Cold engine noise (ease my paranoia)

dmention7

:
'03.5 Blue MSP #2543
After cleaning and replacing my air filter today, I fired up the car and poked my head around under the hood for a few seconds (a habit after I once left the MAFS unplugged, and found that my car ran like ass the next morning). I noticed that if I gave the throttle a quick flick, revving up to maybe 2000-2500rpms, I could hear a quick series of metallic pings right as the engine speed leveled off, and that sounded they were coming from lower down on the motor. It would last for maybe 1/2 second, even if I held the throttle steady. It wasn't loud enough that I could hear it inside the cabin, and I'm fairly certain I've never heard it when the engine is warm (I'll take a listen tomorrow after work).

It doesn't sound like detonation-related pinging, but then I can't be sure I've ever actually heard it before, hehe... Plus, it doesn't seem right for that to happen on a cold motor. I'm no expert at diagnosing engine noises, so does anyone care to take a stab or prod me for more info? I did a little bit of googling, but I didn't find anything that seemed terribly relevant.

Some FS engines are noisy at start up. Could be a combination of many factors but most likely is not a serious issue sice it goes away once the engine oil is up to operating temp.

Would be more noticeable on colder days. Check your engine oil level and consider switching to 10W30 unless your temps are lower than 0 in the winter.

My N/A FSDE sounded horrible at cold start when I first got it, and I was all concerned that something was wrong...now I am resigned that this is just a characteristic of my engine after two years of no issues...

Was the intake manifold vics/vtcs screw problem fixed before?

After cleaning and replacing my air filter today, I fired up the car and poked my head around under the hood for a few seconds (a habit after I once left the MAFS unplugged, and found that my car ran like ass the next morning). I noticed that if I gave the throttle a quick flick, revving up to maybe 2000-2500rpms, I could hear a quick series of metallic pings right as the engine speed leveled off, and that sounded they were coming from lower down on the motor. It would last for maybe 1/2 second, even if I held the throttle steady. It wasn't loud enough that I could hear it inside the cabin, and I'm fairly certain I've never heard it when the engine is warm (I'll take a listen tomorrow after work).

It doesn't sound like detonation-related pinging, but then I can't be sure I've ever actually heard it before, hehe... Plus, it doesn't seem right for that to happen on a cold motor. I'm no expert at diagnosing engine noises, so does anyone care to take a stab or prod me for more info? I did a little bit of googling, but I didn't find anything that seemed terribly relevant.

No, it hasn't been. One of my spring to-do lists is to pull the mani and remove the flappers anyways. But, the noise was almost certainly coming from the lower area of the motor and not the intake mani.

Also, I have been using 10W-30 continuously since I bought the car in 07. We only get a handful of days below zero here.

Thanks for the replies :)

Possibly a crank bearing?

No, it hasn't been. One of my spring to-do lists is to pull the mani and remove the flappers anyways. But, the noise was almost certainly coming from the lower area of the motor and not the intake mani.

Also, I have been using 10W-30 continuously since I bought the car in 07. We only get a handful of days below zero here.

Thanks for the replies :)

I had the same problem, brough it into the dealer late one night and went back the next morning so the mechanic could hear it on a cold start. Got in it and started it and held it at 2,500 rpm's. It made a very noticable tapping sound. He said it could just be my exhaust shield. ( becasue my car was still under warranty and they were lazy). so i never got an answer. but i hear that the 2.0's do make some chatter on start up and its normal. it goes away when warm.

Possibly a crank bearing?

hehe, I said "ease" my paranoia, not fuel it. But really, I'd have no idea what to listen for if it was something like that. My first car developed a pretty bad knock on one of the connecting rods, so I know what that sounds like... and it's nothing like that. Aside from watching for metal shavings when I change the oil, are there any other telltale symptoms I can look/listen for?

Back