Flip Key

biggin55

I know that you can use a flip key on the Mazda3, and I know it has to be select ones. What I'm wondering is if an RX8 flip key Remote would work w/ the speed3, I have an extra one laying around from when I traded the 8.

Quote from an old thread re: this key... "MS3s in the states get the plain old key and remote. Canada got the flip key, but the US car transceiver is not compatible so they don't interchange. You can replace the transceiver in the car and all your keys for $300-400."

To clear this up. You can get a flip key/remote for '04-'06 US Mz3's. There are two remotes that work on the car's computer, one from a MX-5, and one from the Mz6 Sedan. The Mz6 remote has a trunk button which will do nothing on the 3, the MX-5 only has three buttons but costs more. The RX8 remote is not compatible with any year Mz3.

In 2007 Mazda changed the KEU in all US Mz3/MS3's.... really the model doesn't matter, only the year, because they all have the same remote system. Currently there are no flip remotes which can be programmed to '07+ US Mz3/MS3 computers. The key can still be programmed as the chip is the same across all models/years, just the remote can't be programmed.

Some Canadian Mz3/MS3's have flip keys, including '07+ models. It was thought that installing the Canadian KEU in a US 3 and getting the Canadian remote would fix the problem, however once someone tried it we found the Canadian KEU and US PJB don't play nice together.

I really isn't that big (or you have a small cell phone). It's only slightly larger than the standard remote.

Don't be so sure you want the flip key. Its huge. Its nearly the size of my cellphone!

Uhh...no, it's not. At least not the ones we have in Canada. It's relatively small and no bigger than any other remote fob I've come across.

Back