Speakers in Sliding doors

bootman

Has anyone attempted to install speakers in the sliding doors?
Looks like there should be room for a 5-1/4 set.

Have you accounted for the windows that roll down? Could hit the speakers.

No, haven't even taken the panels off yet.
(hoping someone else has previously)

I'm planing a major audio upgrade and if I have time will do so to check clearances. If I have at least 2 inches I should be ok since a 6-1/2 shallow mount coaxial will fit. (aka Polk db651)

I remember reading somewhere that European models have pockets in the rear doors but I didn't see pictures. Maybe there are pics on the web which show these locations.

european models do not have pockets in the sliding doors. and thats for a good reason (check below)

be carefull! check the clearance to the rear fender when doors are open. i doubt that there will be enough space for the speaker grilles. afaik the german forum members also discussed that and at the end just dropped the idea.

a good alternativ solution is to place some additional tweeters on top of the rear side covers in the trunk facing them forwards. if the trunk is loaded there should be enough sound getting to the rear passengers.

Do it and report back :)

From a quick visual, seems to have enough space for a shallow mount 5 1/4, maybe 6 1/2. Are you ready to cut a hole into the door panel and frame?

I think the hard part will be keeping all that plastic and sheet-metal from rattling, buzzing, knocking to your tunes when you crank it up. I suppose if you used rubber sheet under the mounting points. Probably the only way to find out is to try it and see what happens. I'd rather get a powered sub and remove all the low frequency from the speakers myself, I find the speakers distort the worst when trying to handle heavy applications of bass and mid-range at the same time. This is with a Pioneer AVH3200 DVD driving the stock speakers BTW....

I think the hard part will be keeping all that plastic and sheet-metal from rattling, buzzing, knocking to your tunes when you crank it up. I suppose if you used rubber sheet under the mounting points. Probably the only way to find out is to try it and see what happens. I'd rather get a powered sub and remove all the low frequency from the speakers myself, I find the speakers distort the worst when trying to handle heavy applications of bass and mid-range at the same time. This is with a Pioneer AVH3200 DVD driving the stock speakers BTW....
I dont think heavy applications and stock play well together.

My concern is more on how can I get a nice clean hole cut while aligning the door panel hole (grill) to the door mount hole (speaker) without having to buy a rather pricy hole saw or spending a lot of time using a grinder/dremel trying to free hand a non-oblong hole. Followed by how do I protect the speaker from water (baffles), rusting proofing, and ensure it does not create a water entry point. Rattling is an easy fix, IMO.

Id like to do this for the kids. When the trunk is loaded with cargo, it obstructs sound from the rear speakers. I fade it to the rear and crank it up but then it sounds bad. We don't take long/loaded up trips often so I'm not motivated.

I dont think heavy applications and stock play well together.

My concern is more on how can I get a nice clean hole cut while aligning the door panel hole (grill) to the door mount hole (speaker) without having to buy a rather pricy hole saw or spending a lot of time using a grinder/dremel trying to free hand a non-oblong hole. Followed by how do I protect the speaker from water (baffles), rusting proofing, and ensure it does not create a water entry point. Rattling is an easy fix, IMO.

Id like to do this for the kids. When the trunk is loaded with cargo, it obstructs sound from the rear speakers. I fade it to the rear and crank it up but then it sounds bad. We don't take long/loaded up trips often so I'm not motivated.

If the speaker is on the part of the door that overlaps the body when the door is open, I highly doubt that you will have enough clearance for a speaker grill. When I put sound deadening in the door, I didn't pop the door panels all the way in and they rubbed on the side of the car when the door was opened.

Why not just add a pair of extended range tweeters higher in the door? IF you can find a pair that can reach as low as 2K, I think that would compensate considerably for what has been lost from the rears (most likely highs anyway since the higher frequencies are very directional, so they don't probably shoot straight into the stuff in the trunk area)

If the speaker is on the part of the door that overlaps the body when the door is open, I highly doubt that you will have enough clearance for a speaker grill. When I put sound deadening in the door, I didn't pop the door panels all the way in and they rubbed on the side of the car when the door was opened.

Damn, I never realized it was that tight a fit with the doors open! I just assumed there was plenty of daylight between them with the doors open. I just went out and opened both my sliders and you are 100% correct its really a close fit....

I wouldn't want to mount them towards the rear as the sound would project into the chair. My though was a cheap pair of coaxial mounted at the very bottom, towards the B-pillar. The sliding door panel is quite large/tall and the glass is not as large. Assuming there's enough space with the window all the way down, my hopes would be to squeeze something in there, whatever size allows. Other option was component speakers mounted towards the rear of the door (didn't realize the tightness you mentioned) + directional tweeters somewhere in/around the door handle projecting towads 2nd row occupants? Either option, I fear the rear output is too close to the front occupants. All pipe dreams at this point.

Maybe a better location for a sub would be under the second row seat bottom compartment. Just a suggestion.

Back