MS6 Transmission Hard to Shift

drew900

I just test drove a 2006 MS6 today and the transmission was extremely notchy and almost impossible to get into any gear. I didn't drive it more than a mile because I didn't feel safe driving it with the way the transmission was behaving, since it was difficult to get into just about every gear. When trying to downshift in to 3rd once, it sounded like there was some gear whine and you could feel a slight deceleration (not because I was off the gas) caused by me trying get the transmission into 3rd gear. Back in the parking lot of the dealer when sitting still the transmission shifted how I would expect a car with 30,000 miles to. It was about 50 degrees outside and the car was cold.

Is this normal behavior or is there something up with the drivetrain?

Thanks

it is much better when warm, but yeah thats kinda the way it is.

Wow! Really?

Any explanation as to why they normally feel like a transmission with bad syncros when cold? Is there anything that can be done to alleviate the problem? (eg. fluid change)

synthetic fluid helps, but if you are saying it feels like bad synchros, it may be more than the typical roughness. when its cold it still goes into gear, but it is more difficult to do so. were you only seeing this when actually driving? did you try to row through the gears with the car off? could be clutch/flywheel more than anything else.

Ya, sitting still I could row through the gears just fine. It was just difficult when the car was moving. Something was definitely not right with the car though. I could see it being a clutch/flywheel issue also. With the issue, the dealer was ready to deal, but I'm not sure I want to inherit unknown problems even though it should be covered by the warranty still.

they only warranty the clutch for 12,000 miles.

the only thing i have to say is that the MS6 has one of the most difficult clutch and gear setup of most any production public accessable cars. but once you master it, you can make sports car miracles happen.

the only thing i have to say is that the MS6 has one of the most difficult clutch and gear setup of most any production public accessable cars. but once you master it, you can make sports car miracles happen.

thats true.. x 2 on that. wish mazda made this a better car (bang)

thats true.. x 2 on that. wish mazda made this a better car (bang)

Do the clutch adjustment yourself or go in and have the clutch changed under the TSB, all you have to say is that it is difficult for you to shift and they will change it out.

Do the clutch adjustment yourself or go in and have the clutch changed under the TSB, all you have to say is that it is difficult for you to shift and they will change it out.

you get used to the shifting on this car

but im not sure about that

you get used to the shifting on this car

but im not sure about that

(lol)Pretty sure it is a TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN for a reason and if you go into the dealership complaining about the exact situation at hand in the TSB they will swap it out. I WAS going to do it, but decided against it once I got there and spoke with the tech.

(lol)Pretty sure it is a TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN for a reason and if you go into the dealership complaining about the exact situation at hand in the TSB they will swap it out. I WAS going to do it, but decided against it once I got there and spoke with the tech.

why did u go against it

Because I am friends with the tech at my dealership and there was another guy employed there that had the TSB fix done on his Speed6 and after taking his for a spin, I really didn't like it. It feels like your driving a Ford Focus or something...just doesn't have any "Umph" to it as you would expect on a car like this. I looked into it, more out of curiosity rather than necessity, I have no problem with this clutch. But, it is an option to anyone who is having issues with theirs. It is a difficult clutch to master, don't get me wrong, I just took my time and learned it well.

Last edited:
the TSB only works for the first 12k miles of the clutch, or on a brand new clutch before its installed. i am already out of warrantee, and have replaced my clutch. so i just installed the rear motor mount, bought a short shifter, which will allow me to concentrate on the clutch and not shifting. eventually the WOT box will go in too. once this clutch goes, im getting the lightweight flywheel and stage 1, they can adjust it then. i dont think the car can get any more butter than that.

To hell with the dealerships. Unless that car just simply has something broken, get some of the good aftermarket mods others have done on these forums and the car becomes sweet.

(drive)

I just test drove a 2006 MS6 today and the transmission was extremely notchy and almost impossible to get into any gear. I didn't drive it more than a mile because I didn't feel safe driving it with the way the transmission was behaving, since it was difficult to get into just about every gear. When trying to downshift in to 3rd once, it sounded like there was some gear whine and you could feel a slight deceleration (not because I was off the gas) caused by me trying get the transmission into 3rd gear. Back in the parking lot of the dealer when sitting still the transmission shifted how I would expect a car with 30,000 miles to. It was about 50 degrees outside and the car was cold.

Is this normal behavior or is there something up with the drivetrain?

Thanks
That doesnt seem normal. Look for another speed6 to test drive. Maybe the car was abused? Is it the clutch you were having problems with or actually moving the shifter into the next gear? Even when my car was type-a(pre tsb) It wasnt notchy at all. That was with 48k miles. Sure the clutch was a bit hard to use. After the tsb my clutch is pretty easy still with some kick but nothing like before. Now my shifter is notchy. Mostly putting it in 1st and then to 2nd. I think something wasnt installed right with the cables since I have to keep adjusting them.

See if you can find an 07 with the upgraded clutch and give it a try. ;)

I test drove another 06 the other day and the clutch and transmission felt much different. I think this one had the clutch TSB done because it was much easier to modulate than other speed6s I have driven. Also the transmission shifted how I would expect it to.

On the speed6 I spoke of at the beginning of the thread, I was having difficulty getting it into any gear while moving (clutch was to the floor). While sitting still I could row through the gears (clutch to the floor) without any issues.

i was having a hard time shifting into first while my car was rolling. so last weekend i changed the fluid in my tranny and it is fixed. i highly recommend changing out the tranny fluid. while you're making the mess you might as well change the transfer case and rear differential fluids too.

masskaos...That might solve my current issue. (I just made a thread)...

But anyway, for a while now my car has been "notchy" in 1st and 2nd until its plenty warm...then I take it to mazda yesterday for oil and they find that the transfer case is leaky...coincidence?

Back