Towing?

lynn02

I'm looking for a new car. I test drove the Murano and it was ok. Yesterday, I test drove a CX7 and I liked it. I test drove the CX9 and I have to say out of the other two I just bout loved it. I've read some posts about towing. I'm wondering if I get one with the towing package, will I be ok towing a small utility trailer to haul my dirtbikes and sportbike. That is my main concern at the moment. I'll be getting rid of my Jeep Liberty and my RX8 to get the CX9. Any info is appreciated.

If you're going to buy the car I would suggest getting the towing package. It's not that expensive and from what I've read on here, it's not too easy to put an aftermarket towing kit on it.

I haven't heard anything on here about anyone having towing issues. It's only rated to tow 3500 lbs, so I wouldn't think you would have a problem towing a utility trailer.

lynn02,
First, you need to find out how much weight you will tow.
The standard CX9 can tow 2000lb (if you install a hitch aftermarket - part is about $120-$150 - 1/2 hour labor DIY). With Tow package, it can handle 3500lb.
The Tow package includes
- OE hitch 2 1/4 openning
- larger capacity radiator
- larger transmission cooler
- ECU programming to handle heavy load and reduce fish-tailing

The aftermarket hitches are all 3" opening below the rear bumper. The OW one cut into the lower edge of bumper, which seems better integrated. So, it is your choice.
There is a thread on hitch with pictures of post-installation if you search.

CX9 is a great vehicle. You will enjoy driving it.

Keep in mind that for 2009, ALL AWD CX9's come with the towing package already installed. You just have to add the hitch receiver. The FWD is Grand Touring only as an option.

You can get the factory 1 1/4" which is well hidden, or an after market 2", if you need that size. I have one of the few 07 Sports with a factory receiver. My accessories are that size, which is why I didn't want a 2".

Unless you already have something that needs the 2", get the factory receiver. It's cleaner looking and more than adequate for the 3500 tow capacity, with the right ball and draw bar.

It's an option on the FWD GT. (Note: Not available on FWD Sport, Touring or all AWD trims)

All 3 AWD trims are tow ready. You just buy the hitch receiver. That's why it's not available as an option on the AWD's.

I should be ok then. I plan on getting AWD. I forgot to add that in my original post. I'll just make sure I get the factory receiver.

If you have to have the dealer add the receiver, which you should, make sure they do a good job cutting out the rear apron for the tube. I saw one on a lot that looked like the had a badger gnaw the opening out.

When I cut mine out, I actually went beyond the lines a bit to make it easier to install the pin. Pardon my car. It needs a bath.

Happy Towing

Attachments

• CX9 Hitch Receiver.JPG
    CX9 Hitch Receiver.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 503
  • CX9 Hitch Cutout.JPG
    CX9 Hitch Cutout.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 500
Towing with CX-9

I used mine 08 AWD GT w/Tow Package to tow my two road racing bikes to ButtonWillow (approx 250mi) and Infineon Raceway(70 mi). The total weight of the bikes and trailer is about 1,500 lbs.
1) It towed awesome--couldnt even tell I was towing--until I looked at the gas guage
2) Going to BW--I averaged 80mph (yeah, yeah, yeah--its illegal--whatever), got about 14mpg
3) Going to Infineon--I averaged over 16mpg (80% freeway/20% streets) averaging about 70mph on the freeway
4) The only thing that bugged me, was on I5 on the first trip to BW, the car wanted to stay in 6th or 5th gear most of the time and just bog, I would have to manually shift to 3rd or 4th to get the revs into the powerband. It seems like it locks out and gears lower than 5th/6th over 75mph. I didnt notice this going to Inf, as lower speeds like freeway on ramps it down shifts as it should and will carry the revs to just below redline.

? Does anyone know if the CX-9 with the tow package has some kind of "learning ability" to down shift more aggressively??

I guess Ill find out soon enough on my next trip.

Aside from that, I love the car, its really my wifes, but she lets me borrow it for track/race days. I wasnt so sure since our other cars are an Acura TL and a Mercedes Wagon--But this car ROCKS and was really affordable--which menas more racing for me(2thumbs)(2thumbs)(2thumbs)

No reason the adaptive transmission shouldn't work when towing, also.

One note though, the CX9 will try to prevent you from driving at high rpm's for sustained periods to keep from overheating the ATF. I was driving into a very bad headwind and used manual in 4th to maintain 75mph. The car locked me out and made me take it easy before overheating.

No reason the adaptive transmission shouldn't work when towing, also.

One note though, the CX9 will try to prevent you from driving at high rpm's for sustained periods to keep from overheating the ATF. I was driving into a very bad headwind and used manual in 4th to maintain 75mph. The car locked me out and made me take it easy before overheating.

Cool so it does have an adaptive nature(??). Interseting, didnt know that about the ATF seems odd that at 80MPH, and supposedly with a beefed up tranny cooler (on the tow package)--it would get too hot.

I was tow that the towing ecus generally hold lower gears longer--No idea on the Mazda

I was fighting a pretty serious headwind as well

Ill report back and let folks know if it gets any smarter(rlaugh)(rlaugh)

Just read about the adaptive tranny--my wife has driven the car almost exclusively--she drives rather conservatively--now I know why it got better w/me driving it. I still cant see how lugging it in 6th gear at 2K RPM up a hill at 80mph is gonna save gas--weird

Last edited:
I have a 2008 CX9 with a factory tow package. I tow a 5x8 enclosed trailer with two race karts, kart stands, tool box, etc with no problems. I would guess total weight is 2,000 lbs. It tows great with no problems.

Back