Bov Help

haha the day i reached 99miles i had a blowout on the highway and i shredded the lug key taking the rim off. i just got the car back two hours ago with an alignment, oil change, and new kuhmos for summer, i gotta teach my girlfriend how to not suck at filming things so gimmie a couple more, i also have to edit training videos for my dog so im a little swamped. she has her first competition in 4 days. also i found a very big dealer in north nj that doesnt care about mods!

Excuse my noob-ness. All my previous cars have been NA.

Why would I want to let air out? Wouldn't keeping it all in the system be "better" than letting any air out?

Is the Forge BPV a recirc? Wouldn't recirc be best for not losing anything? I had planned on adding this with a downpipe and tip. Does this part not impart any performance gain unless your OE part is leaking?

This thread made me confused. (uhm)

Our cars are designed to run in 100% recirc. You can run it in VTA, but it will not run correctly without some sort of tuning to make it accomodate the release of air.

The Forge is 100% recirc. There are hybrid valves out there, as well as full 100% VTA ones. Your best bet is to keep it as close to stock in design as possible IMO.

One last bit of advice. Check your stock valve for leaks by doing the pen test:

-take your thumb and cover the small opening at the top of the valve. With a pen, push the piston up and release. The valve should hold the piston if you are holding boost tightly. If not, you may have a leaky BPV.

Ultimately, our engines are a vast combination of parts that work together, and I hate to blame the BPV as a problem for everyone.

i run dual port or "hybrid" which means it recirculates and sometimes it vents to atmosphere, i beleive when it VTAs it also recirculates air anyway to keep a/f ratios correct. IMO Turbosmart has the most unique and unannoying sound, (sorry sword clash/mario coin forge guys). its definitely the most un-rice of the bunch. car runs fantastic.

also i found a very big dealer in north nj that doesnt care about mods!

sorry to thread jack, but which dealer are you referring to?

haven't had any issues yet [knock on wood] .... but i would love to avoid the hassle of finding a good mazdaspeed authorized dealer in nj that is more accepting of mods. especially since im down south and closest one is in toms river [45 mins].

I'm a newb to turbos and am slowly learning about them. But running the bpv or bov recirculated doesn't give you the sound that vta does right?

right, its quieter. but you'll still get plenty of BPV goodness in recirc!

given you have an aftermarket intake of some type.

Okay so by VTA you lose some boost 1-2 psi? But by doing it recirc. you hold boost 100%..

I think I'm starting to understand haha..

My old roommate, I think is on here, has a MS3 that I used to help him work on so I know a little bit about said things but not much since I've never been around or owned a turbo'd car before.

Okay so by VTA you lose some boost 1-2 psi? But by doing it recirc. you hold boost 100%..

I think I'm starting to understand haha..

My old roommate, I think is on here, has a MS3 that I used to help him work on so I know a little bit about said things but not much since I've never been around or owned a turbo'd car before.

our cars are made to run recirc.. so if you run VTA it runs like s*** and back fires

You don't lose boost going vta. You mess with the AFR's by not recirculating air that the ECU thinks it's going to get.

during the VTA you are bound to get backfire because of what Blender said about the ECU, it will add extra fuel to the mix to aid in cooling, so you run rich unless you get the tuning to go with it.

I'm running a Forge BPV. Yellow spring+ 2 shims. Definitely improved the driveability of my car and the sound isn't bad either :). Doesn't sound like a terrible clanging sound, yet. Haven't installed my SRI yet. I will say that even though it is quiet, it DOES get the attention of other people on the street that might be next to me when I shift or let off the gas. I had two people think I was trying to race them tonight. Sorry dude, just accelerating like I normally would away from a light... :p

Back