Blueprotegelx Turbo Build

I can't wait to boost so I can make a new sig...ha. I hate looking at everyone's sig with intercoolers hanging out the bumper. :(

I have gone through my thread a few times today and gone through others sigs and other build threads. I feel like I have everything needed to do this...I believe the only thing i need to get is oil, coolant, oil filter, and some cutting wheels for my dremel.

Simple Question: When I put my new oil pan on with the fitting, do you guys usually put a new gasket on with sealant on both sides of the gasket or is it okay just to put the sealant on and go from there? I've put just sealant on my old TSI when I rebuilt the motor, but I just wanted to get your guys opinion on it.

EDIT: Sealant/gasket where pan meets block not the gasket for fitting to oil pan since it's being welded on.

i did it with the gasket and sealent on both sides but i dont reccomend it..i wish i would have just done it with the sealant... gasket was a b**** to keep in the right spot...plus all they use is rvt from the factory

Simple Question: When I put my new oil pan on with the fitting, do you guys usually put a new gasket on with sealant on both sides of the gasket or is it okay just to put the sealant on and go from there? I've put just sealant on my old TSI when I rebuilt the motor, but I just wanted to get your guys opinion on it.

EDIT: Sealant/gasket where pan meets block not the gasket for fitting to oil pan since it's being welded on.

i don' t think it would hurt anything. i've done a bunch of gaskets using RTV also and never had issues.

I've always put sealant with the gaskets. I was just asking about the oil pan gasket b/c that would mean I would need to get one. ha.

Looks as though I may only need a couple gaskets.

For those who have gone from NA to Boost, what type of problems have you ran into along the way? This is just a question to see what type of problems some of you have ran into on the inital start up.

I have not heard of many having problems on the initial start up after boosting.
Example: Vacuum leak, boost levels to high or to low due to having bought a used wastegate, coolant/oil leaks, etc.

i just used rtv and its been fine so far
I will be getting gaskets and using RTV sealant as well. I've always used RTV sealant with gaskets, except when I put on my ported/VTCS removed intake mani and ended up having major vac problems. So I uninstalled applied sealant on both sides of nsn spacer, intake mani spacer, and throttle body gasket just in case, lol. It worked. lol. I just want everything done right the first time without any problems. I was just going to put everything I have on, but I think I may take the lines off the turbo and rewrap them with plumber's tape to prevent leaks.

Last edited:
i had no problems at all on startup...but be warned... THERE WILL BE SMOKE....eveything youve touched on the turbo assembly will be smoking because its burning off the oils...plus if you didnt already strip that paint like i suggested then thats gonna burn and stink like a mother fucker...

ALSO>>> unhook the coils and crank it for about 30 seconds to prime the turbo before starting

i had no problems at all on startup...but be warned... THERE WILL BE SMOKE....eveything youve touched on the turbo assembly will be smoking because its burning off the oils...plus if you didnt already strip that paint like i suggested then thats gonna burn and stink like a mother fucker...

ALSO>>> unhook the coils and crank it for about 30 seconds to prime the turbo before starting

Paint is still on exhaust pieces. I wish I knew it before hand, I figured it would smoke no matter what since I've, and will be touching everything with greasy hands. I will take note though on unhooking the coils!

I'm going to invest in a magnetic oil drain plug. Does anyone know the size or where I can get one? I looked at AutoZone and they did not have any. My g/f's car, Pontiac Sunfire, came with one oddly.

nope...i just officially ended the parts buying on my car though...picked up a 79 camaro project!

NICE! You'll have to make a thread for it. My bro is a huge Camaro fan. Has an 85 Camaro and an older firebird. He has a lot done to the Camaro, most is by upgrading it's parts to newer Camaro/Corvette/etc parts.

Edit: Found a few drain plugs on ebay.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back