• Autometer Triple A-Pillar Pod with:
o SunPro Boost Gauge
o SunPro Water Temperature Gauge
o SunPro Oil Pressure Gauge
• ForceFed Steering Column Pod with:
o AEM UEGO Wideband Gauge
• Dave B Gauge Cluster Rings
• Carbon Fiber Cluster Overlay

______________________________________________________________________________________
Beginning:
I've been collecting parts here and there as most of you know. I decided to start my thread and get opinions as my goal is to turbo my car before the summer begins. This is only the beginning, once turboing and feeling comfortable I will be acquiring a clutch, and then acquiring a spare motor to slightly build w/ forged internals, machine work, etc.

Mods: MSP ECU, MSP Manifold, MSP turbo w/ oil and coolant lines, MSP S/J pipe (jpipe is now painted as well), MAM Vac Block, HKS SSQV (need oring), Ebay intercooler piping, TurboLife FMIC, Injen Intake, Split Second Air Fuel Controller, JDM Intake/Exhaust Cam, SunPro Boost/Vac Gauge and Electric Oil Pressure, Millenia PCV, Emissions Canister Valve, Mazdaspeed Should straps, 2X195/55/16's, AWR rear motor mount (for sale or trade for side mount inserts). My oil pan is not present as my bro is welding a fitting on for me at the moment.

I have Dave B Gauge Cluster Rings and Oil sandwich plate on the way in order to hook up Oil pressure sending unit up and still use the stock sender. I still need to get exhaust gaskets, o-ring for hks ssqv, fittings for vac block, and a few couplers (about another 50 bucks worth). I may also look into the Greddy Profec B EBC in order to stay around 5-7 psi in the beginning. Let me know what you guys think and if there is anything I am forgetting.

The first one is partial of kit together:
8302006027.jpg

8302006020.jpg

8302006021.jpg

8302006022.jpg

8302006023.jpg

8302006025.jpg

33009052.jpg

33009053.jpg

33009054.jpg

33009055.jpg

33009056.jpg

4/06/09:
-SLSPerformance Air Divertor panel w/ out latch cutout (Cutouts are discontinued, so i'm going to cut this one out myself.)
40609016.jpg

-NGK V-Power ZFR6F-11 Spark Plugs
40609015.jpg

-ATP fitting: 45 deg, 1/2" NPT Male to 5/8" single slip on barb
(weld onto oil pan)
40609014.jpg

BOOSTED:
71009016.jpg

71009004.jpg

71009007.jpg

71009009.jpg

71009010.jpg

71009011.jpg

71009012.jpg

71009014.jpg

71009017.jpg

0703091503a1.jpg

Under car view:
0703091503b1.jpg

Night pics:
TurboB009.jpg

Interior shot with new gauges and dave b rings install:
Iphone006.jpg

Vacuum block: Red hose-bov, middle hose-wastegate, last hose goes to boost gauge
TurboB010.jpg

Oil Adapter plate, oil pressure sensor, oil feed location: Oil on adapter is not a current leak. This is from when I found that there was not a plug in the t fitting therefore oil sprayed out. After seeing this happening immediately instead of using the tfitting I removed it and ran the oil feed line directly to oil adapter.
TurboB003.jpg

MAF & BOV:
TurboB016.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________
Update 8/24/2009:
protege002-1.jpg

protege003-1.jpg

protege004-1.jpg

protege005-1.jpg

protege006.jpg

protege007-1.jpg

protege009.jpg

Just a reminder that my boosted protege is cool b/c it has a sunroof unlike msp's lol
protege010.jpg

Last edited:
It will be a month or so before I am able to install

I will be getting O ring, gaskets and possibly oil pan tomo morning.

Last edited:
Just purchased reducers for my IC piping in which I completely forgot about until I was piecing the kit together in my room. ha.

i hope thats ceramic coating not paint... also whats up with the random line with the breather on it?

Ignore the random line, the only item of importance is the breather itself. I realized that when I was picking things up and took the breather off and threw the hose in my "parts" box....Actually there was a few other parts that really did not need to be photographed as well.

also thats not a turbolife fmic...its like the exact one metallic uses

I purchased the FMIC from an individual who purchased the intercooler from TurboLife's first group buy. It was supposively his first intercooler he designed. That is what I was told, if it is that big of a deal I will remove the name. lol.

I have been bugging a lot of you about this for many months now. Seems like after the consistent questioning I would have more parts than what I have, but for now the "basics", and go from there. I tried to obtain as much knowledge in the beginning before acquiring parts.

good man, the reason it feels like a basic kit is because you've become used to the idea and mechanics behind it.

explain what you are doing to a noob and what his head spin lol

My next newb project will be tuning/engine management which is why I am going to wait to install the SS AFC. As I have mentioned to a few, I want to also wait to install it so that if anything does go wrong with the turbo install, I can rule out the AFC since it will not be wired in. ha.

so far it looks good man! crank up the boost to 11psi after you install the AFC, then the fun begins.

I would love to 'crank' the boost up to 11 psi, I just do not feel safe until I have enough funds. Until then I would like to keep it around stock boost.

Last edited:
i know how you feel bro, i beat my car daily so im ok being @ 7.5psi for now, when i finally get an afc ill go up to 9psi, 10 for track and call it a day

After researching a lot of the members who have converted to the "darkside," I think I will end up being another statistic. ha. A majority in the beginning swear they will stay at stock boost levels (5-7 psi) and within a month or so are craving more boost. ha. My TSI was so easy to just jump into and up the boost. I had a Walbro fuel pump in it so I could easily hit 16psi and go play. Give it time though, one day I will exceed 11's haha.

yeah, you will want more boost. i started at 8, then 9.5, then 10, 10.5, and now 11 haha

roffles, im the opposite

started @ 9, then dropped to 8, now 7.5.

all by itself too, just fixed leaks or changed setup around

Back