NEMOC Random BS Thread

When are you taking the windshield off?

52164078.jpg

Speaking of which, article going around of a kid who killed himself in a home built kart made from a Honda Civic. I hope your roll protection is up to snuff because his certainly wasn’t. Looked like he made it out of tooth picks and Elmer’s glue and the welds snapped right off upon impact.

Speaking of which, article going around of a kid who killed himself in a home built kart made from a Honda Civic. I hope your roll protection is up to snuff because his certainly wasn’t. Looked like he made it out of tooth picks and Elmer’s glue and the welds snapped right off upon impact.

Yeah, no, I saw that thing too. That thing looked terrifying, sucks that it cost him his life. Mine's built to SCCA wheel-to-wheel racing specs. I expect in an impact like that, the rest of the car would crumple around the survival cell the cage makes.

I appreciate the concern tho. A firefighter friend of mine says the only thing more dangerous than not having a fire extinguisher handy, is having an empty or faulty fire extinguisher.

That guy had an empty fire extinguisher. I went into the cage knowing I wanted to do Hill Climbs, which require the highest level of safety in the SCCA Time Trial umbrella of events, and from the get go, having attended a couple of HCs, decided that safety wasn't something I wanted to **** around with. It's just not worth it. A good cage is expensive, but it beats being dead.

Last edited:
Yeah, no, I saw that thing too. That thing looked terrifying, sucks that it cost him his life. Mine's built to SCCA wheel-to-wheel racing specs. I expect in an impact like that, the rest of the car would crumple around the survival cell the cage makes.

I appreciate the concern tho. A firefighter friend of mine says the only thing more dangerous than not having a fire extinguisher handy, is having an empty or faulty fire extinguisher.

That guy had an empty fire extinguisher. I went into the cage knowing I wanted to do Hill Climbs, which require the highest level of safety in the SCCA Time Trial umbrella of events, and from the get go, having attended a couple of HCs, decided that safety wasn't something I wanted to **** around with. It's just not worth it. A good cage is expensive, but it beats being dead.

You crazy man! But if you make it up to Mt Washington, let me know and I’ll come watch!

You crazy man! But if you make it up to Mt Washington, let me know and I’ll come watch!

I'm not sure I'm man enough for Mt Washington. That road is CRAZY (and dirt isn't really my game). An acquaintance of mine wrote off his race car on the rocks towards the top last year.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I'm man enough for Mt Washington. That road is CRAZY (and dirt isn't really my game). An acquaintance of mine wrote off his race car on the rocks towards the top last year.

Chris and I did the hill a few years back, could see 15 ft in front of you...

So fixed this today
Sexy!

Slow day at work today so I spent some time on the Rx7. Track day tomorrow at Palmer. The techs at the autocross school pointed out my front bearings were a little loose so I popped off the dust cap and tightened them down. I also regreased the idle arm, checked all the fluids, and gave the car a wash. The paint is starting to oxidize. I wish I knew a good auto detailer to help me with that :(

I know the group has more or less spread out, but my wife and I are closing on a house soon in central CT so I could host a spring clean, summer, whenever meet up for us!

Congrats! I'd be in.

Just got back from vacation in San Francisco. Amanda’s aunt and uncle took us up in their twin engine plane. We flew from Walnut Creek to Bridgeport and back. I thought we were just going up for a quick loop...nope, we literally crossed the Sierra’s had lunch then flew back.

Yosemite Falls from 5,000 ft.

We did the usual SF stuff as well.

Then of course we came home and got some more work done on the MR2. The rear end is complete. All new bushings, tie rods, ball joints, end links, bearings, shocks, springs, pads, rotors, brake lines and e-brake cables, the works! We stalled out on the front. Had to pull the steering rack to get the inner tie rods off and it had to come out anyway to replace the bushings. Not long before it’s back on the road.

Very nice Chris and the lunch story is awesome!

So, landed a job today, 3 days a week, greeting customers and moving cars in and out of the service area. No heavy lifting!

(drinks)

Fixed some additional items on the ND....

Suspension tomorrow

Nice. Have to say that I like the Spyder grill with lights. What is the light in the center of your grill?

So fixed this today

"Fixed" (rlaugh)

So very shiny. Saw the sound clips over on m.net, sound good too!

Nice, what was wrong with it? Looks new.....

Moved into the house this week. Seems strange being able to walk around after living in the RV for 6 years.

Autox school on Saturday and autox on Sunday​

Wow, you had the RV six years? Doesn't seem like that long, enjoy all that new space. :)

As for Mark, that is his new shiny exhaust that he bought to "fix" his stock exhaust. You know, the ND he wasn't going to mod?! :p

Last edited:
Another track day in the books, the wettest I’ve experienced thus far. Not the best conditions to try out my new Nitto NT01s. First session wasn’t bad (below) but by the third session it was raining hard and the car was floating over the track like it was ice. I almost called it quits and then they black flagged everyone. A Saturn Sky did a few 360s on the front straight. He survived without any damage and when the mud was cleaned up they let us back out. By that point though I was about 40 seconds off my normal pace and just coasting around the corners so the car wouldn’t hydroplane.

https://youtu.be/eZ5I6Y-Lk3U

Another track day in the books, the wettest I’ve experienced thus far. Not the best conditions to try out my new Nitto NT01s. First session wasn’t bad (below) but by the third session it was raining hard and the car was floating over the track like it was ice. I almost called it quits and then they black flagged everyone. A Saturn Sky did a few 360s on the front straight. He survived without any damage and when the mud was cleaned up they let us back out. By that point though I was about 40 seconds off my normal pace and just coasting around the corners so the car wouldn’t hydroplane.

https://youtu.be/eZ5I6Y-Lk3U

Nice driving Chris! I knew you catch him!! I don’t hear your shift [emoji931]??

Congrats! I'd be in.

Very nice Chris and the lunch story is awesome!

(drinks)

Nice. Have to say that I like the Spyder grill with lights. What is the light in the center of your grill?

"Fixed" (rlaugh)

Wow, you had the RV six years? Doesn't seem like that long, enjoy all that new space. :)

As for Mark, that is his new shiny exhaust that he bought to "fix" his stock exhaust. You know, the ND he wasn't going to mod?! :p

+1, just fixed the suspension with a mice set of progress springs!
New grill has a new quick plate mount as well, and I can remove it at Larz Anderson on Miata Day! [emoji6]

"Fixed" (rlaugh)

It’s a small led light bar for the dark back roads. I thought it would be a bit more stealthy....ya the exhaust is perfect not loud and cleans up the tinny sound of the stock muffler.

Back