Real 30000 mile maintenance

AZM5

:
2007 M5 Touring
Just wondering what you would really NEED to do at a 30000 mile check. I know the dealer has a list a mile long and a price tag a mile high. Some of the checks they do are legit I just have a hard time believing their recommendations.

Thanks for any info.

Check on the chapter 8 of your owner's manual, it has 2 schedules there by time and/or miles. That should give you a good feel for what is needed

I recently went through this delemna with the 24,000 km service. My next big-ticked service is 48,000km ($30,000) which is what your looking at now. It seems like most of these service regiments are the classic oil/filter/rotation plus a couple of other services and a crap-load of 'inspecting.'

For 24,000km the only legit item on the service list besides the oil/filter/rotation was a brake cleaning. For 48,000km its going to be something else.

What I'm saying is that I would recommend doing the oil/rotation, and then doing the other maintenance items that don't include 'inspect' in their descriptions. If they call for tranny fluid I'd get it changed, when they call for timing (much later of course) do that. etc.

I think the 48,000km service here in Calgary is about $550-$580. The actual maintenance items can likely be done at a legit shop around here for about $250, and a decent inspection is another $90-$100.

Once you get to the really high mileage regiments, personally, I'd do all of the items including the inspections since they include things like inspecting the chassis and chassis fasteners.

I've not yet had to do any maintenance on my Mazda5, but from experience with other cars just piece out the work. Have a tire place inspect the brakes and rotate the tires, have an independent but certified mechanic do the inspections as well as anything you can't do yourself. Just keep careful records of all work done and make sure all work actually is done to make sure the warranty stays valid.

Back