to watch what first.

I'm a newbie sooooo.......what is BSM?

Where can I find a dual headrest for under 400 bucks that is not the WalMart brand?

Coby_7_Dual_Screen_Portable_DVD_Player_w_Battery_New.jpg

.....and my kids would still fight over what to watch even if there were 10 different tvs

BSM is blind spot monitoring. My mom bought the little ones the kind that strap onto the headrests for like $75. I haven't used them yet, but they were Panasonics, so not a bad brand. We don't take that many long trips nowadays, so I didn't want to drop $400 or more on something we use three or four times a year. I figure it's easy enough to strap these things on and take them off when we don't need them.

I wish we has blind spot monitoring but we do not.

We take a lot of trips and the CX-9 will hopefully make them more enjoyable that the long rides in the past.

I believe if you search you'll find at least one thread on this topic with some pictures to go along. Pretty much all strap-on headrest dvd players suck. We bought the dual audiovox from Target back when it was on clearance for $149. It works ok, but the screen quality on the slave screen leaves much to be desired, the volume isn't great without headphones, and it has no battery so you need to make sure you plug it into an always live car outlet in case you need to make a rest stop. However, we have never had an issue with skipping and they have always worked pretty well. Looking back, they probably aren't worth more than $149, certainly not $249.

AUDIOVOX

They have since started carrying an RCA brand which appears to be getting better reviews. It's $239.

RCA

We are going to have some integrated Rosen's installed probably around March. I'll post some picks after it gets done. They are FAR more expensive, but the overall quality and flexibility, especially picture clarity and viewing angle, beats the hell out of any portable or strap-on.

ROSEN

The same website as above appears to carry some less expensive universal options. If you are ok with not having a perfect match headrest, this might work for you.

UNIVERSAL

I just converted our CX-9 And purchased the Audiovox Movies 2 Go.
They are built into the headrest (come w/New headrest) so you can swap them out if you have a lease. - Look Great! See link on info. Purchased from Crutchfield.com (they are a great business - been shopping with them for years!)
Default.aspx
Installed myself - Took maybee 3 hours w/the help of a 2 and 4 yearold - would have been done in 1.5 hours if done alone. -LOL

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_220MDHRPKG/Audiovox-Movies-2-Go-MMD7HRPKG.html?tp=80

Latest posts

Back