steering issues?

:
GMC Syclone and Mazda Pro5
when driving down the street at 10mph... the steering wheel will turn side to side about an inch real quick... faster or slower depending on speed. I'm also getting heavy wear on the inside of the drivers side front tire.

checked balancing, rotated tires, and did alignment. tire shop said wheels are not bent. Yesterday i noticed that the drivers side front sway bar end link has popped off...

but could that really be the cause of the problem? i know its a cheap part, i just want to know if theres any other possibilities so i can fix everything the first time.

TIA

depends on how bad the alignment was off before they fixed it. Is it an even wear along the inside of the tire? or is it choppy, lower in some places then others?

the alignment is good and i've replaced the tires since then and the new tires are starting to wear the exact same way. it's even wear right in the edge of the tire almost right on the apex of the tread and sidewall... the rim does look slightly towed in... but i asked the guy at the tire place about that and he said they did the alignment to the correct specs... just in case he was full of s***, i took it to another place and that guy said the same thing, although he seems to the think the sway bar mount is the cause for the shaking in the steering wheel and the uneven wear... but that shouldn't have that much of an effect on the tires... handling yes, but not the tires.

or am i completely wrong?

nah haven't run into anything like that recently... i hit a curb pretty good a few years ago while avoiding an accident, but if that caused any damage, the tire wear/shaking wouldve been occurring since then... At this point the only thing left that i can think of, is a bent control arm? But i didn't think you could do a proper alignment if the control arm was bent.

well if i bent the frame from going up on a curb, then this lil "mazdarati" is one flimsy POS! I think i'm gonna have to get this thing up on a lift to really see exactly wtf is goin on.

...to be continued.

Back