NEMOC Random BS Thread

Hard to tell in the pic, but is that hard up against the port? Or is that just before the 2-1 merge collector?

Hard to tell in the pic, but is that hard up against the port? Or is that just before the 2-1 merge collector?

This is where the header meets the mid-pipes. I have a long primary exhaust and they don’t collect until the silencer behind the rear axle. I got the dual kit so i could monitor both rotors. From what I’ve heard, the rear usually runs a little lean so it’s good to monitor both. I’ll be able to adjust the injectors separately with the software. Also, i ditched the bungs that came with the kit in favor of these heat-sink style bungs which should help with the excessive rotary exhaust temps.

ah ok, yeah that makes more sense. It looked *way* too close to the head without more context in the picture, but down at that end of the runner should be just fine.

New tires for this season. First event is SCCA Starting Line school at Devens on Saturday the 7th.

b95e5b908f1f0c171086c120cea17e44.jpg

Cool, did he slide into the General Lee through thd window? Haha. Cant believe how big he is. Another sign that Im getting old.

They packed a lot of cars in there.

Ive been contemplating Larz this year. Anything specific to bring for the day?

They have Miata day and as Chris said Japanese day. You need nothing...small entrance fee, plenty of food from the onsite vendor. I was talking with the mass Miata club and they were thinking of another venue this year....I’ll check with them and post up if there is a change. The Japanese day is huge and the variety plenty!

They have Miata day (July 15th) and as Chris said Japanese day. You need nothing...small entrance fee, plenty of food from the onsite vendor. I was talking with the mass Miata club and they were thinking of another venue this year....I’ll check with them and post up if there is a change. The Japanese day is huge and the variety plenty!

Last edited:
Cool, did he slide into the General Lee through thd window? Haha. Cant believe how big he is. Another sign that Im getting old.

They packed a lot of cars in there.

Ive been contemplating Larz this year. Anything specific to bring for the day?
haha, nope...but I told all about the general lee!

Didnt know about the Japanese day, I was looking at the Miata day on July 15th. Maybe Ill try for both.

Break out those old VHS tapes of the Dukes to show him!

Well it's time to start packing up for the return trip home on Apr 14. Did an oil change on Mia after a winter of autox's to get her ready for May 5th weekend of autox's back home. Next is to get the RV ready which will require 2 new front tires, engine battery and a good wash before we hit the road.

Once back home we move into a house for May 1st and unload the rig to sell it in late spring. Going to be a busy spring.

Don't pack up yet Bruce. Ol' man winter isn't done up here yet and it's driving me crazy. haha

How did you do this winter in the autox? Wishing you safe travels home!

As if I didn’t have enough on-going car projects, I picked up a toy for Amanda. This needs close to a full restoration but it’s a complete unmolested runner with 185k. She is going to work on it with me. I’m not turning a wrench without her in the garage with me. The seller had the car since the early 90’s and had a stack of receipts, enough to piece together a basic history. Unfortunately that history includes a trip to Maaco so the paint presents well in photos but looks quite horrid up close. The day we took it home I placed a big order for parts.

Phase 1: all new brakes, brake lines, bearings, tie rods, ball joints, shocks, and springs. There was nothing in the paperwork about when this stuff was done and I figured it would be best to just tear it all down and build it back up again.

Phase 2: I also got a new radiator and hoses and plan to flush all the fluids.

Phase 3: It smokes at startup and I think it’s the valve seals. That’s new territory for me but I ordered a seal kit, water pump, cap, rotor, plugs, and fresh belts to rebuild the top end. Last time the timing belt was done was 30k ago but over 10 years.

Phase 4: find a better bumper, fix the rust in the rear quarter and wrap or plastidip the paint to hide the fabulous Maaco work. Amanda also wants to refinish the steering wheel, shift boot, and maybe drop in new seats. Plus there is a small crack in the dash that needs to be addressed.

The car was cheap, real cheap, so I figured it was a better investment than paying more for a car that was going to need all the same stuff. I know the motor and transmission are solid...and these cars will run forever. Most parts, aside from the shocks and struts, were cheap too. $10 for a brake rotor? Check!

And now for some photos...
98c6fb9939794362e0d5dd8cee5f76d5.jpeg

16132e06810c8cdf8b005ce2efbde851.jpeg

cc57094f13589ed9255c86254d45db7b.jpg

fd8127a01aefeadf47de97bcf122e476.jpg

f6b3a18c8cbad1f5dfbfcfd96b54b660.jpeg

35f927c05de4cd7459ced15471e8aee6.jpg

Don't pack up yet Bruce. Ol' man winter isn't done up here yet and it's driving me crazy. haha

How did you do this winter in the autox? Wishing you safe travels home!

Not bad. 1st overall at a porsche event and a 1st in STR in early winter. But not too great in the last few events. My tires are worn out and will need replacing when I get back. Have no choice weather wise unfortunately, start work in May and need to move in for May, busy busy busy.

Mounted 2 new tires on the RV yesterday. Needs a wash, generator oil change and a new battery this week.

Wow Chris, not much of a social life I guess. Looks like a good starting point though.

Attended the SCCA starting line autox school this weekend. I will admit, autox is tons of fun, but it just isn’t worth spending the whole day for such limited seat time. The instructor said my RX7 was the most balanced car she drove that day and she liked the seating and wheel position. I started to get comfortable toward the end, but it just wasn’t enough time for me to figure things out. I started with a 0:39 run and got it down to 0:35. That was quicker than the guys in muscle cars but an ND Miata and RX8 were running 0:33 and a really fast EVO got down to 0:31. I can’t expect to keep up with that pace in a 33 yr old car...but I’ll definitely try. I know I had a 0:34 in me if i pieced together my best sections.

Agreed. I'm amazed at the price that some clubs charge for a school day. To me you're better off going to an event and grabbing an instructor for some of your runs or to work on a specific issue.

Workload for today, run the genny and do an oil change, drain and replace the fresh water tanks.

Back