MEDIA won't work???

supergoose

:
07' Mazdaspeed 3 Sport
My MEDIA button doesn't do anything when I push it. I am trying to get my MP3 player to play and it won't do anything. Any suggestions?

how is your mp3 player hooked up? if it is plugged into the aux input in the console then the aux button would make it work. if it is the oem mp3 player then you want to push the cd button once to play cd and again to play the mp3 player. the media button I believe is for satalite radio

Yeah, the stock head unit only has 1 rca input i think, so Sirrus takes that spot. You can buy a kit to fix that problem

All you have to do is remove the Headunit and switch the input cables, the AUX IN cable is laying there behind the headunit.

Supergoose... Travo83 comment is correct

Check this:

-I bought a 2008 MS3 that also has the Nav system.
-Media button on radio or mode button on steering will not select Media.
-There is a sticker on the inside of the driver arm-rest above AUX input.
-Sticker states that due to SAT and or AUX install the AUX line is disconnected. It also states that a Switch has to be installed
-The Switch allows both the SAT and AUX to share the same audio input to radio.

Now, here is the catch.... IF...IF you have the NAV system in your car, the switch is not compatible.....hence the AUX input in car is useless.

ALSO

Like my MS3 with a date stamp 12/16/2007... the switch also will not work on any car made before Jan 1 2008. So, check your MS3 date stamp.

Now I will vent.... I bought a nice Ebay 8GB LCD MP3 player. and a 6" male double end jack before finding out this situation. Why advertise an item on a car itemize listing sheet that does not work! This minor discrepancy is a major blow to an devoted music lover.

My dealer tried to soften the blow by giving me 6 months of free SAT....I guess.

The Satellite radio is not really that bad. The House, Raggae, Jazz stations are pretty good. The rap stations are not Radio edit have too much cursing for me though. I probably will enroll after 6 months.

In my 08.5 the media button is for the Aux jack and the Sat button is for sirius and they both work since with the standard integrated sirius in the 08.5/09's they also put the switch in too so both will work

My MEDIA button doesn't do anything when I push it. I am trying to get my MP3 player to play and it won't do anything. Any suggestions?

First off what year do you have? Do you have sirius? Both sirius and the ACI use the same port on the back of the HU and are mutually exclusive unless you install the Mazda switchbox (see my audio input thread).

rubasu said:
how is your mp3 player hooked up? if it is plugged into the aux input in the console then the aux button would make it work. if it is the oem mp3 player then you want to push the cd button once to play cd and again to play the mp3 player. the media button I believe is for satalite radio

SAT is for Satellite radio, MEDIA is for the ACI

Travo83 said:
Yeah, the stock head unit only has 1 rca input i think, so Sirrus takes that spot. You can buy a kit to fix that problem

There are no RCA inputs on the stock HU.

Nuffflavor said:
Like my MS3 with a date stamp 12/16/2007... the switch also will not work on any car made before Jan 1 2008. So, check your MS3 date stamp.

That's odd. The switchbox is specifically for '07-'08 models. If you have a 3 made after 1/1/08 it's the '08.5 model and they removed the need for the switchbox.

My Switch issues

First off what year do you have? Do you have sirius? Both sirius and the ACI use the same port on the back of the HU and are mutually exclusive unless you install the Mazda switchbox (see my audio input thread).

SAT is for Satellite radio, MEDIA is for the ACI

There are no RCA inputs on the stock HU.

That's odd. The switchbox is specifically for '07-'08 models. If you have a 3 made after 1/1/08 it's the '08.5 model and they removed the need for the switchbox.

I got all of this information (my 1st post info) shown to me from the Service Desk Manager while I was in the waiting room, and this ordered / Mysterious Switch was being installed onto my MS3! I have the Nav system and the Mazda rep showed me an itemized MS3 config sheet. This sheet showed an MS3 with NAV SYS and....and SIRIUS unit is in-compatiable to the switch. Then further down this sheet the Mazda rep pointed out the switch was only good on MS3 after 01JAN08.

If you know OR have ACTUALLY gotten this to work, let me know....BUT...BUT I waited a full 4 Hours (no joke! I clock it!) waiting for the technichian (fustrated as Hell) trying to install this switch and make it work properly.

Last edited:
take out head unit and take out the plug that has the satellite radio, there should be an exact plug like the satellite one zip tied to the wires. Take that one out and plug it into the spot where the satallite radio was. Viola.. you have your Aux input ;)

I haven't torn my appart yet to look at audio wise, since iv been a motor head lately. But i think this saturday i will. I have been a Octane ***** with Sirrus lately. Love that station. i will update my findings once i get things apart

I haven't torn my appart yet to look at audio wise, since iv been a motor head lately. But i think this saturday i will. I have been a Octane ***** with Sirrus lately. Love that station. i will update my findings once i get things apart

Yeah, since I, myself, have a free 6-month access to SIRIUS... I have become somewhat addicted. I will prob enroll and just accept the AUX input loss. Now, ..... If I only had a one (1) disc CD player, then I would definitley have no choice but to pry open the front dash and swap connections.

Hey Chippy,

What kind of plug is it? RCA? Thinking of maybe a Splitter (two RCAs in / one RCA out) might work. If it is an RCA style plug, what are the ends? SIRIUS side male or female end?

Hey Chippy,

What kind of plug is it? RCA? Thinking of maybe a Splitter (two RCAs in / one RCA out) might work. If it is an RCA style plug, what are the ends? SIRIUS side male or female end?

It's a proprietary plug for the Mazda HU, not RCAs.

Back