Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!

Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mazda 3 life expectancy

Registered Member

2009 Mazda 3 i Touring Value Edition

2009 Mazda 3i Touring Value Edition
    Metrolpolitan Gray
    ONE OWNER
    Car looks and runs like new.
    143k miles. Regular documented maintenance by Burdick Mazda. New front end, Monroe front struts, control arms, wheel bearings etc. New brakes in front and rear. Fun to drive, auxiliary audio input. Black Premium cloth seats. Two sets of wheels. 17 inch OEM summer wheels and 15 inch winter Sport Edition rims with Blizzak tires. Winter wheels are on the car now. Seperate Mazda Winter rubber floor mats. Goes great in the snow.

2011 BMW 528i, 2015 Mazda 6, 1995 Nissan Maxima Manual

if the proper 5w30 oil is used, I imagine the engine can last a fairly long time. they are not as reliable as a toyota or honda, but well built nonetheless.

2011 mazda 3 hatchback GT

Quote Originally Posted by GJ-Molestor View Post
    if the proper 5w30 oil is used, I imagine the engine can last a fairly long time. they are not as reliable as a toyota or honda, but well built nonetheless.
    not as reliable as a honda or toyota? what the hell are you talking about, i have had 2 and neither had any major mechanical issues. all they ever needed was routine upkeep, and as with any car this has to be done very regularly (fluids, tires, alignments etc) i would venture to say they are better then many hondas and just as good as most toyotas. had a friend with a bought new 2011 civic and it had paint fade, clearcoat peel wore out the suspension under 50k miles, interior had very noticeable wear and fade after only a few years, and it burned oil. only major issues my 2 had was both needed rear and passenger motor mounts (known issue and easy to remedy) and the newer 2011 one needed a headlight assembly due to a failed hid ballast seal that was 6 years old when it failed. had a celica that was a POS it had evap and egr system problems that would not go away o2 sensors failed 3x in a year had to get it illegally inspected 2x before i got rid of it. it only had 130k miles when this happened. my 08 3 had 85k when i wrecked and totaled it, my 2011 currently has 78k and running nice and strong. i had an 03 protege 5 that was fantastic as well 176k when it got hit and totaled and it had just come off of FACTORY struts and tie rods and control arms all changed at 160k miles. only real issue it ever had was coils would fail regularly (bout every 10k miles) but they where cheap ($25 ea had 2) and lifetime warranty at vatozone so i kept 2 in the car and when one failed i just took 3 minutes changed it and warrantied it for another to have as a spare. had a nissan sentra with 300k miles still going strong when i sold it to a neighbor drove it to 500k doing a business from home driving alot sold it still running, its alot in how you maintain it along with build quality toyota makes good cars, but so does mazda nissan and honda and i always look at all these brands when car shopping
    Disturbed "is she not right, is she insane?"

2014 Mazda3 S GT auto, 2008 MX5 6-speed

I believe Mazda is one of the few car companies is which every single model is recommended by Consumer Reports. In their April 2015 annual auto issue, they ranked Mazda #2 among 28 car companies. Toyota was #3, Honda was #8, and Nissan was #18.
    2014 3S GT, Deep Crystal Blue, Eibach Pro-Kit, Enkei PF01s, Koni Sports
    2008 MX-5 Touring (Mazdaspeed CAI, HIDs, Progress/Koni Sports/Racing Beat sways, Magnaflow)
    2002 Protege ES (Sold for $1700 with 131,000 miles)

2015 Mazda 3s Touring

Having own(ed) multiple Toyotas and Hondas both nearing 300,000 miles each on the odometer before selling them I can say with personal experience that they're both very reliable and do last a long time. Having said that and with over 32,000 miles on my Mazda 3 so far I have no doubt that it will see the same kind of mileage by the time I decide to sell it. So far my M3 (2.5L MT) has been rock solid and I love driving it.
    2015 Mazda 3s Touring Hatchback 6-speed manual
    2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250
    2008 Toyota RAV4 AWD V6

I've had more problems out of my 06 v6 mazda 6 than I've had out of the 3. My 05 3 HB was a rental car that I bought in 06 w/30k miles and it now has/222k miles. Extending the wires that go to the MAF sensor, replacing the catalytic converter (which was done 2 weeks ago. The MAF sensor wires had broken inside the sheathing and caused it to run rich which in turn messed up the cat), replacing the nut that holds the fuel pump to the fuel tank and replacing the ac compressor are the only major things that had to be done outside of regular wear/tear items (tires, spark plugs, struts, etc...). It has never left me stranded, it's paid for and I actually like the car so much that I'm thinking of either upgrading or replacing everything so I can keep driving it for another 3-5 years.

Registered Member

2004 Mazda 6

Last year I bought used Mazda3 for my son and the car is good as new.
    My first Mazda was 323f so I guess it is some sort of tradition. Small Mazdas are passion.

Rust is your main enemy, as many members pointed out.
    Last edited by Suther76; 05-13-2017 at 09:56 AM.

Registered Member

Mazda 3

Have a 2014 3 with 2.0 Skyactive engine bought new, so the 13:1 compression was initially a question in terms of longevity. I commute 70 miles to work and have since bought, for 4.5 years. Have 176K miles on it and never even a warning light (knock on wood). Oil chg every 7.5K, complete trans maintenance at 125K, radiator flush and fill at 160k. Plan to change spark plugs out at 185K. Getting ready to put 4th set of tires on it, and other than brake pads when worn out no other expenses as yet. Serpentine belt looks like new, no gaulding cracks etc. Plan on buying a new 6 Grand Touring with the 2.5T engine this coming spring and my college-age son wants this car. I am sold on Mazda.

2007 3i & 2014 CX-5

190k+ on my 2007, no major issues, and no plans on getting rid of it. Only minor issue I had with it was a failed evap purge solenoid a few years back causing hard starts. 50 bucks, 5 minutes to change it, and I haven't had any problems since. I'll probably give her a 200k-mile go-through in the spring (belts, plugs, coolant flush, etc).
    Jon J.

2007 Mazda 3i Sport 2.0/5MT
    2014 Mazda CX-5 Sport 2.0/6MT

I really miss my 3! A wheel from a dually that landed shinny side down caused the death of my beloved at 247k by knocking the engine and transmission off the mounts, cracking both the block and transmission damn near in half and making for one helluva misadventure!! RIP Gertrude!!

2007 3i & 2014 CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by babyluv1 View Post
    I really miss my 3! A wheel from a dually that landed shinny side down caused the death of my beloved at 247k by knocking the engine and transmission off the mounts, cracking both the block and transmission damn near in half and making for one helluva misadventure!! RIP Gertrude!!
    Glad you're still around to post about it! Yikes. I hope that didn't happen at highway speed.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Thank you. I hit it at 70mph and the tires went about 2 feet off the ground after I hit it. It was a blessing that no one was around me as I traveled from the left lane all the way to the right shoulder. The accident that was a result of the me hitting wheel was an even bigger misadventure than me actually hitting the wheel was.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123