NEMOC Random BS Thread

Picked up a new car for Mary, 2018 Mazda 3 GS, mid level trim in Canada. My 1st Canadian car since 1992.

Wow, 7 yrs....by the way, great clean meet Kyle! [emoji6]

25997987.jpg

The meet may not have happened due to too much traveling, but at least I got the p5 running again last week! At 241k and still climbing away

Congrats on the new wheels Bruce.

A little update on my projects for those not on Social Media...

MR2: still waiting on body work, maybe next week, it also will need a new timing belt, cam seals, and valve seals. Im debating just taking the head off and sending it out to be professionally rebuilt, maybe a port job and new cam. The alternative is using a rope and shoving it through the spark plug hole until it fills the chamber and prevents the valves from moving while I replace the seals. I did get the exhaust sorted though, with some used parts and a new mid pipe and cat to go with a used TRD header...

bd9d151d430157a6f745ae08eac993f3.jpg

REPU: The tuning shop broke the transmission on the dyno, it is stuck in 3rd gear due to failing linkage most likely. I sourced a 5 speed replacement that has turned into a bit of a saga. The first trans that arrived was not a 5speed. Seller sent the wrong one. The second trans that arrived was a bit of a mess and the lower shaft appeared to be sticking out too far. They were thinking I needed a different bellhousing. After numerous queries to old school guys I finally convinced the shop to just tap the shaft with a rubber mallet to see if it had some play. It did, and my bell housing is going to fit just fine after all. Theyre waiting on a replacement throwout bearing and it should be back together next week. Just in time for me to store it for the winter.

bfb22e5e42862d0773b5a7d2d92d9867.jpg

Rx7: Im part way through pulling the motor. The engine bay is pretty grimy the closer I look at it. It appears some of the common seals have finally given out on the old motor. Dont care though, as I have the new street ported 12a ready to go in. Im actually going to drop the motor off with a friend this weekend so he can make me some custom power steering pulleys. I plan to run a gilmer drive belt for the alternator and water pump but it is wider than the stock pulley so the p/s pump and tensioner dont line up. I considered ditching the whole system but I kind of like having p/s for daily driving. The other option is a custom bracket. My friend has a machine shop in his basement and can probably do both. So Im just going to drop the motor off and let him have some fun.

fc8d88f73a1bfde17e72286e18f2b9a6.jpg

Congrats on the new wheels Bruce.

A little update on my projects for those not on Social Media...

MR2: still waiting on body work, maybe next week, it also will need a new timing belt, cam seals, and valve seals. Im debating just taking the head off and sending it out to be professionally rebuilt, maybe a port job and new cam. The alternative is using a rope and shoving it through the spark plug hole until it fills the chamber and prevents the valves from moving while I replace the seals. I did get the exhaust sorted though, with some used parts and a new mid pipe and cat to go with a used TRD header...

bd9d151d430157a6f745ae08eac993f3.jpg

REPU: The tuning shop broke the transmission on the dyno, it is stuck in 3rd gear due to failing linkage most likely. I sourced a 5 speed replacement that has turned into a bit of a saga. The first trans that arrived was not a 5speed. Seller sent the wrong one. The second trans that arrived was a bit of a mess and the lower shaft appeared to be sticking out too far. They were thinking I needed a different bellhousing. After numerous queries to old school guys I finally convinced the shop to just tap the shaft with a rubber mallet to see if it had some play. It did, and my bell housing is going to fit just fine after all. Theyre waiting on a replacement throwout bearing and it should be back together next week. Just in time for me to store it for the winter.

bfb22e5e42862d0773b5a7d2d92d9867.jpg

Rx7: Im part way through pulling the motor. The engine bay is pretty grimy the closer I look at it. It appears some of the common seals have finally given out on the old motor. Dont care though, as I have the new street ported 12a ready to go in. Im actually going to drop the motor off with a friend this weekend so he can make me some custom power steering pulleys. I plan to run a gilmer drive belt for the alternator and water pump but it is wider than the stock pulley so the p/s pump and tensioner dont line up. I considered ditching the whole system but I kind of like having p/s for daily driving. The other option is a custom bracket. My friend has a machine shop in his basement and can probably do both. So Im just going to drop the motor off and let him have some fun.

fc8d88f73a1bfde17e72286e18f2b9a6.jpg

Great update! Glad to hear the tranny issue got worked out!

Since 91, awesome! Pic?

Nothing yet. Eternal Mica Blue hatchback with auto. Very nice car but haven't pushed it yet. Auto has a sport mode which holds the revs and will downshift when braking. Also a manual mode which will run to the rev limit and stay without bumping to the next gear, tried this on a demo not Mary's, yet.

2 gripes so far, switch for the power mirrors is in an awkward place for me and the touch screen turns off when moving, forcing you to use the big knob on the console. Why is this so much safer than using the touchscreen when rolling?? Mazda you ****** up there.

Car is getting 29mpg for running around town and short trips on winter tires. Doing a long trip tomorrow and will get a better idea of the mileage. Auto headlights, rain sensing wipers and a start button, I'm still getting used too. I keep pulling out the fob to stick the key in.

I'll get some pics up soon, snow last week and pouring rain this week don't help.

Nothing yet. Eternal Mica Blue hatchback with auto. Very nice car but haven't pushed it yet. Auto has a sport mode which holds the revs and will downshift when braking. Also a manual mode which will run to the rev limit and stay without bumping to the next gear, tried this on a demo not Mary's, yet.

2 gripes so far, switch for the power mirrors is in an awkward place for me and the touch screen turns off when moving, forcing you to use the big knob on the console. Why is this so much safer than using the touchscreen when rolling?? Mazda you ****** up there.

Car is getting 29mpg for running around town and short trips on winter tires. Doing a long trip tomorrow and will get a better idea of the mileage. Auto headlights, rain sensing wipers and a start button, I'm still getting used too. I keep pulling out the fob to stick the key in.

I'll get some pics up soon, snow last week and pouring rain this week don't help.

There are tweeks which you can apply through the usb hub that can eliminate the shutting down of the touch screen. Ive got the hang of the control knob and it is fine...but touch is so much better....You still need to look at the screen so I dont get it either?
Enjoy the ride! You working yet?

There are tweeks which you can apply through the usb hub that can eliminate the shutting down of the touch screen. I*ve got the hang of the control knob and it is fine...but touch is so much better....You still need to look at the screen so I don*t get it either?
Enjoy the ride! You working yet?

Great, what are the tweaks?

Still working the lumber job but it should be finishing up this week. Will take a break and then look for another driving job.

How about you?

Great, what are the tweaks?

Still working the lumber job but it should be finishing up this week. Will take a break and then look for another driving job.

How about you?

Mazdatweeks.com check it out....

Im finishing up at the Toyota dealership next month, after Christmas. Heading south until May!

Nice form! So spring cleaning meet? Maybe in May? [emoji6]

Ill be fully settled in by then so it's always a possibility :p

p5 was running great after the timing belt change, now a few weeks later I have a ton of hesitation/stuttering under throttle. No CEL is consistent. I can occasionally pull a few pending faults of misfire cylinder 1, 4, or random. Plus a p1250 now and again. Really weird and tough trying to diagnose this!

Ill be fully settled in by then so it's always a possibility :p

p5 was running great after the timing belt change, now a few weeks later I have a ton of hesitation/stuttering under throttle. No CEL is consistent. I can occasionally pull a few pending faults of misfire cylinder 1, 4, or random. Plus a p1250 now and again. Really weird and tough trying to diagnose this!

Coil pack?

Speaking of coil packs, Im long over due for changing out the spark plugs on the CX9. I just looked up the forum thread and its going to be quite a process because they wedges that V6 in tight against the firewall. The back 3 will require removing the intake box and plenum and replacing the seals before it goes back together. Just another reason the Rotary is so great. I can change those plugs in 2 minutes!

Speaking of coil packs, Im long over due for changing out the spark plugs on the CX9. I just looked up the forum thread and its going to be quite a process because they wedges that V6 in tight against the firewall. The back 3 will require removing the intake box and plenum and replacing the seals before it goes back together. Just another reason the Rotary is so great. I can change those plugs in 2 minutes!

Thats how the change on the v6 rav4 was. Took a few hours to get the plugs and coils swapped out

Slow and steady, pulling parts off the RX7, cataloging the bolts and fasteners, then doing my best to clean off 30yrs of grime including that nasty rust preventative stuff.

93a5002d6a09bb4db4c191cb552608f4.jpg

f817890df500fa55385137e4c67171ee.jpg

Back