Snow chains/cables

USAFVMI08

:
2006 Mazdaspeed6
Hey all. I'm about to make a trip through the Rockies down to Texas from Washington and I'm thinking about getting a set of chains/cables for my car. I still have the normal Potenzas which SUCK in the winter weather, which you all know. I did a search and didn't really find much info on the matter. What I'd like to know is whether or not anyone here has used them and what their experiences are with them. I still have a good amount of mileage left on these tires so getting new tires is not really an option since I'd be throwing away a bit of money.

So, what do you all think?

I'd recommend buying a full set of steel rims ($60-$80ea) and put studded tires on them for winter driving.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd be scared to put chains/cables on this car for fear of tearing up the fenders and/or wheels.

I think the owners manual specifically prohibits chanis on the car. Im not sure the awd/dsc will like it much either. I say go with winter tires, and I dint just say it, I have used dedicated winter tires for many years...and they are hands down the best winter safetynet.
-a

I don't have the money for that though. That's the thing...

Not to mention I don't have a place to store them, either. I don't have my own place and probably won't until July.

Last edited:
u also need the chains because if there is a snow storm some highways are chains only but as said and i will double check..its says no chains or cables should go on our car.. and sunshine theres a big difference between using winter tires here in new england vs where he will be in the rockies..we get a 2ft snow storm its a big deal..if they do its normal for them..

Last edited:
i live in the mountains, with truck hazard grades, and let me tell you, if you are confident in your ability to drive your car, you dont even need snow tires, i used all weathers the whole winter in slush blizzards and 6 inches of snow, and embarrassed MANY MANY cars, suvs, trucks, and jeeps on the road and highway. anyone who attempted to follow me at my pace spun out or gave up quick. im not saying do this, but this car's AWD system is absolutely fantastic for snow.

Hey guys, sorry to dig this back up again...

Has this been beaten to death yet on whether or not we can use them?

I have confidence in my ability to drive in the snow (and have done it many times on summer tires and all seasons while putting other drivers to shame :D ) but like was mentioned earlier...some of the mountain passes here require chains or traction tires. Again, I don't really have the money to spend on winter tires at the moment...otherwise I would.

I'm planning on heading up to into the mountains in a few weeks to do some skiing with my girlfriend.

Anyways, lemme know! Thanks! :)

Hey guys, sorry to dig this back up again...

Has this been beaten to death yet on whether or not we can use them?

I have confidence in my ability to drive in the snow (and have done it many times on summer tires and all seasons while putting other drivers to shame :D ) but like was mentioned earlier...some of the mountain passes here require chains or traction tires. Again, I don't really have the money to spend on winter tires at the moment...otherwise I would.

I'm planning on heading up to into the mountains in a few weeks to do some skiing with my girlfriend.

Anyways, lemme know! Thanks! :)

From what I have read in the manual, no chains are recommended for use on the car. I'm sure it would mess up the DCS in some way or another..

Okay. Now, if I were to drive it with DCS turned off at that time...do you think it would still screw it up?

And I actually just took a look at the manual. All it mentions about not using chains is that it would cause damage to the body. My car isn't lowered and has stock RX8 wheels on with 225/45/18 tires. Plenty of wheel gap (mud boggin ride height ftw). Also, the cables I'm looking into are these ones...

http://www.vulcantire.com/cgi-bin/chainsearch.cgi?size=215/45-18&model=SZ129&f=chainz6_c.htm

They fit really tight around the wheel assembly and should leave plenty of room so they don't hit the body.

Again, if I run with the DCS off, I shouldn't have any problems, correct?

I stand corrected. However, even with cables I know I'd still want to have the DSC on to aid in control of the car. As far as it messing up the DSC, not sure..

Yeah. I mean, thinking about it...it would be like having studded/traction tires on. Sooooo I should be good....in theory :)

Which are these normal Potenzas you speak of?

I had a set on my (non-awd) Civic during an awesome snowfall in 2008 here. Never got stuck once.

Fast forward to December 2010 with awd and "all season"falken ziex 912s and I wanted to shoot the car.

Check craigslist or something for used snow wheel/tire combo's. Otherwise, your options are limited.

Back