This is not another what rim size thread! Stock rim new tire size question?

bman2033

:
2007 Mazdaspeed 3
Soooooo....... I want to buy 18 x 8 rota torque rims, but my tires need to be replaced like now!!! I am wondering if I dont have the money to do rims and tires now, can i buy 225/40/18 tires and will they fit on the stock rims fine until a couple more paychecks then i can get the rims?? the stock tires are 215/40 right? so I did not think 225/40 would make a diference. thanks in advance.

Well, here ya' go:
Tire Size: 215/45-18 vs. 225/40-18
Diameter: 25.62" vs. 25.09" Difference: -0.53"
Circumference: 80.48" vs. 78.81" Difference: -1.67"
Revs/mile: 787.26 vs. 803.94 Difference: +16.68
Speedo @65 vs. Actual= 63.65 = -2.05%. Worse as speed increases. Better as speed decreases.

Last edited:
ok bbrich57 you sound like you know what your talk about and you sound smart with that jumble of numbers, but I have no idea whether that means yes that the tire 225/40/18 will fit on my stock rim for about a month or two until i get my new rims. really confused 0.o

...except that the stock tire size is actually 215/45R18, not 215/40R18...
Ah-ha! I did wonder about that and thought they were 45 series OE. I did the calcs based on the OP.

ok bbrich57 you sound like you know what your talk about and you sound smart with that jumble of numbers, but I have no idea whether that means yes that the tire 225/40/18 will fit on my stock rim for about a month or two until i get my new rims. really confused 0.o
I thought I would post the info so that you could make your own determination.
How wide are the OE wheels? 7.5" IIRC, right?
My guess is that they would work just fine. But tire sidewall height vs. rim width & diameter are all factors when reducing aspect ratios and increasing tread width.
Personally, I am running 225/45-17's on a 7" wide wheel and that's OK, but they are of course 17's not 18's and 45 series vs. 40 series. In other words, a 7.5 or 8" wheel may be the lowest you can go w/that tire.
You might also go get the wheel size recommendations from the manufacturer's site. I have found most to be on the conservative side however, and usually take it as advice but also w/a grain of salt.

bman2033...

As a usual rule of thumb for replacing a tire size with a different dimension than OE, most tire dealers try to keep you within 3% of outside diameter. Anything over 3% and you are typically required to sign some type of waiver.

The 225/40R18 tires will fit on the 7x18 OE wheels for the MS3. Only difference you will notice is the odometer, which doesn't bother me much as it is a surefire way for reducing your speeding tickets.

well im not going to use this combo forever. I want to buy the tires then about 2 or 3 months later get the rota torque rims. but my cars tires has not been changed since new and i have 34,000 miles on them. they need to be replaced. i guess i will just buy them together.

Back