My (brand) new non-Mazda!

magnumP5

:
'86 RX-7 Base, '79 RX-7 GS
Well, the time had come to sell my beloved '86 Toyota pickup. Dealership wanted $1600 to fix it (alternator, P/S pump, engine wiring harness, distributor o-ring and labor), which was far more than any price I could ever hope to sell it. I had planned on buying the parts (sans P/S pump) and doing the install myself and then trying to sell the truck for $1000 but I got a call from one of the technicians working on it and they offered me $500 for it. I counter-offered $750, he accepted and yesterday morning we exhanged title and money. All I have to do now if get the spare engine for my Protege5 out of the back.

Anyhow, last weekend, when all these issues started I started looking at new trucks again. I originally was going to get a Nissan Frontier but Nissan refuses to make one to my specifications so that fell through; enter Tacoma. Long story made short - I picked up what you see below yesterday afternoon and I'm already having a blast!

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Specs:
2009 Toyota Tacoma
Access Cab
4.0L V6 (1GR-FE)
6-Speed Manual Transmission
4x4
Black Sand Mica Exterior
Graphite Gray Interior

Only mod so far is a K&N drop-in air filter. My fiance' is the cosigner on the loan and she would kill me if I did anything to this truck without consulting her. Future plans are:

16x7.5 TRD FJ Cruiser wheels with 265/75R16 All-Terrain Tires
TRD or URD Quick-shifter
TRD Shift Knob
TRD Aluminum Pedal Covers
URD CAI
Doug Thorley Long-tube Headers (yes, plural!)
Doug Thorley Catless Y-pipe
JBA 2.5" Catback Exhaust

It will be a while before the majority of these get impletemented though. I have to convince the fiance' first...

Congratulations, the tacoma is very nice truck and great color choice too. Enjoy it, your going to not want to drive the P5 now. I know if I had a tacoma I would hardly drive the mazda.
How does it turn in low speed driving situations, like a tight parking lot. Back in 2001, my sister had a SR5 4Runner that had the worst turning radias making it annoying trying to navigate a garage parking lot.

Last edited:
Congratulations, the tacoma is very ncie truck and great color choice too. Enjoy it, your going to not want to drive the P5 now. I know if I had a tacoma I would hardly drive the mazda.
How does it turn in low speed driving situations, like a tight parking lot. Back in 2001, my sister had a SR5 4Runner that had the worst turning radias making it annoying trying to navigate a garage parking lot.
So far I love driving it (the P5 hasn't moved since I picked this up yesterday, LOL). It's definitely a completely different feel than the P5 - definitely a truck, but then again that's the reason I got it. Compared to my old '86 the turning radius is a little larger (it is a larger truck) and the suspension is a little softer. I'm still getting used to the size so I do a lot of re-adjusting in parking lots. There aren't too many small parking lots or roads where I live so no problems yet. I'm also parking extremely far away from other cars to avoid dings >.<

Nice! I don't see the TRD supercharger in that list hehe
LOL, waaay too much money for that thing. Even though there's a lot of factory support, I just don't think I could ever go F/I on a vehicle that was N/A to start out with again. Lesson learned with the P5. I'm going to keep things simple with the Tacoma as it needs to be very reliable - possibly towing the P5 when needed. The mods I listed should be more than enough to have some fun!

First dont get the URD cold air you have to cut the core support on the truck. also try and find a b&m shifter my buddy just got one for his x-runner and it is awsome. also the TRD FJ wheels you cant get unless you have the TRD version FJ. Toyota put a hold on all the parts for the FJ. they have to enter the vin number and they record that you ordered the parts. so basically you have to have a TRD FJ in order to get the parts.

First dont get the URD cold air you have to cut the core support on the truck. also try and find a b&m shifter my buddy just got one for his x-runner and it is awsome. also the TRD FJ wheels you cant get unless you have the TRD version FJ. Toyota put a hold on all the parts for the FJ. they have to enter the vin number and they record that you ordered the parts. so basically you have to have a TRD FJ in order to get the parts.
Well damn, I just read about that too! Not that I have any problem cutting supports - hell, the support on my P5 is cut to pieces and is still fine. It's just going to be hard justifying this to the fiance'. I just don't like all the "cold air box" kits that are made for trucks so perhaps I'll just make my own intake. As for the wheels, well that sucks too but I'll ask my dealer just to be certain. I could always just go with the "Baja" style wheels off the TRD Off-Road trim. Either that or I suppose I could always go with aftermarket wheels. As for the shifter, I've never really liked B&M so I'll have to look into that more. Apparently these things are difficult to install on Tacomas?

the shifter is really nice the throw is amazing compared to stock and it only takes like 30 mins to install. all you need is a couple of tools and thats it. the thing about the b&m is they are kind of hard to come by since they dont make them anymore.

Nice truck. You could never go wrong with Yota trucks. Just be prepared to be doing front wheel bearings sometime in the future.

Nice truck! My dad got an 07 a couple years ago in pretty much the same exact trim. He does wish he would have gotten the 4 door though as the access cab is kinda BS and useless lol

Nice truck! My dad got an 07 a couple years ago in pretty much the same exact trim. He does wish he would have gotten the 4 door though as the access cab is kinda BS and useless lol
Well the fiance' and I never intend to be using this as a means to transport people. Our Proteges (well, her's really) will serve that purpose. I just have the belief that everyone should own a truck. Not for daily driving, but for when, you know, you need a truck! One of the things I'm planning on doing is adding the towing package and picking up a little trailer so I can tow the P5 if needed.

yeah, i made my dad get the topwing package so I can borrow it to tow the RX7 LMAO

I wish he would have gotten it in something besides silver....this truck looks so bland in silver...

I wish he would have gotten it in something besides silver....this truck looks so bland in silver...
I agree. Silver and dark green (my parents own two dark green cars) are two colors I will never own - just to boring. I would have loved to get the blue, but it isn't available unless you get a TRD package. My fiance' vetoed red because we already have a bright red vehicle so it HAD to be black according to her (but her Protege is black, WTF?). She actually likes the chrome grille too (boom01)

Nice Taco.
Thanks all. Man, I've already started looking at mods... I've been looking at lift kits. It appears the 3" is a pretty good height and some 285/76R16 (33") tires would look great! Man, stuff is so cheap for this truck too. I can get a basic lift kit (front an rear) for $300! Of course, I'd want to add struts and a bunch of other misc stuff that would bring the price to ~$900 but this one company (ToyTec) has a complete lift kit with front coilovers, rear add-a-leaf and all the required relocations brackets, lowering brackets, etc and it's only $1100 - that's for everything! I can't even get BC coilovers for the Protege for that amount!

very nice...my buddy has a quad cab and loves it. I've driven it a couple times and thought it had a nice balance of "truck" and "car". If I were in the market for a truck I'd get a taco.

Back