Bluetooth microphone placement, etc.

ProtegePower

:
2002.5 MP5, automatic (sport shift)
Hey guys. I'm excited because my new head unit arrives today. Finally replacing the factory stereo (after 7 years) with a Kenmore DNX-6140. http://www.crutchfield.com/dnx6140

Instead of paying my local audio shop $300 labor, I think I can do this myself. My main concern is where/how to string and place the microphone so the wire is reasonably hidden and the mic is in a functional place. Tips?

I suppose I have similar choices to make regarding the GPS antenna and the USB cable. I'm thinking the glove box would be good for the USB cable. Also, I have a video bypass device arriving.

Any general thoughts on DIY installation of this stereo? It's coming with a car-specific kit at least.

Did you mean Kenwood? Kenmore makes items for Sears. Anyway, I put my mic in front of the gauges. It works pretty well, but there is some echo issues. Once I put my headliner back in, I will problaby move it up there as I have had better luck with them there. If you need the speed sense wire for the gps, it is purple/red or green/red at the pcm pin#58. The pcm is beneath the carpet in the passenger side footwell. If you need any more info, let me know, I am an installer and have an 03 p5 myself.

Haha yes... Kenmore is my washer/dryer.

Thanks for the info on the speedsense, I'd forgotten about that.

No problem. Have fun with the install. If you need any other help, I have done a lot to my car in that area.

I had a DDX6019. Replaced it with a DNX8120 (and an alarm, long story). Did both installs myself; head units are not difficult in this dash.

I had bluetooth for both installs (separate unit for the 6019, integrated on the 8120) and placed the microphone on the steering column just above the wiper stalk both times. You really don't notice it and with a slight upward angle on the mic I've had no complaints about performance.

Just my two cents.

I installed a avic N4 in my p5... with bluetooth mic and what not.. my aftermarket alart that i have has an antena that i have in the center of my windshield above the mirror.. that is where i ran the mic to.. it is a little intrusive IF you are looking for it and know it is here.. i havent really found another place to put it othere then there.. i ran the cables down my Apiller, along with everything else that I have done to it. as far as installation goes.. are you running amps for your mids and highs? what about subs?
if you are planning on installing them.. now might be an opertune moment to install your cables while itis taken apart.. just my two cents though..

the deivce box that you bought... you could have saved your self money and just hooked up a switch... one side goes to the deck.. for the ebrake input the other side goes to the ground.. you just have to look and make sure it is a negitive trigger or a positive trigger.. if ti is negitive.. ground that sucker out.. and vice versa when it is positive..

I've never done a double-din stereo install on my P5, but I've gone through several single-din units, and I can tell you that the installation shouldn't be difficult for a double-din. You're definitely making the right choice by doing the install yourself and I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find help on these forums if you're stuck.

As for the mic, I used to have a bluetooth capable stereo and I found the best place to put the mic was clipped to the visor. I wish I had pictures to show you, but I ended up selling the stereo to a friend, but I can tell you that whatever new bluetooth stereo I do end up getting, I'll be doing the same thing with the mic.

So if you look at your visor, you'll notice there's a plastic "pocket" that you can slide your car registration paperwork into. My mic had come with a clip that I slid into and it held very well. You may have to do something different, but basically I put the mic there, and took the mic cable and routed it down the A-pillar, across and under the steering column, to the back of my stereo. The only cable you'd see was the 7 inches or so coming from the top of the A-pillar and across to the end of the visor, and you'd only see this when the mic was in use. Otherwise, with the visor in its regular closed position, you'd see mainly the mic.

When I wanted to use the mic, I just tilted down my visor a bit towards my head. It didn't obstruct visibility too much, though the mic was in my line of sight. But whenever I didn't need to use it I'd just close the visor. I found this placement better than putting on top of the steering column in front of the gauges, where some instructions will tell you to put it. The mic just wasn't able to pick up my voice too well, but that was with my equipment, also Kenwood brand.

Hope this helps.

3420016528_ea61529e29_b.jpg

My Deck.
3419215299_eddebf768a_b.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pictures! I had it pretty much the same way as judman13, except I clipped my mic at the front, and not in the corner the way he has it. But still, good stuff.

There was so much cable with mine i really could have put it any where I liked. That seemed the best placement for it. I tried to get it closer, but really couldn't find a reasonable spot.

Back